• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

[Skill] Jump tweaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

strongholdx

Legacy Supporter 6
And sudenly as the topic turned to a bloodly flame war Stronghold stopped giving a fuck and played dragoon anyway and spammed jump because he mother fucking could and said 'fuck this thread' out loud so the whole world could hear him, then he proceeded to listen to yet another 3 hours of epic sax guy because it was so goddamn cool and catchy. Then hhe unwatched the thread so he would get no notifications - then he raged on the internet about how Kain hasnt reset the map yet and its 1:00 in the morning

THE FUCKING END

Iarbobray

Legacy Supporter 2
And sudenly as the topic turned to a bloodly flame war Stronghold stopped giving a fuck and played dragoon anyway and spammed jump because he mother fucking could and said 'fuck this thread' out loud so the whole world could hear him, then he proceeded to listen to yet another 3 hours of epic sax guy because it was so goddamn cool and catchy. Then hhe unwatched the thread so he would get no notifications - then he raged on the internet about how Kain hasnt reset the map yet and its 1:00 in the morning

THE FUCKING END
I have an objection to this.

It's 11:00 at night here.

MeganPerk

Legacy Supporter 6
Ethan, I have utmost respect for you as you know your class, but as you pointed out yourself - a dragoon's saving throw is their mobility - and many dragoons (like shadowall) are noobs that don't know how to use jump because they simply spam it. Giving dragoons a passive skill that decreases fall damage by half does not effect your mobility, and jumping mid combat normally would do no damage or about 1-2 damage to the experienced dragoon.

I am not saying we should get rid of jump, nor am I saying that dragoons are overpowered in pvp and need a nerf. What i AM saying is that we have too many people playing dragoons for the sole purpose of how versatile jump is, and that instead of letting them spam jump, we could seperate those who know how to jump from those who dont, and find more people making other classes for more diversity.

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
Loremaster ftw?

Spammable skills are part of games, just because they are spammable doesn't mean it's bad. My best example for this is fireball from guildwars. Super-spammable but some-what weak. Maybe the jump itself should be weakened IE not as high or far? Honestly I think the whole safe jump aspect is only a problem from your north road experiences. It's necessary for other situations besides PvP and should therefore stay imo.

Acherous

Legacy Supporter 9
Ethan, I have utmost respect for you as you know your class, but as you pointed out yourself - a dragoon's saving throw is their mobility - and many dragoons (like shadowall) are noobs that don't know how to use jump because they simply spam it. Giving dragoons a passive skill that decreases fall damage by half does not effect your mobility, and jumping mid combat normally would do no damage or about 1-2 damage to the experienced dragoon.

I am not saying we should get rid of jump, nor am I saying that dragoons are overpowered in pvp and need a nerf. What i AM saying is that we have too many people playing dragoons for the sole purpose of how versatile jump is, and that instead of letting them spam jump, we could seperate those who know how to jump from those who dont, and find more people making other classes for more diversity.
roflolololol. (like shadowall) hahahaha

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
You have hit the nail on the head. I don't agree with people simply jumping mid-air while falling to save themselves from everything.
They don't..? Not without doing something you specifically would like to see in the third section of this quote-a-thon.

I also don't agree with players simply being able to spam jump to test a building's defenses without any worries of fall damage if their test proves wrong. Making dragoons immune to fall damage just sounds stupid, so making them take half as much damage as a passive skill just seems alot better.
They can't... They fall too far below the starting point, they get hurt. This is how Jump works.

...Maybe you could benefit from spending some time as a Dragoon.

Also, I think it would be cool if a dragoon manages to jump to an object mid-air to save themselves from falling the full distance. THAT requires finesse and mastering the jump.
I agree. Wholeheartedly.

Waiting until ur almost at the ground and then jumping just seems like a cheap saving throw for a minimal mana cost on a skill that is used all too often. Spicing up the skill some and getting rid of all the 12 year old button spammers on one class so that they diversify on other classes is what I am hoping for.
So if the skill was used less you would be less irritated by it...? Why should how often it's used have any bearing on this at all? My headcanon is this: Using Jump before you hit the ground is the equivalent of a Dragoon getting his bearings after being pushed off, and preparing for landing. If you could nullify the push effect it produces when used in the air, I think that would be ideal, although it would prevent them from catching a ledge halfway down as you said.

