• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

The Overpricedness of leather

Do you think leather is overpriced?

• Yep. I should pay a lot less for my leather.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Nope. Leather is certainly worth the current price.

Votes: 22 71.0%

• Total voters
I saw someone selling a leather chestplate for 25 souls. This, in my opinion, is ridiculous. Of course, I am not arguing with the overpricedness of leather because I am a farmer who can sell it for an insane amount of money, but how did it get to be 1/2.5+ ?

What do you think? Do you think leather is ridiculously overpriced or do you think it's worth what it's worth? Vote in the polls below!
:)

Xelarator1

Obsidian
Diminishing the value of your product isn't a bright thing to do, friend.

Nevertheless, that ratio seems somewhat generous considering how tedious and time consuming leather making is. I'm pretty sure you know how the whole process works, right? You are a Farmer after all.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Around 2 to 2.5 per leather seems reasonable to me. There's a lot of work for little return, imho, not that I've done Farmer this map as yet.

I would actually prefer the price to be higher. :D When the price is low, there isn't much incentive to keep stocks available, which is what we're seeing. Farmers just tend to produce to order. And now that Township housing doesn't need cooked beef, there's even less incentive to breed cows - a reduction to the value of taking on the Farmer profession.

_DELETED_10000

Legacy Supporter 3
I have placeholder leather on the market for while I'm out of town, and I don't know if it has sold or not. However, I do know that people have questioned my price several times.

It is sitting at 200 souls for a stack of 64 leather.

I think that the price is justified, personally. As Xelerator1 and Witch have said, breeding cows is an intense, tedious process. The amount of thought alone that goes into attempting to breed sustainably and with a high return is probably more than the average non-farmer Herocrafter ever has to go through.

As a farmer, you can farm cows for four hours and have exactly four stacks of leather (lucky night I'm referencing) and know that you will have barely met the needs of a quarter of the town members. At this point, you can undercut for a loss (What feels like a loss, based on time spent compared to if I had just punched wheat.), or you can hand them off to be enchanted to an enchanter. At that point, you can then spend 45 minutes per set trying to get enchants worth a profit, however considering you've just revealed you have four stacks of leather and must donate at least half to the town, you're now in the hole on time spent vs. profit. Unless you're also an enchanter, at which point you can then invest 400 souls or 200 souls (codexes/relics) ONE WAY to switch to the enchanter...again, which puts you not only 4 hours deep into the leather, but also 200-800 souls deep into profession switching, not including enchanting time.

THEN you can put your product on the market and have it bashed for being overpriced.

I personally thought I'd make ends meet by selling off the cooked beef on the side, until I saw a stack of 64 for like 2 souls on the market. Which is now more time and effort on my side as I need to find a hungry town willing to buy in bulk just to effectively unload it.

I get several messages daily asking if I have any leather for sale, and as Witch said I usually just produce to order for my town, so I don't normally have any on hand...Which, why would I? I've gotten offers of 30 souls a stack, wanting 3-6 stacks right NOW expecting me to hop my happy arse down to TD and roll around in my 180 souls for 6 hours of work like I just hit the lotto.

I have yet to sell a single stack of leather. (Sans marketplace sales I'm unaware of) It goes right to my town, because at least there I know I'm getting some of my effort back in compensation gear.

Long story short, I think the price of many goods is UNDER market value considering time spent and invested. 25 souls for, presumably an unenchanted leather chestplate, seems perfectly within reason, to me.

(Caps for emphasis cause being on mobile sucks.)

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
I sell leather for 80s a stack, it does not take an hour to get a stack with looting 3. I would have a stock ready for anyone but I lost my looting sword and ATM hc doesn't interest me enough to play over heroes of the storm.

Btw in Bastion 40s was considered overpriced, I sold for 32s/stack and I was fine with it. Just do something else on the side and come back every 5 mins when the cooldowns are off

_DELETED_10000

Legacy Supporter 3
I sell leather for 80s a stack, it does not take an hour to get a stack with looting 3. I would have a stock ready for anyone but I lost my looting sword and ATM hc doesn't interest me enough to play over heroes of the storm.

Btw in Bastion 40s was considered overpriced, I sold for 32s/stack and I was fine with it. Just do something else on the side and come back every 5 mins when the cooldowns are off

I see what you're saying, but disagree.

/skill cow is not the only time consuming thing, nor is it solely how I farm cows. Even with doing other things (my current project involves clipping over 200 lines of vines while I wait), it shouldn't be a factor in price.

Nor should previous server experience. I can give myself hundreds of stacks in creative... It doesn't determine the price in HC, right now.

My statement was not based on Looting 3 as I do not have Looting 3. Unless the information provided to me was inaccurate, it is insanely difficult to get Looting 3 and I don't believe that should be a deciding factor in price for the average market. Sure, if you have it and can be competitive in your pricing because you can produce more leather, more power to you. That's the point. Those with the means to produce more, quicker, easier, gain the advantage of being able to price competitively and not take a loss.

