• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Player Database

Watermelon_01

Legacy Supporter 2
I am leaving this thread open to anyone that can think of any suggestions for this issue as it has become prominent in many issues regarding townships, pvp, etc.
This is NOT intended to spur ideas of "Ohhh, make the server all pvp" and other statements that have already been made previously. I personally am getting tired of seeing thread after thread of them and I'd like to actually get some of the unique ideas to come out. :)

Watermelon_01

Legacy Supporter 2
Player population I guess is a better term. More so the better half that actually plays at least every other day and is relatively dedicated to playing on this server.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
Probably means something online, linked in game that shows various information such as:
- Class
- Level
- Armor
- PvP/PvE statistics
- Titles/Achievements*
- Dungeon information*
- Township
- Guild
- Money
- Purchased shops

*When we get real dungeons, if we get achievements.

Something like this was talked about forever ago by Kainzo, no idea where it stands.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Yes, I was thinking @Watermelon_01 meant player population, player community, perhaps player numbers, that sort of thing.

I'd like to see a more vibrant involved community, yes.

Perception is everything, so for the most part it's not just about players having fun, but about players BEING SEEN having fun, being challenged, getting involved, interacting with other players etc.

So I'm thinking about things like:
  • more players contributing to forums threads
  • a wider range of players chatting in the public ingame chats
  • a greater investment in recruiting players into towns
  • strategies for getting players trading goods and services with each other
  • a greater sense of pride about building.
Some ideas:

1. Townships (beyond a certain size) being required to have a town thread at forums (even if recruiting is closed), as per @Dwarfers thread

2. More excitement for "pve" players by doing away with the illusion/assumption of safety, and making it clear that their towns can be raided, can have war declared on them etc - hopefully this will get more players talking in the public chats, engaged with their towns - and balancing this by ensuring the war/siege system doesn't leave players at risk of having all their efforts obliterated if they don't pay attention for a couple of days - and indeed, perhaps even setting it up so that it's isn't always the biggest bully that wins every time...

3. Getting the region limitations in Townships 3.0 working properly, such that certain regions really are limited to certain professions and/or biomes, requiring towns to trade for goods or acquire the services of professionals to a greater extent than at present

4. Strengthening the professions, the challenge and uniqueness of professions and the potential for interacting with other players, via custom crafting perhaps @Jonsoon @devotedworker

5. Finding ways to get new players immediately engaged in connecting with the server - this was the greatest strength of the whitelisting system - not just the ban checking, but getting prospective players to actually cogitate and verbalize why they wanted to join the server - potentially via the Tutorial design as discussed in Eligof's thread. [Please may I be involved in the planning of this, @LightningCape @hilltim1 (That said, I'd love to see the /register command could do a quick check of ban history and send a "please apply personally for whitelisting" message when things turn up, lol.)

6. Absolutely anything that makes for less mindless griefing by 1-day players with no server loyalty - it's discouraging both for the players who get their builds/creations griefed and surely also for the mods and admins who have to deal with petition after petition. (I want to see our senior staff having more fun than that.)

7. Activities that encourage players to take pride in their builds - monthly build comps or similar, with categories for various size towns, various regions, terraforming etc - perhaps only one or two categories pre-announced for each comp date

8. Mob arenas - there seems to be a lot of player enthusiasm for these - and I'd be interested to see whether it's at all possible to repurpose a small number of existing Survival-server dungeons to give the mob arena feel.

Btw @Watermelon_01 if you think of a thread title that better reflects what you'd like to see discussed here, you can ask for an Admin (or Mod?) to change it.

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
5. Finding ways to get new players immediately engaged in connecting with the server - this was the greatest strength of the whitelisting system - not just the ban checking, but getting prospective players to actually cogitate and verbalize why they wanted to join the server - potentially via the Tutorial design as discussed in Eligof's thread. [Please may I be involved in the planning of this, @LightningCape @hilltim1 (That said, I'd love to see the /register command could do a quick check of ban history and send a "please apply personally for whitelisting" message when things turn up, lol.)
At the same time you have to acknowledge the flaws of the forum whitelising and registering process. It made some people just outright quit because they either didn't want to wait or just thought the process was unnecessary. Not to mention they had little reason to be on the server while waiting, since most of the ones who did in bastion got camped before they even got whitelisted and simply quit.

Changing up tutorial might be good but going back to the old system might be problematic.

Beau_Nearh

Portal
Probably means something online, linked in game that shows various information such as:
- Class
- Level
- Armor
- PvP/PvE statistics
- Titles/Achievements*
- Dungeon information*
- Township
- Guild
- Money
- Purchased shops

*When we get real dungeons, if we get achievements.

Something like this was talked about forever ago by Kainzo, no idea where it stands.

I really do like the thought of having something like this put in place. There would be so many advantages of having something like this put in for both the players and other players looking for new town members.