• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

New User Experience Feedback:

HeroGuy426

Glowstone
2. Money - earning money is a pain in the back. When you demand 500 souls for locking a chest and 1200 souls for plot, maybe mob drops should be worth more then 10 souls?
I'd suggest making a residence for locked chests. You can lock like 10 double chests easily and more for a low cost if you use a residence. You only can make one though, so pack your chests tight together. It's much cheaper. I'd only lock a chest if I was in the Nether leveling and getting relics.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Before releasing the help book, the contents should be put in a thread (this one should be fine) so that the community can make suggestions on anything you guys may not have thought of.

Love the fact you guys are already working on this too.
yep
"That would make money way to easy imo. In one mining trip you can make plenty of ore. Plus making it for crafters only, could be exploited by people just refusing to switch so they can sell the ores for money basically."

I was rather thinking just about level cap restriction - after certain level you could not sell to that shop.

Good idea for your help book would be a chapter with list of items that players often buy, ( i got a lot of relics and dont know what to do with them)and maybe a list of usual prices so new players could know if older players dont exploit there lack of knowladge
Coding isnt supported to have X level sell to Y shop... kind of confusing if you ask me.

devotedworker

Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter
We need to add these things to tutorial

- Reminder about whitelists /register ( email )
- Class Changes and Codex Information
- Town application
- Runes
- Codex Assembly
- Region Information
- LWC

Just making sure we dont leave anything out :3

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
Greetings!

[USERGROUP=39][USERGROUP=39][USERGROUP=39][USERGROUP=39][USERGROUP=39][USERGROUP=39]@Heralds[/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP] | [USERGROUP=35][USERGROUP=35][USERGROUP=35][USERGROUP=35][USERGROUP=35][USERGROUP=35]@Guides[/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP] | [USERGROUP=9][USERGROUP=9][USERGROUP=9][USERGROUP=9][USERGROUP=9][USERGROUP=9]@Admins[/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP] | [USERGROUP=12][USERGROUP=12][USERGROUP=12][USERGROUP=12][USERGROUP=12][USERGROUP=12]@Moderators[/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP]
Let's face it, Herocraft is not a server for everyone and its complex. We're looking to streamline things we can to make it easier on first time and new users joining into our new network.

We're looking at getting some feedback from newer players and first joining users to see how they feel the experience was and where it can be improved on.

Feel free to post your feelings and any suggestions on making the experience more memorable, informative or otherwise.

Thanks!

First of all I'd like to say that this is one of the few Minecraft servers I actually enjoy to play on. The system is complex indeed, but that's because it has a lot to offer. I've been around with you guys for a few weeks and have witnessed the multiverse and compared it with other Minecraft servers. My conclusion is that the most Minecraft servers only offer the same lame plugins or/and include nothing I could identify myself with when playing Minecraft.

But let's get to the point of this thread, however. I do actually have an idea to mention. It's not originally from me, so I'd like to mention the original creator: Mischevity, before claiming any "copyright" on this. But I'm sure he would've wanted this idea to spread. I for myself liked it, and I thought it could be helpful for any new player - a newbie - on this server.

Mischevity built a "Newbie Board" (actually quite recently from this post...) near the very first player settlements, at the east of PvE spawn. On that board is mentioned how a player can fight properly (ergo defend himself with skills) and claim property that he created. I immediately liked the idea for the fact, seeing people asking a lot of frequent questions, over and over again. Such a board can be a little step in self-teaching.
While reading the signs, the creative part of my brain activated and went nuts. I immediately had to add things to the board (I of course notified the good guy about that).
I additionally added a so called "Newbie Chest" next to the "Newbie Board", where random players can drop any junk they dont need, for other players (most of the time beginners), can take. I dropped used tools, wood, cobbles, food in there and checked back the next day. Some stuff was indeed taken out and the chest was still there.

This idea could be optimized, you know what I'm heading for? To avoid exploits, you could create some kind of code for new players, you could set up a "Beginner" code for every newly registered player. Once a class or profession is changed, that "Beginner" code is erased (since Lost_Soul & Crafter are the regular beginner types). Those that are coded as "Beginners" can open "Newbie Chests" and take the stuff out of that chest. To prevent emptying a chest, set up a daily limit. Other players though, that no longer are "Beginners" can ONLY drop items in there. The chest after all will be covered by a LWC-type protection with special drop & take rules that are defined by the player using the chest. If a user no longer is coded as Beginner, the rule says: no taking, only giving. If the player is coded as Beginner he is able to drop & take items out of that chest. According to the "Newbie Board" there should be also a protection system, preventing griefing the board.