Currently, I can not jutstify pricing at less than or equal to 1s per leather. Personally.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
I see what you're saying, but disagree.

/skill cow is not the only time consuming thing, nor is it solely how I farm cows. Even with doing other things (my current project involves clipping over 200 lines of vines while I wait), it shouldn't be a factor in price.

Nor should previous server experience. I can give myself hundreds of stacks in creative... It doesn't determine the price in HC, right now.

My statement was not based on Looting 3 as I do not have Looting 3. Unless the information provided to me was inaccurate, it is insanely difficult to get Looting 3 and I don't believe that should be a deciding factor in price for the average market. Sure, if you have it and can be competitive in your pricing because you can produce more leather, more power to you. That's the point. Those with the means to produce more, quicker, easier, gain the advantage of being able to price competitively and not take a loss.

Currently, I can not jutstify pricing at less than or equal to 1s per leather. Personally.
Looting 3 is actually fairly common

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
As someone who has mained farmer for like 4 maps now:

Leather CAN be tedious to get, especially in large numbers. Without looting it is god awful to get, with looting it isn't so bad. I've been suggesting a double drop chance passive for mob kills for a while, it would work just like Herbalism, except on passive mobs. It would help. Even with doing other things, the only reason I could farm was because you can shear mooshrooms and start breeding early, but then you hit the aggravating breed cap of "It's too crowded".

As to the price, well that also comes with the inflation of Souls. With townships they're stupidly easy to get, look at the top 10 in /money top, I have 26k and I fell out of that because I lost my town. The top person I think has like 50k. More "printed" money = money is worth less = things cost more.

The man @Jonsoon handles our economy usually, and if he has any input can add some, but as a person who's been around, the server essentially printed waaaaay too much money and now Souls are crap. Tying Coins to Gold was the best move, as that was the main way to make money. I still think the server should have a set amount of money, to force the economy to be a real economy and not just 3 people making thousands and thousands of souls from townships.

Belisarius1991

Legacy Supporter 3
Leather is one of the more rare goods. We have tons of iron in our town, but I have to ration leather because it is more difficult to come by. I think the price of leather is fair based upon the time it takes to make it. And I'm no farmer. But I do wear leather armor. I have no complaints about the price of leather. Based on the poll, most people agree the price is fair.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2

Leather CAN be tedious to get, especially in large numbers. Without looting it is god awful to get, with looting it isn't so bad. I've been suggesting a double drop chance passive for mob kills for a while, it would work just like Herbalism, except on passive mobs. It would help. Even with doing other things, the only reason I could farm was because you can shear mooshrooms and start breeding early, but then you hit the aggravating breed cap of "It's too crowded".

As to the price, well that also comes with the inflation of Souls. With townships they're stupidly easy to get, look at the top 10 in /money top, I have 26k and I fell out of that because I lost my town. The top person I think has like 50k. More "printed" money = money is worth less = things cost more.

The man @Jonsoon handles our economy usually, and if he has any input can add some, but as a person who's been around, the server essentially printed waaaaay too much money and now Souls are crap. Tying Coins to Gold was the best move, as that was the main way to make money. I still think the server should have a set amount of money, to force the economy to be a real economy and not just 3 people making thousands and thousands of souls from townships.
You can breed an mcow then shear them both and breed them again right away also

Diminishing the value of your product isn't a bright thing to do, friend.

Nevertheless, that ratio seems somewhat generous considering how tedious and time consuming leather making is. I'm pretty sure you know how the whole process works, right? You are a Farmer after all.

Yeah, I know how tedious it is. Although, I have a patented technique (which I will not divulge) that gets you about 3 stacks per hour. So it isn't all that tedious, but for the average farmer, yes it is a pain. Also I have a looting III sword so GG.

a

The breeding cap is a very irritating thing, but is only per chunk. If you can circulate your cows between chunks you shouldn't have to worry about it.

DeltaEmerald

Stone

I Completely Agree, leather is tedious and it is a menace to get without looting stuffs, and that takes supposedly a max level enchanter, I myself need a little bit more time with farming because of my god-awful 1fps potato computer, and I agree also that souls are a menace to get, and they are a bit crap to get for players new and old. Anyone have a looting hoe I can buy? Nobody ever has one on the market, and I do not think it is possible to get it anytime soon with a computer that can barely go on internet explorer and vote.

Air_Restraint

Legacy Supporter 6
TBH. Farming is easy as hell. So is breeding cows to get the leather.... But Farmer is one the most ANNOYING prof to master. And also since most classes do use leather for armor makes the price what it is. Might also have something to do with souls being very easy to obtain and there is abundance of souls from the townie plugin.

