• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion PvP logging needs a change.

macura

Diamond
Wait... what? This coming from the guy who /killed himself 3 times in the span of 30 minutes because, and i quote "I don't want to give you the satisfaction of killing me, because you didn't deserve it".
I do admit to killing myself yes, however this is slightly exaggerated. I did not /kill myself, i jumped off a cliff with no stuff and i blinked off a hill because i was at around a heart after confronting 2 of his town members and killing them. I was then chased by the rest of the town when i blinked off the hill. This did not happen 3 times, it happened twice (the first time because i got annoyed that i got killed by 3 people, so i decided to annoy them back, so i ran from the graveyard, attacked two of them and decided to jump off a cliff). I didn't do it to save a pvp rating, i had recently switched back to wizard, from ninja(around level 25), so my rating would have most likely been around 1200 to 1300(even though i am a low leveled ninja i like attacking people, so i died a lot). However the part about blinking because i didn't think that they deserved the kill is completely true. The first time i did it, i did it mostly just to annoy you guys and i didn't care that i died because i had no stuff. The second time was far more douchey and i guess i should not have done that even though i still believe the kill was not deserved.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Kainzo As you can plainly see, what was once a semi-rational discussion has devoled into a whine fest. If you don't lock this thread soon your gonna have to start passing out cheese.

w0nd3rb0y

Legacy Supporter 5
MajorasMask let me ask you this? Why would it be an issue to have the NPC. Who in their right mind would just log out in the middle of nowhere? That just seems stupid, and if your NPC dies, then that will teach you to log out in a safer place. Although this server is not technically a pvp server, PVP is still very much a large portion of the lore. This isn't a creative server. If you don't want to be killed, stay inside, simple solution.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
MajorasMask let me ask you this? Why would it be an issue to have the NPC. Who in their right mind would just log out in the middle of nowhere? That just seems stupid, and if your NPC dies, then that will teach you to log out in a safer place. Although this server is not technically a pvp server, PVP is still very much a large portion of the lore. This isn't a creative server. If you don't want to be killed, stay inside, simple solution.
Pssh the lore is only based on the Zo and towns :/ (Sorry I rant I rant) But I honestly don't think an NPC is a good idea because of dcing and times when you only need to log out for a second. Plus It may cause lag (Not sure of this) and mobs might aggro to them regardless of it being safe or not. (Not sure if that can be changed or if changing it might cause exploits.) And tbh I'd say 5 seconds of time would be enough IF it can be implemented. When you see a player closing the gap in 5 seconds shouldn't be a hard thing to do.

This could also completely replace the combat tag, or change it at least. Make it so the combat tag only keep you online (NPC) until it wears off and you wait 5 seconds. Kinda liking this idea the more I think about it.

So this: NPC spawn upon logging out. No more death when logging out with the combat tag, but it keeps your NPC around longer. 5seconds is the base waiting time. NPC shares health and stats (If possible) and dies at the same rate. (Optional) Add support for disconnecting so this is completely overridden. (Might have exploits, but some people have shit internet/unstable PCs)
Add to it if you want, but I think that's a good idea.

EDIT: Uh I wrote this at first hating the BASE NPC idea you guys had and made my tweaks until I liked it. (Just in case I seemed like a crazy person when you read this.)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We aren't re-introducing NPCs at this time, at least not in the ways described in this thread
. The system works as intended. If you can't keep someone in combat for more than X seconds - they can log freely.

Here's what I want to do ultimately (our own game/client/whatever)
If you are not in a "safe" zone (main spawn/graveyard) logging out will take 20-30 seconds. Even if you "disconnect"/crash - your character will be kept on the server (alive/kicking) for 30 seconds until it times out.

This is how most MMO's handle it. This is the road we want to take and will take when possible. "Combat" won't even be a measure in it, your character will stay in game for 20-30s no matter what...

We could make a command /logout - that will take 15-20s to use and once completed your character will instantly log off.

c12095

Holy Shit!
We could make a command /logout - that will take 15-20s to use and once completed your character will instantly log off.

If it has a slow attached to the log out timer, like recall, that would work.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8

What would happen if we logged out the old fashioned way? Instant death? If so I like this idea.

zachimon

Legacy Supporter 7
What would happen if we logged out the old fashioned way? Instant death? If so I like this idea.
No you would stay for about 30 seconds, and I can't take your posts seriously when your picture is jon lajoie with that beard and the rapists glasses.

TheMrLief

Legacy Supporter 7
I log out in the middle of nowhere all the time... That hardly seems fair.

TheMrLief

Legacy Supporter 7
We'll see, but it isnt illegal to avoid pvp.
It's just gets annoying when you see someone how they just log out right away or when you're chasing someone and they log out when the combat timer goes off.

Upb34t

Legacy Supporter 3
Apparently everyone wants the so called 'hardcore' pvp, but how come that the 'hardcore' pvp equals the principle of "I don't need to put thoughts into this attack, they can't do anything but fight!"

At least in my opinion 'hardcore' pvp is not mere engaging in combat upon sight, but rather tactical approaching someone, combat tagging them to prevent them from logging out and then finishing the opponent off. Something that has to be planned, carefully done and also requires at least some kind of skill of both players...

No one should be safe from being killed in the wilderness in any way, but the proclaimed solution only shows how bad you're looking for a way to get a kill and a reason why you would not have gotten the kill the other way...

Not trying to accuse/offend anyone, but not getting the kill, because you let your opponent know that you were there, does not justify introducing the rule "I see you, now you have to fight me!" and it would be in no way hardcore to encourage two players to merely attack eachother instead of encouraging thinking about what you are going to do in order to get the kill (including the entire process of sneaking up on someone, hindering them from logging out and then preventing them from killing you)...

Apparently everyone wants the so called 'hardcore' pvp, but how come that the 'hardcore' pvp equals the principle of "I don't need to put thoughts into this attack, they can't do anything but fight!"

At least in my opinion 'hardcore' pvp is not mere engaging in combat upon sight, but rather tactical approaching someone, combat tagging them to prevent them from logging out and then finishing the opponent off. Something that has to be planned, carefully done and also requires at least some kind of skill of both players...

No one should be safe from being killed in the wilderness in any way, but the proclaimed solution only shows how bad you're looking for a way to get a kill and a reason why you would not have gotten the kill the other way...

Not trying to accuse/offend anyone, but not getting the kill, because you let your opponent know that you were there, does not justify introducing the rule "I see you, now you have to fight me!" and it would be in no way hardcore to encourage two players to merely attack eachother instead of encouraging thinking about what you are going to do in order to get the kill (including the entire process of sneaking up on someone, hindering them from logging out and then preventing them from killing you)...
No, just because someone gets out of combat tag doesn't mean they should be perfectly safe. It makes no sense and is stupid.

I don't even see why people are complaining about how this is a nerf on builders. Combat logging has always been illegal/discouraged ever since zeal through dragon guard. Since when in this new map did this rule reverse to it being encouraged?