• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

New User Experience Feedback:

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
I would if I knew coding. You can give it a go.

Yes, I'm just mentioning it in case another staff member stops by.
You did good on the book, I had the chance to read it.
Also it appears that people really use it (else they wouldn't ask about that command).

Last edited:

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
Hardest parts of starting out: the mobs, people stealing from you, people killing you over and over.

Ways to fix that: Join a town.

Seriously I feel that there should be incentives for towns to recruit and teach new players the ropes. How could this be achieved? I haven't the faintest.

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
Hardest parts of starting out: the mobs, people stealing from you, people killing you over and over.

Ways to fix that: Join a town.

Seriously I feel that there should be incentives for towns to recruit and teach new players the ropes. How could this be achieved? I haven't the faintest.

As mmorpg player I know of a similar system from other games. Mentoring systems. A player mentors a newbie. Both get rewarded by doing that (rewards that are for both of use of course). Maybe this idea could be copied. But you are right, the most people don't care to help unless there's something in exchange.

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
I always message noobs that get camped, there's a PVE server too.

Most won't give me their coordinates so I can't kill the campers.

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
Could you link the book to a dispenser at spawn with an infinite amount? That way people just come up and click it for a new one.

Edit: Then have those dispensers all over spawn.

Edit 2: Call them Herokiosks

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
Could you link the book to a dispenser at spawn with an infinite amount? That way people just come up and click it for a new one.

Edit: Then have those dispensers all over spawn.

It's a good idea, but I think with the lack of orientation, nobody of the new players would get the idea.

Some can't even find the ships. Sounds sad, but that's the way it is.

Indeed, actually those that can't even find the ships, nor pass the tutorial, are in my opinion not qualified to play on this server anyway, but at this rate we have to ensure that any new player gets access into the game and understands the regular procedures. At the other hand there are players impossible be taught a thing.

Last edited:

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
We do need to hear from new users themselves, and we're not getting that.

We need to survey them!

I wonder whether any staff - particularly @Guides or @Proctors or even @Heralds - would be willing to stand outside the portal in from Lost Cove and ask new players when they arrive things like:
  • Hello and welcome (which is going to skew results right there because getting a personal welcome will greatly increase their inclination to stay :D)
  • What was your impression of the tutorial?
  • Would you be willing to answer my convo on forums about your impressions in a day or two?

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter

We need to survey them!

I wonder whether any staff - particularly [USERGROUP=35]@Guides[/USERGROUP] or [USERGROUP=17]@Proctors[/USERGROUP] or even [USERGROUP=39]@Heralds[/USERGROUP] - would be willing to stand outside the portal in from Lost Cove and ask new players when they arrive things like:
  • Hello and welcome (which is going to skew results right there because getting a personal welcome will greatly increase their inclination to stay :D)
  • Would you be willing to answer my convo on forums about your impressions in a day or two?

Hm, that could be interesting. You should create a forum thread about the survey too, maybe including a poll additionally for those that use the forums.

I can only recall what I've witnessed in chat so far, hence my prior post.

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
An option would be to offer incentive for giving an in depth interview with a guide, for example souls, a free codex, or what have you. Im sure they would be more than happy to supply some feedback if there was a reward attached. As for asking questions of the brand new people, they wouldn't have had any experience yet with the server and could only tell us how our tutorial was; which we already know needs addressed. I do believe that the book dispensers would work if you place them strategically near areas of high traffic such as by the boats. We may have to guide some people to the book dispensers, and that's ok.

edit: Also we were all brand spanking new at one time or another so it doesn't hurt to recount our experiences as fresh meat.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8

We need to survey them!

I wonder whether any staff - particularly [USERGROUP=35]@Guides[/USERGROUP] or [USERGROUP=17]@Proctors[/USERGROUP] or even [USERGROUP=39]@Heralds[/USERGROUP] - would be willing to stand outside the portal in from Lost Cove and ask new players when they arrive things like:

While cool in theory, who wants to stand outside a portal for hours? As much as I think the @Guides are a great group to do this (They essentially do nothing ATM) would anyone really stand there and do nothing? I know I would try but I don't have enough time to dedicate between standing there to greet new players and still play on the server. If there was a chat for the Tutorial that only Guides, people in the Tutorial or whoever else should be in charge of getting the feedback could join and talk, it would make it easier. It'd be similar to Tour chat, except ONLY tutorial people/Guides/whoever else could be in it and talk. Then a whoever is in charge of it could be anywhere on any map doing whatever and still help the new people.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
While cool in theory, who wants to stand outside a portal for hours? As much as I think the [USERGROUP=35][USERGROUP=35]@Guides[/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP] are a great group to do this (They essentially do nothing ATM) would anyone really stand there and do nothing? I know I would try but I don't have enough time to dedicate between standing there to greet new players and still play on the server.

I hear that this doesn't appeal to you! Of course, it would only be for people who are interested in meeting new players and finding out where they're at. There would be no point in putting an obligation on a group of players to do this. That would be unhelpful.

So I've had a chat with a couple of people and, besides having the pleasure of meeting new people, I've learned new things.

@whiteninja1970 is also giving it a shot - thanks white.

... Guides ... (They essentially do nothing ATM) ...

I'm puzzled by your saying this. Some Guides are indeed currently active. I see you still wear the tag.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
I wouldn't say guides do nothing, but I have noticed tour chat becoming less active @WitchOnaRampage
What I mean by that is less new people ask questions or talk there, since they can just move into o chat with a short whitelisting time. What I suggest (and what I've been trying to do) @minimike96 is focusing on help chat since that's where they direct their questions now, and also trying to reinforce some chat rules

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
I wouldn't say guides do nothing, but I have noticed tour chat becoming less active @WitchOnaRampage
What I mean by that is less new people ask questions or talk there, since they can just move into o chat with a short whitelisting time. What I suggest (and what I've been trying to do) @minimike96 is focusing on help chat since that's where they direct their questions now, and also trying to reinforce some chat rules
Yes, and I agree with you too @minimike96 it is currently very messy with new players asking for help and about recruitment in o chat. They don't get appropriate attention, and can't be feeling confident about being heard amidst a lot of the clutter and mess that often characterizes O chat.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8

I still wear the Tag cause Tim said I was allowed to hold on to my title, despite my lack of activity. I have been trying to make time to get back on the server as much as I can, as I do like Guiding when I can.

What I mean by Guides do nothing ATM, is that Tour is dead 90% of the time (At least from what I've seen) and most times I get beat to the punch in H or O cause I'm busy fighting off a 1k HP zombie. My point is that new players either aren't asking for help, or they ask for help and it gets lost in the abyss of O chat.

And @Irishman81 I do focus on H chat. Anytime I see something I attempt to answer it, sometimes I cant, and sometime another player beats me to it.

*Edit: And @WitchOnaRampage Your initial idea was actually a good one, I just think that if there was a waty for people to still go play HC and talk to the new players without standing in central waiting, more people would like to do so. I'd love to talk to them, I just don't want to stand outside a portal waiting for maybe 2 or 3 people to come through (I have no idea how many players would actually go through, if it's a lot then most of my argument is invalid)