• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Dev Notes - 4.91+

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
Explain to me how you can be good enough to avoid detection of the ability to see if anyone is within 100 blocks of your targets location just by spamming in chat.

Without the ability to spam in chat to detect players you would not have noticed the incoming player and would have been caught instead of logging out/recalling because you detected someone near by.
Let's say I'm in chat and I used /shout and I saw that someone was close by. I'm in a house or in the wilderness. There're trees, hills, plenty of blocks for someone to hide behind. If I was aiming for somebody, I wouldn't come at them from the front; sneaking or not you're still visible. I'd come at them from the back, using the trees or the hills to stay invisible while tracking their name tag.

Now since I shouted, they know I'm there, so they'll scan around them. But because I'm hidden behind a tree, or behind a hill, and I'm sneaking, my name tag is invisible so they don't know WHERE I am. I know where they are, they don't know where I am, both of us know someone's there.

The typical player who wants to escape PvP (Me, normally, assuming I don't log out) will aim towards their closest safe waypoint or graveyard or spawn or town and sprint for it. They won't have time to continue scanning after that first scan because it'll slow them down. As a ganker, I can then use any mobility skill I want to close the gap and kill them.

Or if they were in a mine, I could hide behind the entrance and kill them on the way out (I got killed once this way by someone who was hiding next to the stairs. I KNEW he was there since /shout picked it up. I didn't know WHERE he was).

Of course, this all assumes that the person who heard someone nearby decides to run for it rather than log out/recalling/warping. If the player was hiding in a place and waiting for you to pass by before hopping out and attacking you, NOTHING can save you or enable you to escape whether or not you detected someone nearby.

Chat detection really only helps those who log out/recall at the first sign of danger (Admittedly me). If that's what you want to stop, congratulations. You succeeded.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Exactly you're gaining the knowledge that there is someone there which in itself makes you more alert and will actively look out and be more warey and ready yourself for a fight or run away. The element of surprise is then lost because you were able to just type something in chat which is a ridiculous notion.

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
Exactly you're gaining the knowledge that there is someone there which in itself makes you more alert and will actively look out and be more warey and ready yourself for a fight or run away. The element of surprise is then lost because you were able to just type something in chat which is a ridiculous notion.
Possibly, but all this does currently is make us be in that state constantly. Since the chat doesn't work, we just have to be more alert, actively look out, be more wary, and ready ourselves for a fight or run away all the time, rather than when the chat says someone is there.

The element of surprise is still there if you know how to work it. In a way removing this mechanic encourages lazy sneaking, when before you had to actually work to ambush someone.

Again, I understand the point of removing the mechanic. It just makes things harder for non-PvPers is all.

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
That just sucks balls for casters.
Not really. If you have a skill like Fireball, you can stay far away enough for Skeletons to be unable to even see you, and even if you are in their range, they are less accurate as you are further away.

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
Level restrictions for PVP will be removed.
I think I missed this the first time through. I really really hope the karma systems pulls through, otherwise you've just emboldened the (soon-to-be) lv65 players from sacking lv1 guys fresh out of the tutorial. It's bad enough as it is, where they can be killed by flint and steel, lava or even just having the ground dug out beneath them, and even once lv10, they still have no chance in hell to survive an attack.

There's so much riding on the successful implementation of the karma system.
gabizou We're all on the edge of our seats! xD

Arturec

Soulsand
I think it's test.hc.to or it's hc.test.to. One of these 2 IPs SHOULD (Don't quote me on it, hearsay op) give you access to the test server where you can test out all the latest changes. (That Kainzo wants tested ofc. ;=; )