• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Actual constructive ideas on increasing PvP without decreasing server population

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
But if the rewards were actually worth something (A special rare medal that can only bet obtained via a contested conquest point, say 2 - 3 different groups need to fight over it for a chance of it to drop, special Conquest only tools/weps, some other incentive) would they work?
I feel conquests could've been a very good PvP incentive if the rewards were done correctly.
You don't understand, the rewards are worth nothing and never will be worth anything because they will be farmed to no end when there is nobody on to oppose you from getting them.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
You don't understand, the rewards are worth nothing and never will be worth anything because they will be farmed to no end when there is nobody on to oppose you from getting them.
The point is to find something people are willing to fight on these points for. Things that only drop when multiple groups fight are the main ones

jan9f

Legacy Supporter 3
Rather than make spread out areas to get these items/drops, make them in one, maybe two areas, and then it'll be a constant fight so that people can't just sit and farm.

Theshadown

Stone
Of course it is easier said than done but team competitions (like team arenas but not last man standing) would be nice.
Things like "capture the flag", "destroy enemy monument", "vip transportation".
Some of them should not be thaaaaat difficult to implement with command blocks and a referee online. A 100% automation would be quite troublesome I think.

JacobBurkey

Portal
[USERGROUP=9]@Admins[/USERGROUP] [USERGROUP=12]@Moderators[/USERGROUP] I had hoped to have a constructive, productive, rational discussion. Apparently that is no longer a possibility on these forums. Please lock this thread.
So because you don't agree with any of the suggestions you want the thread locked? How about answering peoples suggestions instead of whining because you don't agree. I agreed with most of the stuff you suggested, but not going to bother suggesting anything because you're just going to cry because it has nothing to do with your "views."

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
So because you don't agree with any of the suggestions you want the thread locked? How about answering peoples suggestions instead of whining because you don't agree. I agreed with most of the stuff you suggested, but not going to bother suggesting anything because you're just going to cry because it has nothing to do with your "views."
Or perhaps the posts I was referring were deleted and offered no suggestions. Maybe you should have the full set of information before you talk out of your ass
Cleaned up the thread some
Kain opted to delete the trollish posts rather than lock the thread. So as long as your suggestion is something other than " der PvE sucks get rid of PvE or get wrekt" then I would love to hear it. I am not interested in adding this thread to the list of mindless PvE bashing threads though so if that is what you had in mind I am glad you kept it to yourself

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
The treasure hunts only being in the south have really helped, but I'm still seeing the problem of people not venturing to the south.

My possible solutions:
If we can't make the entire continent go to war, then add conquest points to those regions (with PVP enabled) which will hopefully attract some people.

Somehow make arenas available to everyone on the survival server

Reduce exp gained from PVE dungeons to 75% that of Pvp (if possible) leveling without any threat gives to much of an advantage.

Theshadown

Stone
Suggestions that penalize pve wont promote pvp. If there is not much pvp is because the community of the server doesn't like it. If u penalize what they seem to like (pve) then the people will just leave.
You have to make pvp fun first of all, then, a little rewarding. That's the way of constructing a sane and long term pvp community.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Suggestions that penalize pve wont promote pvp. If there is not much pvp is because the community of the server doesn't like it. If u penalize what they seem to like (pve) then the people will just leave.
You have to make pvp fun first of all, then, a little rewarding. That's the way of constructing a sane and long term pvp community.
Penalties to PVE really isn't bad because there is absolutely NO risk in anything, so it should take a little longer.

Dewyn

Retired Staff
I like these suggestions. Providing incentives for PvP instead of penalizing PvE would leave the PvE population intact while possibly drawing some over to PvP, instead of doing "make war turn all of PvE to PvP" or something.

Okay, I want to go after Lenoria as much as anyone, but that would drive away a lot of people, judging from the panicked "whats war???" and "will i be killed????" comments in chat that happened until the titles announcing it were removed.