MeganPerk

Legacy Supporter 6
If we were to take away safefall from jump and give dragoons the safefall skill as well as jump, I think that might do it as well.

I just don't like how trivial jump has become for one of my favored specs out of game. I had a crush on the dragoon in the old SNES final fnatasy game; when I played final fantasy online i was a dragoon; and the only reason I don't play dragoon now is because it's used too much and I worry that it might not live up to my expectations.

Its not that I want the jump skill to be used less - its that I want the skill to be used properly and not just spammed nonsensically.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
There is the fact that Safe Fall ostensibly allows for safe descent from more than one drop. Jump is specifically one-time-use. As I said earlier I think maybe Safe Fall should be altered, rather than Jump, either by decreasing it's mana cost or increasing it's duration.

Kain is, was, and will always be best dragoon. Even if he is a face-heel revolving door.

MeganPerk

Legacy Supporter 6
If you miss with a fireball, you just wasted mana and have to wait for the cooldown. Its a complete loss when you miss. Spamming jump may not get you exactly where you want to go, but at least it got you somewhere near where you were expecting (most of the time). Damage on fireball might need to be buffed slightly with the new burning changes being made.

Diffuse

Legacy Supporter 4
Ok, here's my problem with your opinion on jump.

Jump is a fun ability and it is spammed a lot. As a fall damage reducer it is only useful while running away or chasing and in both cases the fight is more than likely already won. None of the issues you are talking about have really any use in a pvp environment as far as gaining an advantage goes. Honestly what you are suggesting is more of a decrease in the fun aspect of dragoon because it is unfair that they can use this ability mindlessly. I see no reason why we should make a spec less fun simply because it doesn't require a lot of technical skill.

As far as how jump works it is clear that you don't really understand it. Honestly I don't know the exact mechanics, but from my experience I've always just considered it a fall reset, meaning you can fall any number of blocks but the spot where you press jump at is the height that calculates the fall damage. If you jump 5-6 blocks from the ground you still take damage. If you are testing a buildings defenses you will definitely take damage for a miss.

Also only times you should ever jump during pvp:
1. To catch up to a fleeing person
2. To catch up to a ranger or caster after being rooted
3. To run away

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
As far as how jump works it is clear that you don't really understand it. Honestly I don't know the exact mechanics, but from my experience I've always just considered it a fall reset, meaning you can fall any number of blocks but the spot where you press jump at is the height that calculates the fall damage. If you jump 5-6 blocks from the ground you still take damage. If you are testing a buildings defenses you will definitely take damage for a miss.
You can call this confirmed, I think- I have done a little testing and it seems as though it does work this way.

Acherous

Legacy Supporter 9
If we were to take away safefall from jump and give dragoons the safefall skill as well as jump, I think that might do it as well.

I just don't like how trivial jump has become for one of my favored specs out of game. I had a crush on the dragoon in the old SNES final fnatasy game; when I played final fantasy online i was a dragoon; and the only reason I don't play dragoon now is because it's used too much and I worry that it might not live up to my expectations.

Its not that I want the jump skill to be used less - its that I want the skill to be used properly and not just spammed nonsensically.
If you miss with a fireball, you just wasted mana and have to wait for the cooldown. Its a complete loss when you miss. Spamming jump may not get you exactly where you want to go, but at least it got you somewhere near where you were expecting (most of the time). Damage on fireball might need to be buffed slightly with the new burning changes being made.
YOU ARE SO TROLLING GIRLLLL. I didn't read a word you said

MeganPerk

Legacy Supporter 6
Never said it was a big issue... was just a pet peeve of mine seeing the ability spammed and abused for other means and a suggestion on how we could prevent spamming and get people to play more classes.

If everything was point and click it wouldn't be fun, you need skill shots and risks. Also with the jump ability, I've seen people use this. It's one of those abilities where you SHOULD be spamming especially if you're in a tight situation or you found a way to get into an enemy base.

If a ranger misses with an arrow he runs back and gets ready to fire another arrow. Works the same with casters.
I wish I had more to say here, but honestly what more do you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.