• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion The "logging" issue needs attention.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
Your honor, the defense submits the findings of merriam-webster definition of irregardless, subsection "Usage Discussion", paragraph 1, sentences 3 & 4:

"The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however."

The defense rests its case.

RaekinTheBored

Legacy Supporter 7
Derp is a word, but irregardless isn't.

Webster lost my respect when they decided 'My bad.' was a complete sentence. Also, regardless is already negative. Irregardless would be a double negative. One could simply use the word regard instead.

But on topic, the logout timer sounds like a great idea. It would certainly solve more problems than it would cause.

Tjundis

ICE ICE ICE!
You don't need to remind me :(

All I was getting at is there is more than one side to this coin, and that everyone has their own perspective as well. Many times here, only one or two perspectives are even considered when implementing or suggesting changes. Like I said, just my two cents, and since when has my opinion mattered? ;) I'm in the group that doesn't give half a damn when I come across someone and they log out. It's really of no consequence to me, so implementing a change in an effort to fix something I, personally, don't care about, is simply an inconvenience.

But I digress, again, this is simply my opinion.

I dont think the timer should need to be anything as drastic, maybe something equal to recall, or even 5 seconds would stop most people.

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
Instead of a logout timer what if every class after lost soul got a ranged combat tagging ability. Something with no other function than to keep someone tagged. I feel this ability should have a high cd however, so that it does not get abused to all hell. This could help the low mobility low range classes to enter combat from a distance or help the chasers keep their target in combat longer. Have it function similar to aimed shot with a long range and zoom function. I think this would be an easier fix to the situation. It would not eliminate combat logging but it will help deter it.

Tjundis

ICE ICE ICE!
Instead of a logout timer what if every class after lost soul got a ranged combat tagging ability. Something with no other function than to keep someone tagged. I feel this ability should have a high cd however, so that it does not get abused to all hell. This could help the low mobility low range classes to enter combat from a distance or help the chasers keep their target in combat longer. Have it function similar to aimed shot with a long range and zoom function. I think this would be an easier fix to the situation. It would not eliminate combat logging but it will help deter it.

Carbash, thats a really goddamn good idea, maybe something that works like scan does, but combat tags. Maybe it could be named pursuit? As long as you're within their line of sight, they can pursue with it. The only part I would change would be for it to have a low cooldown and definitely be instant, I'm not sure how that could be abused.

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
A group of people could leave someone tagged indefinitely, that was my concern with it is that there has to be a time when you get an opportunity to leave combat. Remember you cannot eat while in combat. Perhaps if it worked where it cannot be placed on you within a certain amount of time after the last one was used.

Tjundis

ICE ICE ICE!
A group of people could leave someone tagged indefinitely, that was my concern with it is that there has to be a time when you get an opportunity to leave combat. Remember you cannot eat while in combat. Perhaps if it worked where it cannot be placed on you within a certain amount of time after the last one was used.

Well that would be the point. Until you have eluded your enemies sight, they can chase you and keep you in combat.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
There are a ton of ideas to create new skills and new methods, but the problem with logging out while pvp tagged, similar to the problem of herogate hopping and safe zone hopping could be resolved quickly and painlessly by just upping the PVP tag timer to 1 minute.

If you cannot keep an opponent tagged with a 1 minute timer then you do not deserve the kill. If an opponent runs into a no pvp zone and you cannot tag him once in 60 seconds then you do not deserve the kill.
This will force people to wait 60 seconds to recall but meh, it's a tiny annoyance or we could just remove the block from using recall while tagged which is a better idea in my opinion.

10 second fix, open the config file set the PVP tag timer to 60 seconds instead of 10.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
There are a ton of ideas to create new skills and new methods, but the problem with logging out while pvp tagged, similar to the problem of herogate hopping and safe zone hopping could be resolved quickly and painlessly by just upping the PVP tag timer to 1 minute.

If you cannot keep an opponent tagged with a 1 minute timer then you do not deserve the kill. If an opponent runs into a no pvp zone and you cannot tag him once in 60 seconds then you do not deserve the kill.
This will force people to wait 60 seconds to recall but meh, it's a tiny annoyance or we could just remove the block from using recall while tagged which is a better idea in my opinion.

10 second fix, open the config file set the PVP tag timer to 60 seconds instead of 10.
This makes sense, and it is probably a good first step, but it doesn't solve the issue of people just instantly logging out as soon as they see someone.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
That is an issue you should just let go.
Honestly, you have not even engaged the person, there was no fight to begin with.

