• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Actual constructive ideas on increasing PvP without decreasing server population

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
I have been hoping to see some of the PvP crew throw out some constructive ideas on how to increase PvP rather than continually rehashing the same tired "get rid of PvE" argument that simply isn't helpful. It is now fairly obvious that it is unlikely to happen so here goes.

To preface my list of suggestions it should be noted that the history of mankind hath shewn that whilst the enslaved man will fear the rod he will always seek to escape it. Those men who are not already enslaved shall not bear the rod at all. The metaphorical "carrot" on the other hand has been proven to be motivational for every creature on earth, including the man animal.

That said rather than focusing on a punitive "no place is safe on HeroCraft" mentality that will ultimately lead to a massive loss of players(as evidenced by past Exodus's) perhaps it would be better to focus on a system that provides incentives for those players who might normally spend the entirety of their play time on PvE to venture onto the PvP continent.

Suggestions:

1. Create a percentage chance of custom rare gear drop on PvP death and mob death on PvP continent with 0% chance of the same gear dropping in PvE
2. Return mob health scaling having mob health increase as you get further into PvE and decrease as you get further into PvP. Make no changes to the exp scaling. Hence the deeper into PvP you travel the easier it is to level but the higher the risk. The deeper into PvE you travel the more brutal the mobs become.
3. Increased ore and soul drops from mining on PvP continent.
4. Increased soul drops for mobs on PvP continent
5. Increased town and residence cost on PvE vs PvP (needs to be a mild increase say 5-10% but come with increased security against raiding)
6. Conquest points placed on PvP continent only
7. Nether access at far reaches of PvP continent

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
1: Eh, not on PvP death just because it would encourage camping of the noobs. Otherwise yes!
2: We already grind off dungeons so why not? Would mean leveling in PvE would be harder but safer (Mobs are easy to run from, players not so much)
3: I don't personally like the idea of adding Soul benefits to PvP (Economic sure, medals or symbols sure, but not Soul)
4: This would be ok since you have to deal with plays and mobs already have a seeming low drop rate of even their own drops
5: Yep.
6: Yep.
7: Can the nether just be released already? We can go for this if we have to, but it would only hurt the already non-existent Necro population.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
@Kainzo said last time that he didn't want to punish people for playing on PVE, which is the reason souls rates and do are the same in both PVE and PVP.

RShooter2000

ICE ICE ICE!
perhaps it would be better to focus on a system that provides incentives for those players who might normally spend the entirety of their play time on PvE to venture onto the PvP continent.

^^^ If only... ^^^

The biggest thing about PvE that kills PvP is the fact that players who only PvE don't have a reason to group up to fight or protect themselves, there is no need to do that. Even wartime does not fix that due to the fact that they can just sit in their town and build and continue with their day. In Haven there wasn't a "viable" PvE server so even the PvE'ers had their fair share of fights and PvP. People grouped together and fought off other towns, some even decided to raid every once in a while. A big reason why you only have a select few PvP groups is because new players go straight to PvE, they may master their classes, but end up just quitting or going inactive due to loss of Interest or boredom. Most never actually join up with a PvP group or PvP at all for that matter. Therefore very few new PvP groups have been formed.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
If conquest points are added in again there needs to be a minimum amount of people online at the time so that they don't just get farmed like last map until medals were worthless

werwew19

Coder
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 6
If conquest points are added in again there needs to be a minimum amount of people online at the time so that they don't just get farmed like last map until medals were worthless
Even with 130 players on the server such a small minority right now is pvp'ing it will be farmed no-matter the player count.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
^^^ If only... ^^^

The biggest thing about PvE that kills PvP is the fact that players who only PvE don't have a reason to group up to fight or protect themselves, there is no need to do that. Even wartime does not fix that due to the fact that they can just sit in their town and build and continue with their day. In Haven there wasn't a "viable" PvE server so even the PvE'ers had their fair share of fights and PvP. People grouped together and fought off other towns, some even decided to raid every once in a while. A big reason why you only have a select few PvP groups is because new players go straight to PvE, they may master their classes, but end up just quitting or going inactive due to loss of Interest or boredom. Most never actually join up with a PvP group or PvP at all for that matter. Therefore very few new PvP groups have been formed.
This is a suggestion thread about how to intice PvE inclined players to venture out and PvP, as forcing PvP will cause them to leave resulting in the same situation you are speaking of.

