• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion The "logging" issue needs attention.

Tjundis

ICE ICE ICE!
You're acting like everyone that escapes the combat timer would have gotten off scot free if they had kept running, but many times this is not the case. Ninjas will smoke away and reappear in range of a dragoon, but when the dragoon is about to jump on him, he logs out. He would have died because he escaped poorly, but the combat timer allows him to live anyway.

The other case is both the person running away and the person chasing have equal mobility. Gradually, the person chasing could wear the other person down with ranged attacks and get the kill. Oops, he missed one of his fireballs, now the other can escape death without legitimately escaping.

I don't believe that mobility classes are op or broken. If you would have been able to get out anyway, I don't care whether or not you log out, but the only thing people have in mind when making threads like this one is all the times that someone wouldn't have been able to get out, but got out because they logged.

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
I think you're still kind of missing the point. Escaping the combat timer does mean they can get off scot free. According to Kainzo anyway. I understand that you don't like that, which would be why this (and other) thread exists, but the fact of the matter is that if someone escapes the combat timer and decides to log, he has effectively escaped combat. Oops, he missed one of his fireballs, and has thus failed to keep his prey combat tagged, allowing his escape. I mean, in all reality, if that's how people want to spend their time playing, i.e. NOT playing because they're logged off, who's to tell them otherwise? Sure they can go play some other game or something while they wait it out, but they are still not playing HC then, not gaining levels, materials, etc. But I feel like that's their choice. As it is, they are forced into, at minimum, 10 second combat with an attacker, who then has to keep them in combat or be forced to watch as they escape. One way or the other, someone isn't happy.

I'm not saying it isn't annoying as all hell.

Keache

Legacy Supporter 7
If it makes things easier, you can have a /logoff command that basically has you sit and wait before you're teleported to the hub, at which point you can log out. If your game crashes or you just vanilla log out then you character will sit there for 10 seconds.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Combat logging is easily one of the most disgusting aspects of Herocraft. It's shit like that that has drained my motivation to play these days.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
@Delfofthebla / others
As I stated, almost a year ago.

The only real fix is to stop players from logging out unless they do the command /logout - its not a "combat" change but a change in how we let players go offline - if they don't "log out" an NPC is left for their player (items/exp/etc) can be slain/popped by mobs/players.

I don't know of a great way to do this but Afforess and the spout team think its possible with what's in Spigot/Bukkit.

Feel free to give it a shot. I don't see a better solution to this issue.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Remember on Zeal when you had to /hero save before you logged out or you'd lose EXP?

Why can't we do a /save or /logout that has a warmup timer. Can't we make it so if you don't /logout before exiting you are /kill'd ?

We would need to make an exception for people who disconnect, becuase that happens to us all and I don't wanna die from that. However forcing people to do a command like /logout would prevent them from logging before PVP begins, and logging right when the timer expires.

EDIT: Keep in mind I only read the first post of this thread before writing the above post

EDIT 2: After looking at the above few posts before mine, I think my suggestion is more feasible than dynamically creating an NPC that can be killed

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Remember on Zeal when you had to /hero save before you logged out or you'd lose EXP?

Why can't we do a /save or /logout that has a warmup timer. Can't we make it so if you don't /logout before exiting you are /kill'd ?

We would need to make an exception for people who disconnect, becuase that happens to us all and I don't wanna die from that. However forcing people to do a command like /logout would prevent them from logging before PVP begins, and logging right when the timer expires.

EDIT: Keep in mind I only read the first post of this thread before writing the above post

EDIT 2: After looking at the above few posts before mine, I think my suggestion is more feasible than dynamically creating an NPC that can be killed
That isn't possible at this time. It's also very dirty to even grant the "save" command to players. The way heroes saves things is very different than in the past and its not not feasible to return to that method.

Last edited:

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
@Delfofthebla / others
As I stated, almost a year ago.

The only real fix is to stop players from logging out unless they do the command /logout - its not a "combat" change but a change in how we let players go offline - if they don't "log out" an NPC is left for their player (items/exp/etc) can be slain/popped by mobs/players.

I don't know of a great way to do this but Afforess and the spout team think its possible with what's in Spigot/Bukkit.

Feel free to give it a shot. I don't see a better solution to this issue.

While that might appease some people (maybe), I can see that as being terribly inconvenient. Even from just personal experience, as someone who doesn't get to play for extended periods of time, as well as having the need to get off of my computer relatively quickly, I know that having to wait around for some timer to finish before I actually log out or just hope I don't get attacked by mobs or what have you would be pretty frustrating. I'm not sure it's really an appropriate fix. When I log off for the night, or in between baby's naps, click logoff and done. Some days I log on and off many times in just a short while. Admittedly, I don't get a lot accomplished those days, but it's the way I have to play if I want to play at all.