I think it's something that does not require much work at all if properly planned, organized and implemented. That plus the Newbie Board, giving hints about: Important Commands & Functions, Chat Channels, Skills, Herosystem, Websites, would be a great addition to the game. It's actually something any player can set up (except for the server-side rules and codings).

Example? How many beginners know about the /kit starter command? NONE.
I did not when I started, and when I found out about it, I already had enough Iron to cover the ocean with (ok... not that much but you get the idea)

I hope this is a useful contribution to the community and the staff.
Yes, to the community as well, it was a player after all who built this wall out of nowhere, I was only the bearer of the message.

Peace out

Edit: I wanted to add, that I have no knowledge in coding, programming or whatsoever... unfortunately.

Last edited:

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
I like the idea, it would be great for veterans who want to help new players while avoiding random thieves.

The problem I see is that a chest-plugin is needed to create the "newbie chests" in the first place. LWC has some sort of flag command I think, but I'm not sure if LWC flags can be used on entire permission groups. If it doesn't, I don't really see how it's possible. I'm not a coder though, so don't take my word for it.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
We need to add these things to tutorial

- Reminder about whitelists /register ( email )
- Class Changes and Codex Information
- Town application
- Runes
- Codex Assembly
- Region Information
- LWC

Just making sure we dont leave anything out :3
Having just done a run through the tutorial, I'd add these things to your list:
  • Emphasize that forums registration MUST be under your IGN (and also edit the forums registration screen so that the first line says Player Name or similar, not just Name - this needs to be much more clear).
  • Changing classes, codexes etc
  • Crafting recipe restrictions for each of the Professions.
  • Do something about the Combat classes section - either readd the NPCs if this is possible, or provide substantive and distinctive info about the Combat paths / classes.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Example? How many beginners know about the /kit starter command? NONE.
This is on a floating notice I think just as you exit from the tutorial.

Loads of information is available to players, and for the most part it requires them to take the time to read it - signs in the ingame tutorial, the wiki, the getting started guide at the wiki. We have the new proposals for player books and this sign board. Yes, it could all do with updating and improvement, and it always will, because Herocraft strives for continual improvement and change is a regular feature.

But the question remains: what gets players to stop and take the time to read and understand the information that is there to help them?

The first step is always to put yourself in the position of your audience. What are the questions that new players will be asking, and in what order? Where will they be when they are asking these questions? What will their immediate information needs be? And then the task is to structure and deliver the information so that it provides a scaffold for their developing understanding. Concisely, and as accurately as possible.

But beware having information in too many unconnected places and formats. This creates more places that need to be updated each time improvements are made, and more places where information will potentially be out of date and thus misleading.

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
This is on a floating notice I think just as you exit from the tutorial.

Loads of information is available to players, and for the most part it requires them to take the time to read it - signs in the ingame tutorial, the wiki, the getting started guide at the wiki. We have the new proposals for player books and this sign board. Yes, it could all do with updating and improvement, and it always will, because Herocraft strives for continual improvement and change is a regular feature.

But the question remains: what gets players to stop and take the time to read and understand the information that is there to help them?

The first step is always to put yourself in the position of your audience. What are the questions that new players will be asking, and in what order? Where will they be when they are asking these questions? What will their immediate information needs be? And then the task is to structure and deliver the information so that it provides a scaffold for their developing understanding. Concisely, and as accurately as possible.

But beware having information in too many unconnected places and formats. This creates more places that need to be updated each time improvements are made, and more places where information will potentially be out of date and thus misleading.

Not going to deny the facts mentioned. How about something similar then? A mobile tutorial for instance?
There's that /book command, that drops the character info in the player's hands - discarded by pressing q.
Why not creating a tutorial book based on a command?
Books have enough pages to be filled with all kinds of information.
You could create a book similar to the hero book, that'd include basic information, you also get to see in the tutorial map.
Basically a mobile tutorial that allows to read everything mentioned in the tutorial again at any place in the game.
Summoned with a command (/tutorial maybe?), discarded with q. Can be stored like any book. And it does of course not require to be highly detailed at all.

