• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

ALERT Server Status (CHECK HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
Datacenter wants $150 to bring it back online cause they have to send a tech out... oh glorious.

Isn't it their problem it's not working? They're hosting it right? Send a tech out? Jesus where do they have it? A little green box on the side of the road? All the servers I've worked with were put on racks either in the office or a special room right beside the office, the same office all the techs and management worked out of.

Sounds like bullshit. (from my experience)

Davos

Iron
YOU should be asking for a refund for the downtime.. the fault is in their equipment, not in your asking for their equipment to be serviced. What right do they have to charge extra for their own issues effecting what you are paying them for?

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
YOU should be asking for a refund for the downtime.. the fault is in their equipment, not in your asking for their equipment to be serviced. What right do they have to charge extra for their own issues effecting what you are paying them for?
+1

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Isn't it their problem it's not working? They're hosting it right? Send a tech out? Jesus where do they have it? A little green box on the side of the road? All the servers I've worked with were put on racks either in the office or a special room right beside the office, the same office all the techs and management worked out of.

Sounds like bullshit. (from my experience)
Yes and No... they give the box power / internet - we 'manage' it. So to speak. The downage is probably some kind of power outage on their end, I'm not 100% sure at this point.

I'm really wanting to move away from these kind of hosts. However, we DO own the physical hardware.

Grinch

Obsidian Staff

It's his machine on their network. So if his machine had issues that were not caused by anything the datacenter did, it isn't their problem for the most part. I would still request money back for the down time.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
Yeah, tell them you're losing money and it is directly their fault for sucking. Break your foot off in their ass!!

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
It's his machine on their network. So if his machine had issues that were not caused by anything the datacenter did, it isn't their problem for the most part. I would still request money back for the down time.
Hardware issues can be caused by the host, or "acts of god" such as a power flicker and such. But it's almost always preventable, and I'm guessing something just needs to be rebooted like a router/firewall that's hung. $150 to unplug and plug something back in my ass.

Davos

Iron

Would their job not technically still be to make sure it runs? They provide the service of data, and Kainzo pays for the service. If the service is interrupted by something on their end, they shouldn't be charging extra to fix it. More, sending an apology note for the downtime, and getting things back in order.

As a serious question, what exactly is wrong enough with the hardware, to require a $150 service and maintenance fee? Is it just the travel time to get to the actual box, or like Xexorian said above, a simple reboot?

Grinch

Obsidian Staff
Would their job not technically still be to make sure it runs? They provide the service of data, and Kainzo pays for the service. If the service is interrupted by something on their end, they shouldn't be charging extra to fix it. More, sending an apology note for the downtime, and getting things back in order.

As a serious question, what exactly is wrong enough with the hardware, to require a $150 service and maintenance fee? Is it just the travel time to get to the actual box, or like Xexorian said above, a simple reboot?

We don't know the terms of the contract Kainzo has with them. We're just speculating truthfully. As far as we know their contract states Kainzo must walk to the location himself and fix it else he has to pay $150 for a tech to do it. :p

Highly doubt that's the case but you get my point. ;)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Their great guys until its outside of business hours.
One guy mans the emails and the servers remotely and 3-4 field techs man the datacenter. The center is 30 miles from their office. I hate the setup tbh.

Anyways, I think I may just bite the bullet and tell them to go over. having Haddy look into it now to see if he can save us $150 without sending a tech out.

Davos

Iron
We don't know the terms of the contract Kainzo has with them. We're just speculating truthfully. As far as we know their contract states Kainzo must walk to the location himself and fix it else he has to pay $150 for a tech to do it. :p

Highly doubt that's the case but you get my point. ;)

Fair enough. Lets just hope it all gets sorted soon! Good luck Kainzo!

Status
Not open for further replies.