• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion The "logging" issue needs attention.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Logging out is a very simple way to avoid a number of issues. Basically, it bypasses any and all confrontation.

When Logging,
* You don't die.
* Your enemy doesn't get a kill.
* You get to keep your stuff.
* You get to keep your elo / killstreak.
* You don't have to run back to where you died.

I believe logging has become an issue in Herocraft, and I believe something should be done about it.

But Delf! You may shout, if you combat log, you die! And you'd be correct. "Combat Logging" isn't possible, but you can still log while in a fight--you just have to escape the combat timer.

In my opinion, there are four major problems with how Herocraft handles "loggers".

1. Someone can easily log out before a fight actually starts.
Let's say you and a few friends are roaming around looking for pvp. Your group sees a person. He sees your group. Within 1.5 seconds, he is now gone. Often I've seen players log out in the exact instant a fireball would have hit them. This process will often repeat several times until a quarter of the server has logged out on you.​
2. You can still log out mid combat as long as you wait out the combat timer.
Let's say you are fighting someone. If they manage to avoid your attacks for 10 seconds, they can log out freely. I've seen it time and time again, they run away, dodge fireballs, jump into the air, and then log out before they even hit the ground. This is made even easier by the Heromod combat timer that floats on the top of the screen.​
3. The login "invuln" period can be abused in conjunction with logging to reach a safe destination.

I was once chasing a member of the town Oakenshire. Instead of trying to fight, he decided to run (understandable and legitimate decision). However, after getting a safe distance from my group, he logged out.​
We all huddled around where he logged out and watched with disgust as this player repeatedly logged in and out, moving only a couple blocks at a time. While he was logged in, we were unable to kill him due to the "invuln" period of logging in. We dug him into a trap so that he could not escape, but if he had done this at a much more rapid rate (which he could have done) he would have been able to escape without any harm at all.​
4. People who crash in the middle of a teamfight are guaranteed to die, even if they wouldn't have been killed by another player.

I've had this happen to me, had it happen to fellow townies, and had it happen to enemies (to which I cried with glee, of course.) "Combat logging" is...an annoyance. It will kill you if you log out after a skirmish. It will kill you if you crash in a skirmish. It will kill you if you crash in a teamfight. It will kill you if you crash just on the outskirts of a teamfight. It will kill you if a townmate punches you with a piece of bread as you're getting off for the night.​

All in all, it's kind of derp. Yes, it catches "real" combat loggers, and it does manage to do so often. It causes issues, while not entirely solving the problem. I agree that it needs to be in place, but I also think it is not strong enough to catch all loggers. Something else needs to be in place.​

There is one simple fact that nobody can deny. If you are in the processes of being attacked and would not be able to escape an enemy, you are able to abuse logging out in order to avert all danger.

Combat tagging is currently the only system that prevents a player from logging out while in danger, and it isn't always possible to tag someone. Not all classes have ranged abilities, and not all players have the precision and skill necessary to do so from such long ranges.
---------------

So I propose a new plugin to address the issue.

In most MMO's, the server requires anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds for a player to log out. If they crash, they simply sit within the world for those seconds until finally disconnecting them. I have heard that there is a similar plugin for Minecraft, and I think it should be added to Herocraft.

If anyone has any other suggestions, that is fine too--I just really don't think things should be left in the current state.

---

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
In most MMO's, the server requires 10 seconds for a player to log out. If they crash, they simply sit within the world for those 10 seconds until disconnecting them. I have heard that there is a similar plugin for Minecraft, and I think it should be added to Herocraft.
I like exit timers.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
That, Jonsoon, is because you are one of the loggers I am talking about. I can't even count how many times I've seen you or your friends log on me when we were in the middle of a fight, or when you see me approaching from the distance.
I don't PvP. I almost always die when I see someone, and I am rarely outside of a region. I don't know why people keep accusing me of all these PvP related things. Just last week someone accused me of claiming a bounty on a fellow citizen. I have never used the bounty system. Honestly, I sit inside Braavos or spawn and do nothing else.

Regardless, I agreed with your suggestion of the exit timers, don't know why you are attacking me about this.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
/logout
.... Wait 10 secs
It is now safe to logout! *disconnects you automatically*

If you press escape, then disconnect it would leave an Attackable NPC for 10 secs before disconnecting.

I support this! I also support an increase of the combat timer to 15 seconds, even tho my class is very capable of both Camouflage logging and keeping combat timers up, I think we would benefit from that 5 sec increase.

Haunted9899

Legacy Supporter 3
But what about my pvp rank? How do I play without unlimited power? If i hear a a footstep i log, if I hear a lightning bolt go off I log, if i start to fall i log, if i hear a creeper hiss i log, if i start to drown i log....

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
I love this idea.

But what about my pvp rank? How do I play without unlimited power? If i hear a a footstep i log, if I hear a lightning bolt go off I log, if i start to fall i log, if i hear a creeper hiss i log, if i start to drown i log....
Elo is being removed

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
To be honest, I would rather see a much longer combat timer (longer timer ONLY for PvP, not mobs) that is 30 seconds to a minute. However the logout timer is a neat idea.

dils1

Legacy Supporter 7
Its funny now in zeal if you logged to avoid combat it was kinda illegal. the issue has only really sprung up this map though. i agree with the timer

iGavinnn

Legacy Supporter 8
In my opinion there are many ways to keep someone in combat long enough to kill them. If you are un able to hit someone every 10 seconds with one of your many abilities then you don't deserve the kill.

Nevinryal

Glowstone
In some ways it seems that it has gotten to this point because terrain no longer offers the cover it once did. In this day of Optifine and god knows what else, it seems more and more people are able to "spot" incoming people faster and faster.
It seems people are able to make visual contact with their enemies at reasonably far distances both on the offensive and defensive side, and that where we are now is the end result of that fact being carried out for so long. What keeps people from seeing you coming but also cloaks you from a potential stalker who is essentially miles away, was a simple fog of war. A fog of war would simply keep both parties honest until the last minute when both sides were allowed to actually see what they had just gotten into, up close and personal. Just my thoughts. ;p

Ned_Lud

Wood
I support a log-out timer. I also support the spirit of the law being enforced at the town level. If you repeatedly avoid combat in any way, shape or form by logging out, any town leadership worth it's salt ought to send you packing.

Scycor

Legacy Supporter 3
I can agree with this, though for me it's very unfortunate... I desync a lot when I'm in a big town so that would leave me vulnerable so many times :(.

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
I think that PvP loggers should get 3 warnings and then a 3 day ban. So being caught 4 times would be a ban.

Multis_Revenge12

A frightening Cactus!
If people log out with out dying, it sucks but don't cry about them keeping the elo. For one " You don't have to run back to where you died", they never died in the first place if they "logged". If you don't get the kill...that's too bad.;)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Escaping the combat timer means you failed to keep the person in combat - it's not an issue, this is the design of the "in-combat" setting. If they ARE in combat, they WILL die. There's no if's and's or but's about it. There are two "Death" events triggered, one on log out and one on log in. They'll die (Twice possibly)

Could this be lengthened? probably

I think that PvP loggers should get 3 warnings and then a 3 day ban. So being caught 4 times would be a ban.
There's no such thing as pvp logging. Read the above.

It is not possible to implement a log out timer at this time. Though I agree that even when you log out your character should be kept on-line for several seconds.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Kainzo, looks like we're on the same page here, then.

Could this be lengthened? probably
This would help solve Delf's #2 issue.

Though I agree that even when you log out your character should be kept on-line for several seconds.
This would help solve Delf's #1 and #3

Unfortunately.... there seems like there is no way to solve the #4 issue then.