• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Actual constructive ideas on increasing PvP without decreasing server population

Animeman1996

Soulsand
Again ideas that force PvP on players who are obviously trying to avoid it will only drive players away. The carrot works better than the stick. Let's talk about ideas that create an incentive to engage in PvP.

Try to remember what is fun for you might not be for the next person. Just because you like to PvP for the sake of PvP doesn't mean the next guy does. If you force it on them they will just leave. If you coax them into it they might find that they enjoy it more than they expected.

Forcing PvP on players who do not want to engage in it will NOT increase PvP, at least not long term. Sure you might have a quick bit of fun abusing the unsuspecting PvE crowd for the first week or so, but once they leave they will not be back and you will be in the same boat you are in now.

Didn't seem to have an issue forcing PVE onto the players who pvp.. I dont care what angle you throw.. Pve'ers dont have to deal with anything. they just go about their business.

unfortunately the reality is that the pvp side of the map is dead/dying and we as player DO have to deal with that.

Animeman1996

Soulsand
I do appreciate the different methods and strategies the staff and kainzo have taken to integrate pve.. first you tried making them different servers, when that didnt work you tried aegis.. and well.. nuff said.. and now you are trying a 1 world pve/pvp map.. and I see how conceptually this could work.. but it just doesnt.. Pve does not belong in a pvp world just as pvp doesn't belong in a pve world.. people dont need things so damn complicated.. just.. make a map, give people some damn skills and let us do the rest..

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I do appreciate the different methods and strategies the staff and kainzo have taken to integrate pve.. first you tried making them different servers, when that didnt work you tried aegis.. and well.. nuff said.. and now you are trying a 1 world pve/pvp map.. and I see how conceptually this could work.. but it just doesnt.. Pve does not belong in a pvp world just as pvp doesn't belong in a pve world.. people dont need things so damn complicated.. just.. make a map, give people some damn skills and let us do the rest..
The biggest problem has always been making sure new players can enjoy their time. Going headfirst into PvP usually led to lots of dying over and over and over. Making new players not want to stay. Take it from someone who's been working with new players for almost a year as staff, and since Dragongarde as a player.

I'm not saying every PvPer hunt noobs, not at all. But the noobs need to have a good time leveling and playing in their first days.

The main difference I see between forcing PvE on people and forcing PvP is that when PvE was added, no one was forced to go play there. They didn't have to change their playstyle at all. Forcing PvP makes other change the way they play. Yes some will stay and some will leave it's how players work, but the whole "Old players will return" comment needs to go away. That was used way too often as a reason to remove PvE, if those players want to come back, have them return and make suggestions themselves. Just saying "remove PvE all the old players will return" is a dead argument.

As to the end of your statement, I kinda agree there. I think letting the players handle it would probably yield the most accepted result. Maybe not the best for Kainzo, but the most accepted by everyone.

Watermelon_01

Legacy Supporter 2
From a player's perspective, nobody wants to change their playing style at all, especially with a survival, towny server. People will adapt to plugins but not to things like their whole playing style. If they are a strong PvE player, they will simply not play on the server. The only way that I see the idea of people adapting is if there is a true PvPer hidden deep down in their latent beings. That being said, a greater either motivation or even forced placement into PvP at some point would benefit the server.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Easy fix to people camping low lvls, put the no combat until a certain lvl back in at lvl 10. Also make it so if 2 people are fighting, let's say a lvl 34 and a lvl 60 the lvl 34 can attack the 60 first, but until then the 60 can't attack the 34 because they are more than 25 lvls below them. This lvl restriction should only apply to combat classes so if you are a 1 wiz and a 60 smith you can't PVP

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Easy fix to people camping low lvls, put the no combat until a certain lvl back in at lvl 10. Also make it so if 2 people are fighting, let's say a lvl 34 and a lvl 60 the lvl 34 can attack the 60 first, but until then the 60 can't attack the 34 because they are more than 25 lvls below them. This lvl restriction should only apply to combat classes so if you are a 1 wiz and a 60 smith you can't PVP
This can be and was abused. People would block skills or raid towns without being able to be killed.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
This can be and was abused. People would block skills or raid towns without being able to be killed.
Well, it's a fix to noob killing which even though is not nearly as large of a problem as people say it is that is one of the man complaints of total PVP

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Well, it's a fix to noob killing which even though is not nearly as large of a problem as people say it is that is one of the man complaints of total PVP
It's a broken fix......
People say raiding is worthless now. How worthless would it be if you went to riad and 10 lvl 9's just stood in your way while you were pelted with arrows and fireballs?

Let's not make HC a tower of duct tape.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
It's a broken fix......
People say raiding is worthless now. How worthless would it be if you went to riad and 10 lvl 9's just stood in your way while you were pelted with arrows and fireballs?

Let's not make HC a tower of duct tape.
It's worthless if you can't get to them, and if you could they wouldn't be alive to pelt you with arrows and fireballs

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
It's worthless if you can't get to them, and if you could they wouldn't be alive to pelt you with arrows and fireballs
Again. It was abused before and no doubt would be again. 100% immunity when raiding? Wouldn't people go crazy? "Oh, I can just jump in your town and run around and you can't kill me"

*Remember, the No-PvP er's could still run around with Pots (Damage, Poison, not amazing but an annoyance) or Lava or Flint & Steel or blocks to bar your way. No-PvP until lvl 10 is honestly not the way.

werwew19

Coder
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 6
Remove pve and disable pvp until level 10. It worked like a charm in Bastion and it would work well again this map.