TBH. Farming is easy as hell. So is breeding cows to get the leather.... But Farmer is one the most ANNOYING prof to master. And also since most classes do use leather for armor makes the price what it is. Might also have something to do with souls being very easy to obtain and there is abundance of souls from the townie plugin.

While you can be correct, you can also be wrong.
Farming has a lot to do with the strategy and situation of the farmer. For instance, does the farmer have a huge field of wheat? Does he have a small one? Does he have multiple chunks of cows? Does he have looting? This is what farming cows and leather depends on. So in some cases, you may be right and leather may be easy as hell to get leather, but for others it may seem difficult and exceptionally tedious without the use of a multiple-chunk farm or looting weapon.

Air_Restraint

Legacy Supporter 6
While you can be correct, you can also be wrong.
Farming has a lot to do with the strategy and situation of the farmer. For instance, does the farmer have a huge field of wheat? Does he have a small one? Does he have multiple chunks of cows? Does he have looting? This is what farming cows and leather depends on. So in some cases, you may be right and leather may be easy as hell to get leather, but for others it may seem difficult and exceptionally tedious without the use of a multiple-chunk farm or looting weapon.
I've done breeding before... It's very simple lol.

_DELETED_10000

Legacy Supporter 3
I've done breeding before... It's very simple lol.

Yes, right-clicking wheat on one cow and then right-clicking wheat on another cow and watching them literally bump uglies (hate that cow skin) is quite simple.

I don't think that's what Epic was saying.

I do believe we're getting into a sort of, thinking the fish is stupid because it can't climb a tree, situation.

Since my last post I have been gifted with a looting II sword.

It took me about an hour before I was ready to kill the first batch in the pasture, and I got about half a stack on the first run through. I was antsy and wanted to see what kinda drops I was going to see with the new sword, since ya'll made it sound like a looting sword was like Kainzo popping up in front of you and making it rain stacks of leather. I was not impressed.

I brought the pasture to max capacity, and slaughtered all the adults. 4 1/2 stacks. Not bad. But again, not a god's gift to farmers. Went afk for them to mature as I was bored, then killed the rest and walked away with about 8 stacks.

Maybe it's looting 3, or an infinite pasture, or multiple farmers that I'm missing which is standing between me and the umpteen stacks an hour ya'll are boasting about.

Or maybe there's a touch of exaggeration going about? Honestly, with the way ya'll are talking down leather acquisition, I wouldn't pay more than .5 souls a piece. I should just switch to something like Smith or Enchanter, and buy all my leather from JoshForReal or Trazil. Oh, wait...

Anyway, I think uh...the Lothair General Store's prices are pretty good. Not lo-balling, nor gouging. 115s a stack last time I was there, with a nice stock. And his product is selling, so I suppose the market picked the middle ground.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Yes, right-clicking wheat on one cow and then right-clicking wheat on another cow and watching them literally bump uglies (hate that cow skin) is quite simple.

I don't think that's what Epic was saying.

I do believe we're getting into a sort of, thinking the fish is stupid because it can't climb a tree, situation.

Since my last post I have been gifted with a looting II sword.

It took me about an hour before I was ready to kill the first batch in the pasture, and I got about half a stack on the first run through. I was antsy and wanted to see what kinda drops I was going to see with the new sword, since ya'll made it sound like a looting sword was like Kainzo popping up in front of you and making it rain stacks of leather. I was not impressed.

I brought the pasture to max capacity, and slaughtered all the adults. 4 1/2 stacks. Not bad. But again, not a god's gift to farmers. Went afk for them to mature as I was bored, then killed the rest and walked away with about 8 stacks.

Maybe it's looting 3, or an infinite pasture, or multiple farmers that I'm missing which is standing between me and the umpteen stacks an hour ya'll are boasting about.

Or maybe there's a touch of exaggeration going about? Honestly, with the way ya'll are talking down leather acquisition, I wouldn't pay more than .5 souls a piece. I should just switch to something like Smith or Enchanter, and buy all my leather from JoshForReal or Trazil. Oh, wait...

Anyway, I think uh...the Lothair General Store's prices are pretty good. Not lo-balling, nor gouging. 115s a stack last time I was there, with a nice stock. And his product is selling, so I suppose the market picked the middle ground.
I would be on getting leather, but atm HC holds no interest to me. I get on answer some questions do some assign pe's but i really don't play the server much right now. However you it is still very easy to get leather.
1. Spawn a normal cow
2. Spawn a mcow.
3. sheer the mcow
4. breed the two
5. Repeat steps 1-4 multiple times
6. Slaughter when ready, preferring looting weapons over others
with looting 3 you can sometimes get like 7 from 1 cow, and you have a chance at spawning up to 3 (which happens fairly often between the 2 skills) on top of the cows that you should have been breeding. It is pretty simple.

Btw 1 stack of leather will buy you a looting 3 sword of any material (diamond/wood)

@JoshForReal Sugar cane and sheep are best :D