+1

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
I like these suggestions. Providing incentives for PvP instead of penalizing PvE would leave the PvE population intact while possibly drawing some over to PvP, instead of doing "make war turn all of PvE to PvP" or something.

Okay, I want to go after Lenoria as much as anyone, but that would drive away a lot of people, judging from the panicked "whats war???" and "will i be killed????" comments in chat that happened until the titles announcing it were removed.

+1
The titles were removed? That was actually my favorite part of it because the wars themselves were wastes.

HeroGuy426

Glowstone
I can say for a fact that treasure in the south is helping. It's almost impossible for me to not press /hunt and swim over. I've only seen about 3 or 4 other people there though. Two at a time at the most. It's probably partially because some of the chests were underground and also underwater. The chests underground below the ocean don't really usually have people there. But it did get me to go to the south before I was leveled. I'm still not fully leveled. Anyway, <-- Proof that treasure chests help at least a bit.

johnnjlee

TNT
I personally enjoy not getting killed by super op as balls people while trying to level so I like pvp being off in some areas. I agree with the loot drop just not on players. I like the current mobs being easy to kill as I don't have to hammer a zombie for 5 minutes before it dies. Perhaps have the mobs be worth more exp the farther into pvp territory you do instead of making the pve area horrid to live in. (like being stuck between a rock and a hard place) They should be adding place to conquer soon enough though.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
I personally enjoy not getting killed by super op as balls people while trying to level so I like pvp being off in some areas. I agree with the loot drop just not on players. I like the current mobs being easy to kill as I don't have to hammer a zombie for 5 minutes before it dies. Perhaps have the mobs be worth more exp the farther into pvp territory you do instead of making the pve area horrid to live in. (like being stuck between a rock and a hard place) They should be adding place to conquer soon enough though.
I could agree with keeping the health even if the xp was turned down in PvE and got increasingly less as you get deeper into PvE continent with PvP continent vice versa

Corium

Stone
Ideas to increase PVE Playerbase:

1. Instead of Treasure hunts, throw down boss mobs with tons of HP that spawn, broadcast a message " A powerful entity as revealed itself on the Northern Planes," and have players, /huntboss to go hunt the boss mob for extra loot.

2. Contested Areas during certain periods. I under the server already has a War mechanic, but people will simply ignore it or ... not notice it, giving NO incentive to remove themselves from throwing blocks around and amassing giant structures. However, having a system that could potentially cause a bit of chaos nearby townships ( script that has Coords for towns pre-loaded and selects an entry and spawns an event nearby that COULD NOT be managed by a single player and turns that immediate area into a contested zone) would get PvE'ers to do a little PvP while still on the PvE cont.

Idea for increased PvP Playerbase:

1. Higher XP gain on mobs, lower HP ( as stated beforehand in other posts, which is a damn good idea

2. % Chance for relic drops that match the class of the person that was killed ( ONLY dropped from level 20+ { or another higher lvl threshold to avoid exploitive farming} )

3. Conquest only starts when X amount of players are nearby, negates farming, promotes PvP ( Only issue would be larger groups could exploit with bigger -one sided- numbers )

4. Scale XP gain for Player kills when killing higher leveled players vs lower leveled players to discourage newb stomping.

Personally, I don't venture into PvP much at all, I only did once and got a chest filled with brick and glass, wasn't worth it as I got smashed by a high level wizard and ranger on the way back to a hero gate. As a PvEer, I see no real gain from going to the PvP cont other than being able to stretch my dick across the table and knock off other people's plates when ( or if ) I kill them... and I'm not mentally unstable enough for that to happen, I'd rather tend to my farms and explore while punching zombies in the face with my fists or raw fish.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Ideas to increase PVE Playerbase:

1. Instead of Treasure hunts, throw down boss mobs with tons of HP that spawn, broadcast a message " A powerful entity as revealed itself on the Northern Planes," and have players, /huntboss to go hunt the boss mob for extra loot.