The pvp disabled players were honestly not a problem when you were raiding.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Again. It was abused before and no doubt would be again. 100% immunity when raiding? Wouldn't people go crazy? "Oh, I can just jump in your town and run around and you can't kill me"

*Remember, the No-PvP er's could still run around with Pots (Damage, Poison, not amazing but an annoyance) or Lava or Flint & Steel or blocks to bar your way. No-PvP until lvl 10 is honestly not the way.
Make lava and fire PVP illegal besides traps then, it really isn't that hard.

I agree with @werwew19 disable PVP until lvl 10 combat, you can lvl your prof freely but you should be able to defend yourself if you lvl your combat class and there isn't a point in lvling it unless you plan on fighting

werwew19

Coder
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 6

It was NEVER abused on a high scale in my experience and every single person that ran into mineris with pvp off got trapped and they suffered. It is so damn easy to trap and kill a noob in your town if they are causing an annoyance and if other players want to hero reset to get their immunity back I have no problem brewing fire pots for teamfights.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Didn't seem to have an issue forcing PVE onto the players who pvp.. I dont care what angle you throw.. Pve'ers dont have to deal with anything. they just go about their business.

unfortunately the reality is that the pvp side of the map is dead/dying and we as player DO have to deal with that.
Are you here to offer complaints or solutions?

Dwarfers

Legacy Supporter 6
Honestly, I believe that there aren't enough players that want to take a leadership position when it comes to groups of players whether pvp or not. All I ever see is groups splitting up and joining the other existing groups. I think these experienced players that split off and join another group should make their own group instead but attempt to recruit new players and train them rather than keeping this stupid cycle we have of the same players bouncing between groups.

This is a main reason that PvP is dying from what I see. Not enough new players being recruited into PvP. People think they will just show up whenever.

Last edited:

Xelarator1

Obsidian
Honestly, I believe that there aren't enough players that want to take a leadership position when it comes to groups of players whether pvp or not. All I ever see is groups splitting up and joining the other existing groups. I think these experienced players that split off and join another group should make their own group instead but attempt to recruit new players and train them rather than keeping this stupid cycle we have of the same players bouncing between groups.

This is a main reason that PvP is dying from what I see. Not enough new players being recruited into PvP. People think they will just show up whenever.

I apologize if this response is a bit dim witted, but what would it take to become a leader? Perhaps some players don't take the leadership position simply because they don't know how to.

Dwarfers

Legacy Supporter 6
I apologize if this response is a bit dim witted, but what would it take to become a leader? Perhaps some players don't take the leadership position simply because they don't know how to.
To be the "leader of a group" is normally by being the one who is mayor of a town or the one who starts a clan or even builds the town/comes up with the idea to start a group. The herocraft wiki has steps on how to make stuff and what is needed so that part isn't even hard. The hard part of being the leader is being able to deal with noobs and their expected noob questions, be mature, and for the most part don't be lazy and not get anything done. I'm not really sure how else to describe it.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8

I think the other problem is that no one wants to train noobs. Explaining the most basic mechanics 12 times to a new player can get....... annoying to say the least. Especially when they start raging about stuff.

I'm sure people would recruit if new players didn't need every little thing explained to them.

I can say for a fact that treasure in the south is helping. It's almost impossible for me to not press /hunt and swim over. I've only seen about 3 or 4 other people there though. Two at a time at the most. It's probably partially because some of the chests were underground and also underwater. The chests underground below the ocean don't really usually have people there. But it did get me to go to the south before I was leveled. I'm still not fully leveled. Anyway, <-- Proof that treasure chests help at least a bit.
This is very true. I am a hard core pve but was in pvp for the chests, i think they are a very good idea but need some fixes.

1) You need to say they are only in pvp (it may have been said but i did not see)
2) you loot is sh*t the one chest i got was a unbreaking iron pick and some string, leather and planks i think but being a famer/ ranger the main thing in there, the pick, was almost usless. I was thinking class based stuff so a ranger might get a good bow or an axe maybe leather or gold armour.
3) above ground with seas just off line (no chest will spawn there). if you do want someone not to be able just to pick it up maybe have them floating in the sky. building is esayer then mining.

Just my 2 souls

Last edited:

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
This is very true. I am a hard core pve but was in pvp for the chests, i think they are a very good idea but need some fixes.

1) You need to say they are only in pvp (it may have been said but i did not see)
2) you loot is sh*t the one chest i got was a unbreaking iron pick and some string, leather and planks i think but being a famer/ ranger the main thing in there, the pick, was almost usless. I was thinking class based stuff so a ranger might get a good bow or an axe maybe leather or gold armour.
3) above ground with seas just off line (no chest will spawn there). if you do want someone not to be able just to pick it up maybe have them floating in the sky. building is esayer then mining.

Just my 2 souls
It's common knowledge they're only in PvP at this point. Also just ask and anyone will say so.

You probably got a common chest.
Also: leather is a good thing. So is string. Leather cause selling/armor. And string for reagents. And how is a pick useless? Having a pick on you is always good. Again, you probably got a common chest.

Lastly: digging down is not hard at all. Just use that unbreaking pick you got.