If you don't have a suggestion other than "der PvE is bad" then please get out of my thread. [USERGROUP=9]@Admins[/USERGROUP] @Moderators please remove @RShooter2000 's pointless post from this thread

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
@Trazil @werwew19 rewards on conquest points can be tweaked or even changed to prevent damage to the economy. However if camping of conquest points did happen wouldn't that increase PvP wuch is what you are looking for?

Beau_Nearh

Portal
I suppose if this thread is going to get more views than mine it's worth a try as I know for a fact a change like this would encourage me a lot more to PVP;

Suggestion;

+Have it so each AOE buff scales with the amount of people it's affecting within a party
+increased cost cast per person it affects (10-15 mana/ stamina extra per person) (option 1)

OR

+Decrease effectiveness of buff by 5-10% per person (option 2)

Thoughts;

This change would help prevent teams of 5+ stacking buffs such as heals enabling them to be next to undefeatable as well as help reduce the buff spamming making teams actually concuious of which buff to use and when.

Notes;

This change would effect any AOE skill that;
-Heals
-Buffs defensive stats
-Buffs offensive stats
+change is aimed at affecting large parties while not affecting smaller ones as much balancing overall strength of each party

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
I suppose if this thread is going to get more views than mine it's worth a try as I know for a fact a change like this would encourage me a lot more to PVP;

Suggestion;

+Have it so each AOE buff scales with the amount of people it's affecting within a party
+increased cost cast per person it affects (10-15 mana/ stamina extra per person) (option 1)

OR

Thoughts;

This change would help prevent teams of 5+ stacking buffs such as heals enabling them to be next to undefeatable as well as help reduce the buff spamming making teams actually concuious of which buff to use and when.

Notes;

-Heals
-Buffs defensive stats
-Buffs offensive stats
+change is aimed at affecting large parties while not affecting smaller ones as much balancing overall strength of each party
What exactly does this have to do with the topic?

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3

Suggestion;

OR

Thoughts;

Notes;

-Heals
-Buffs defensive stats
-Buffs offensive stats
you cant stack buffs only one of each.

Beau_Nearh

Portal
What exactly does this have to do with the topic?

One of the main reasons to why people don't head over to PVP is because they stand very little chance at winning when facing big groups with stacked healers and support classes. This is one of the main reasons I personally don't head over to PVP much as I know when Faced against a group like this, I will die regardless of what I do.

So because of this, I would like the whole balance of such big groups changed so that it's not down to who has the most players in a party and rather who has the most skilled players.

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
Scaling mob health, where pvp mobs have less and pve more, was the best idea i have heard. That way everyone knows that pvp mobs will be easier to level off of as well as be easier to gain drops from. The pros and cons of each even it out. Pve mobs/no risk less rewarding (time wise) and pvp mobs/ high risk more rewarding.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
@Trazil @werwew19 rewards on conquest points can be tweaked or even changed to prevent damage to the economy. However if camping of conquest points did happen wouldn't that increase PvP wuch is what you are looking for?
Nobody goes to the points lol so no that doesn't lead to more PVP because the rewards are worth nothing

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
@Admins @Moderators I had hoped to have a constructive, productive, rational discussion. Apparently that is no longer a possibility on these forums. Please lock this thread.

Watermelon_01

Legacy Supporter 2
I think that everything looks good, except for the townships part. They are already kinda expensive so instead of increasing the cost on PvE, why not reduce the cost on PvP?

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Nobody goes to the points lol so no that doesn't lead to more PVP because the rewards are worth nothing
But if the rewards were actually worth something (A special rare medal that can only bet obtained via a contested conquest point, say 2 - 3 different groups need to fight over it for a chance of it to drop, special Conquest only tools/weps, some other incentive) would they work?
I feel conquests could've been a very good PvP incentive if the rewards were done correctly.

Ice_Burner

Legacy Supporter 1
But if the rewards were actually worth something (A special rare medal that can only bet obtained via a contested conquest point, say 2 - 3 different groups need to fight over it for a chance of it to drop, special Conquest only tools/weps, some other incentive) would they work?
I feel conquests could've been a very good PvP incentive if the rewards were done correctly.
I made some kind of suggestion like that later on my War Thread. Make the area in question, Conquest point or War point, give chance to drop valuable items while killing players there. Give them more incentive to go there instead of "Moar vengeance medalz"

I do agree with all these points. +1 for creativity :)