2. Contested Areas during certain periods. I under the server already has a War mechanic, but people will simply ignore it or ... not notice it, giving NO incentive to remove themselves from throwing blocks around and amassing giant structures. However, having a system that could potentially cause a bit of chaos nearby townships ( script that has Coords for towns pre-loaded and selects an entry and spawns an event nearby that COULD NOT be managed by a single player and turns that immediate area into a contested zone) would get PvE'ers to do a little PvP while still on the PvE cont.

Idea for increased PvP Playerbase:

1. Higher XP gain on mobs, lower HP ( as stated beforehand in other posts, which is a damn good idea

2. % Chance for relic drops that match the class of the person that was killed ( ONLY dropped from level 20+ { or another higher lvl threshold to avoid exploitive farming} )

3. Conquest only starts when X amount of players are nearby, negates farming, promotes PvP ( Only issue would be larger groups could exploit with bigger -one sided- numbers )

4. Scale XP gain for Player kills when killing higher leveled players vs lower leveled players to discourage newb stomping.

Personally, I don't venture into PvP much at all, I only did once and got a chest filled with brick and glass, wasn't worth it as I got smashed by a high level wizard and ranger on the way back to a hero gate. As a PvEer, I see no real gain from going to the PvP cont other than being able to stretch my dick across the table and knock off other people's plates when ( or if ) I kill them... and I'm not mentally unstable enough for that to happen, I'd rather tend to my farms and explore while punching zombies in the face with my fists or raw fish.
I like your idea of turning PVE towns into PVP sometimes, but not with this plugin where they can just hide. Maybe when PVP for your town is turned on you lose power at a much faster rate, but can only be triggered on when multiple people in the town are online. For your other
1. Good idea but I don't think @Kainzo wants to give people in PVE less xp like Haven again.
2. Will greatly increase camping so not a great idea.
3 will make it so you can't 1v1 over points
4. If people want xp they will go grind mobs, they won't try pvping just for xp

Last edited:

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Again ideas that force PvP on players who are obviously trying to avoid it will only drive players away. The carrot works better than the stick. Let's talk about ideas that create an incentive to engage in PvP.

Try to remember what is fun for you might not be for the next person. Just because you like to PvP for the sake of PvP doesn't mean the next guy does. If you force it on them they will just leave. If you coax them into it they might find that they enjoy it more than they expected.

Forcing PvP on players who do not want to engage in it will NOT increase PvP, at least not long term. Sure you might have a quick bit of fun abusing the unsuspecting PvE crowd for the first week or so, but once they leave they will not be back and you will be in the same boat you are in now.

Animeman1996

Soulsand
Give each player a skills like this
/skill PveOn : Pve is activated within specified "PVE" regions for X minutes. Failure to recast this skill could result in PVP damage.

This could also be increased by giving people using the pve skills some special physical characteristic so that players know when that player is pve activated.
( in cases of sneaking to jump players)

MY personal opinion is that pve truly does ruin pvp.. and im sorry if you disagree.. I have had this opinion since the first disappointing day of the pve release. the problem is that pve is the dominating portion of the server now. and quite honestly the server would be better without it.. If people want to pve then they should be able to but they should also have to defend themselves in some way.

Lets just revert back to the bastion/early haven.. I started playing in the end of bastion and had no option but to hide, dodge, sneak, evade, fight (or try to fight) to stay alive. I miss that. I really really miss that..

So.. you remove pve.. what happens then? Im sure some players will leave.. but most will stay and learn to pvp and adapt. and old players will come back

NEXT. You should consider the fact that PVP makes the server $$$$$.. people in pve dont have to level as many things (or worry about leveling quicker) so they obviously do not tend to buy boosts. now.. pve creates less pvp.. therefore pve makes the server less $$$$

pve is to pvp
as Broke is to not broke.

Take it from a business student- Create a demand for your shit and you will make money. pve is not demand.. it is just.. pve..

Last but not least.. If you build it, they will come.. assuming shit gets fixed ;)

Thank you ,
have a nice day!