Another thing in addition. I don't know if there is, but if not, how about creating a tool/site/thread, that allows to look up/see every single command available to players? In my opinion, that'd be damn useful. So far I've listed some special commands in a txt. file for my personal use. But there are still some useful out there that never get mentioned anywhere I think. If there's a source to all available codes existing, could you provide it in response?

Last edited:

Xerot

Legacy Supporter 4
I think making a clearer explanation of most of the basic skills of herocraft is one of the biggest things we need, like a video tutorial. Videos are quick and easy, and give new players a visual idea of what these things are actually supposed to look like. This way it at least answers a number of their questions, which usually boil down to using mark and recall, as well as warp. As well as things like equipment weight and requirements.

I think what I'm trying to say is that we need to streamline the information gradually instead of spitting it at newer players all at once. It's bloody overwhelming getting all this information at once, so maybe a series of mini-tutorials might not be so grating to newer players.

Beau_Nearh

Portal
The only problem that needs to be addressed is the location of the exchange. Sure it is a very nice spot (with the market just outside) but the actual location it is in (due to all the item frames near by) reduces my fps to unplayable (this is even after I change all my video settings to the lowest values). Because of this, finding the actual exchange building takes me a lot longer than it should.

Another point would be to have tutorials made via youtube. This may sound odd but when I first joined, the amount of commands were overwhelming so maybe a few tutorials showing the basic commands could be very beneficial to newer players. However, it is a steep learning curve people have to adapt too.

Clawscript

Obsidian
Well, make certain villages meant for new people in the upcoming RPG map? I mean, it's only hard to take in at the beginning, but when you get used to it it's great!
Basically, just find ways to make the class system easier to learn, like progressive tutorials.
However, the greatest help is support from other players!

For me, as I just recently started back up, I am not a total fan of how it costs 400s to choose a profession and class. Please lower that, as it took me 4 days to master crafter, but I only have 177s currently. Now I am just stuck with nothing trying to grind up enough ore to scrounge souls

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
For me, as I just recently started back up, I am not a total fan of how it costs 400s to choose a profession and class. Please lower that, as it took me 4 days to master crafter, but I only have 177s currently. Now I am just stuck with nothing trying to grind up enough ore to scrounge souls

You must not forget more advanced players that actually have the money to change classes like over 10 times. But I get the idea. Why not introducing a lower cost for the very first class or profession transfer? Maybe half the price? I think the price of 400s is absolutely fair and prevents people from switching over and over again in a short time period. This would take an important part of the actual challenge that comes with the hero system, don't forget that. But I agree, that cheaper costs for first class/profession transfers would be welcoming.

By the way, I heard something about "Test" like in "Test Server". I'd really like to see this kind of world, since it could allow us to test classes and professions before deciding. You could set it up as in pve and pvp zones, with infinite materials for the professions and pve/pvp fighting areas for the classes. After all, just to test.

RagingDragon5

Portal
You must not forget more advanced players that actually have the money to change classes like over 10 times. But I get the idea. Why not introducing a lower cost for the very first class or profession transfer? Maybe half the price? I think the price of 400s is absolutely fair and prevents people from switching over and over again in a short time period. This would take an important part of the actual challenge that comes with the hero system, don't forget that. But I agree, that cheaper costs for first class/profession transfers would be welcoming.

By the way, I heard something about "Test" like in "Test Server". I'd really like to see this kind of world, since it could allow us to test classes and professions before deciding. You could set it up as in pve and pvp zones, with infinite materials for the professions and pve/pvp fighting areas for the classes. After all, just to test.

We did have a Test Server. Not entirely sure why it was removed, but I think the reason was because a lot people would go on there to pvp since it didn't have any drawbacks.

The_Irony

Dirt
Yo i just joined and i registered and white listed and i still cannot chat or break blocks or join anything or whatever.
im so stuck and i cannot pick up items from mob drops. is that a bug or something please help a new player out

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
Yo i just joined and i registered and white listed and i still cannot chat or break blocks or join anything or whatever.
im so stuck and i cannot pick up items from mob drops. is that a bug or something please help a new player out
Are you sure you actually registered? Use /register (email) with the email you made this forum account with. Also make sure your ign and forum account name are the same. If you have any more questions you can pm me or an admin.

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
It's been finished. New players get it when they join for the first time.

I know that. I was asking about a command to summon the book in case they lose it. Like the hero /book.
If there is one, what is the commands name?