Just my 2cents.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
There are lots of classes made for evading. There are very few skills that are actually very effective for chasing (other than other escape / movement skills lol). Why it is like this i have no idea, but it is 100% in favor of the movement classes as they can run at any time, and you will only catch them realistically if

a) you also are a movement class with better movement abilities
b) you are a high agility class (really just ninja, ranger or dragoon) and can run them down (and these classes have great movement abilities too)
c) you have a speed pot and they do not
d) you have put enough damage over time effects on them they will die irregardless.

The game currently has a major shortage of projectile abilities that could be effective for catching people. Skills like entangle are useless the instant the person you are chasing steps one block out of the max range, which is easy to do with blink or any other movement type ability. If entangle were a projectile like fireball it would be much more useful for chasing (may not be as useful / reliable for setting up combos of doom, but thats a win win imo ^~).

Last edited:

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9

This will not work as people will suddenly have connection issues all the time. I used to play a MUD game long long ago and they had logout timers, but if you lost connection you logged instantly. All you had to do was unplug your modem (yes that long ago) or close the telnet application, etc... and it treated it as a disconnect and you were safe - even in the middle of combat. So if anything there needs to be 1 rule not 1 rule for each exception.

I personally have never logged out to avoid combat before - and I almost always die in pvp - but there is no good solution to this. Some people will logout to avoid dying and some will just die like a man. I personally don't think its worth the developer time to mess with when they have so many good ideas to work on instead.

Keache

Legacy Supporter 7
First of all, different people can work on different things. Just because a plugin needs to be made/is in the process of being made doesnt mean you have every single fucking person working on that one plugin, nor is it slowing down the production of other "great ideas" you speak of, unless we only have one developer (pretty sure we don't, correct me if I'm wrong).

Secondly, what are you smoking? This is a GREAT idea. Pvp logging is arguably the most frustrating and broken part of Herocraft. If we are able to implement a plugin that logs one out after waiting 10 seconds -or- leaves their character in game for 10 seconds after hitting disconnect, then I think it would be a worthy investment of developer time. I'm sure many would agree.

Beastmannn

Soulsand
First of all, different people can work on different things. Just because a plugin needs to be made/is in the process of being made doesnt mean you have every single fucking person working on that one plugin, nor is it slowing down the production of other "great ideas" you speak of, unless we only have one developer (pretty sure we don't, correct me if I'm wrong).

Secondly, what are you smoking? This is a GREAT idea. Pvp logging is arguably the most frustrating and broken part of Herocraft. If we are able to implement a plugin that logs one out after waiting 10 seconds -or- leaves their character in game for 10 seconds after hitting disconnect, then I think it would be a worthy investment of developer time. I'm sure many would agree.
I agree with keache, his idea hasn't had any attention and it's the best one here.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
While that might appease some people (maybe), I can see that as being terribly inconvenient. Even from just personal experience, as someone who doesn't get to play for extended periods of time, as well as having the need to get off of my computer relatively quickly, I know that having to wait around for some timer to finish before I actually log out or just hope I don't get attacked by mobs or what have you would be pretty frustrating. I'm not sure it's really an appropriate fix. When I log off for the night, or in between baby's naps, click logoff and done. Some days I log on and off many times in just a short while. Admittedly, I don't get a lot accomplished those days, but it's the way I have to play if I want to play at all.

Just my 2cents.
Get yourself safe - box yourself in cobble or something. If a player isn't after you, you'll be fine. That is the intention, after all. If you don't have 20 seconds (or whatever) to wait for a logout timer, then you probably don't have enough time to play.

Paul_Bakken

Obsidian
You know... I just quickly looked at the title of this thread and I thought to myself:

"D*mn straight! There IS a logging issue on this server! I HATE it when people leave floating treetops all over, and don't cut down the entire tree, and..."

So, yeah. Just shows where MY focus is, I guess. I will concede that the PvP thing is probably more of a priority, though. :)

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
This will not work as people will suddenly have connection issues all the time. I used to play a MUD game long long ago and they had logout timers, but if you lost connection you logged instantly. All you had to do was unplug your modem (yes that long ago) or close the telnet application, etc... and it treated it as a disconnect and you were safe - even in the middle of combat. So if anything there needs to be 1 rule not 1 rule for each exception.
Agree.
I personally have never logged out to avoid combat before - and I almost always die in pvp - but there is no good solution to this. Some people will logout to avoid dying and some will just die like a man. I personally don't think its worth the developer time to mess with when they have so many good ideas to work on instead.
Disagree.

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
If you don't have 20 seconds (or whatever) to wait for a logout timer, then you probably don't have enough time to play.
You don't need to remind me :(

All I was getting at is there is more than one side to this coin, and that everyone has their own perspective as well. Many times here, only one or two perspectives are even considered when implementing or suggesting changes. Like I said, just my two cents, and since when has my opinion mattered? ;) I'm in the group that doesn't give half a damn when I come across someone and they log out. It's really of no consequence to me, so implementing a change in an effort to fix something I, personally, don't care about, is simply an inconvenience.

But I digress, again, this is simply my opinion.