If you have this happen make a box around them and fill it with lava and enjoy the thought that they will die when they log in.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Honestly, you have not even engaged the person, there was no fight to begin with.

If you have this happen make a box around them and fill it with lava and enjoy the thought that they will die when they log in.
It's still really lame if someone just logs. It doesn't seem very continuous with the immersive nature of the game, and it's certainly not "hardcore". I don't see why I have to let this go if logout NPCs or logout timers are possibilities.

Tjundis

ICE ICE ICE!

And then their friends come tear down the box when you leave.

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2

If the time gets upped, I'd love to have a way of checking if you are still tagged (an actual thing, not trying to eat food or something like that) or a way to check how long you are still tagged.

EzMac2099

TNT

I personally don't think upping the pvp tag to 1 minute is the best solution simply because of inconvenience. 1 minute is a long time to wait to; eat some food (to re-enter a battle), use recall (while a fairly safe distance away), or even log off (from just play fighting). If perhaps there was a distinction between a pvp tagger and a logout tagger then sure, maybe a 1 minute logout timer would help the problem, while keeping the pvp tagger the same.

On a side note, does the pvp timer on the heromod work for anyone? Because mine doesn't.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
I personally don't think upping the pvp tag to 1 minute is the best solution simply because of inconvenience. 1 minute is a long time to wait to; eat some food (to re-enter a battle), use recall (while a fairly safe distance away), or even log off (from just play fighting). If perhaps there was a distinction between a pvp tagger and a logout tagger then sure, maybe a 1 minute logout timer would help the problem, while keeping the pvp tagger the same.

On a side note, does the pvp timer on the heromod work for anyone? Because mine doesn't.

Although I am not a huge fan of my own idea, it is the quicked method to stop people from combat logging.
As far as food goes, it would not be an issue. There are already two timers working, Combat Timer and PVP Timer. The only timer that would be effected would be the PVP timer so all it would effect would be getting killed for logging out in PVP.

Edit: It would also increase the time you are given to kill someone when they run into a Safe Zone, like Jack did twice last night. ;)

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
Wow, can't believe this thread is still going. This was made in like February, wasn't it?

The reason this thread is still going, is because this is still an issue. It has been a LONG time since this issue was brought up, yet no real changes have occurred. I believe the combat timer was increased to 15 seconds, but that doesn't solve the issue.

When I think of "Combat logging" I think of someone logging out to AVOID combat, as opposed to logging out IN combat. Which is the main issue I find right now. If I engage someone in a fight, and I am actually attacking them, they aren't going to log out, because they know the consequences. However, if I see someone in the world and I am about to engage them, and THEN they log out, that is the issue I have.

I understand the other side of this issue. People are sick and tired of dying, and they don't want to lose stuff. It honestly doesn't bother me that much if a low level logs out on me. They wouldn't stand a chance, and being a low level, they won't generally have any good loot. The things is, it pisses me off to no end when an active PvPer logs out to save their stuff, ELO, or something else.

So, the question is what can we do to fix this? I honestly think that the original ideas presented (the NPCs) would be wonderful.

My opinion on the issue.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
I agree with pretty much everything. With the recent change of having armor and your held item stay with you upon death, people should have much less to complain about if they get ganked. I will add that logging after combat begins is still a big problem, too.

@Eldrylars - I was not aware that running into no-PvP was dishonorable (it's not). If you can manage to use your wit / skill / class abilities to escape into no-PvP, then that is legit. It is part of the built-in game mechanics.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
@Eldrylars - I was not aware that running into no-PvP was dishonorable (it's not). If you can manage to use your wit / skill / class abilities to escape into no-PvP, then that is legit. It is part of the built-in game mechanics.

I don't think it's dishonorable at all. I was just saying it would give an opportunity to catch those who try to use the safe zones to get out of combat where as right now it's very hard to do as jumping into the portals eats up most of the timer!

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
I agree with pretty much everything. With the recent change of having armor and your held item stay with you upon death, people should have much less to complain about if they get ganked. I will add that logging after combat begins is still a big problem, too.

PVPers have much less to complain about getting ganked. They only carry what they need to gank people themselves. Everyone else often has other things, building mats, etc. It's not cut and dry. Stop pretending everyone is a pvper. If anything, keeping those items on death is catering to pvpers over others.

Also, as a side note, logging off is a built-in game mechanic. You shouldn't have a problem with one and not the other. It's the same thing.