• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Remove Blink

Theazian

Legacy Supporter 3
Listen, being around these forums for awhile-ish, I see a lot of these types of threads. People always complaining that some skill/plugin allows for a small number of individuals to exploit. Here's what this all boils down to. Kainzo and other admins can only do so much to prevent exploiting. If someone is really really determined to exploit/hack, there's very little that admins can do about it. It is principal of thievery, not only in minecraft, but in the real world too. Short of Barnubus said, their is no way HC can receive continual updates to provide fun if everyone is worried about hackers.

TL;DR
There is always going to be some dick who exploits, but we shouldn't have to punish everyone for it.

A

alexhoff1

I suggest locking and deleting this thread, due to many people discovering potential exploits. (aside from the fact that is an exploit discussion.)

MY thoughts on this as a raider - The skill blink is extremely useful, and I use it atleast 200x a day when raiding, and I often have to prove how I get into raid locations. Really all they have to do is ban exploiters, I mean what else can they do..? remove blink and be like "Oh , HAHAHAHA you can't use the other exploitable skills ingame!"

That was a bit disorganized but really, what will they do, since all you have to do is pe and if they can't prove how they got in then they could just be banned.

@staff @Danda

rfgordan

ICE ICE ICE!
@alexhoff1 not much you just said was coherent but i do agree that this thread should stay about suggestions.

For some reason this particular exploit alarms me. I can see that the consensus is against removing blink but I would feel more comfortable if blink was tweaked so that its function was clearer. There has been considerable debate about what blink can and cannot do, and at a minimum I would love to have this cleared up :)

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
@alexhoff1 not much you just said was coherent but i do agree that this thread should stay about suggestions.

For some reason this particular exploit alarms me. I can see that the consensus is against removing blink but I would feel more comfortable if blink was tweaked so that its function was clearer. There has been considerable debate about what blink can and cannot do, and at a minimum I would love to have this cleared up :)
blink's function is to transport the user in the direction they are facing a short distance and should only be capable of traveling through holes the same height as the player.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
In my perfect world, Blink transports the user to the center of a block instead of the corner, thereby never ever choking me, actually sending me where I aim and probably nullifying the get-into-places exploitation. It also would let you through 1x1 holes, because it's teleportation for heaven's sake. And it also costs 1 gunpowder again. Less ideally, it costs 4 redstone instead of 5, so that it doesn't leave me with 4 useless redstone in my inventory. Because Minecraft and base 8.

No matter how often I bring this up I don't seem to get feedback from people who could do something about it (bar the 1x1 hole thing, that's new). They just sound like such good ideas from my PoV, and they don't take much brain power to produce.

Thunderjolt

Legacy Supporter 4
Shall we start a wizards petition? Hah.

All in favor on return to increased range / gunpowder reagent say aye!

@Wizards!!!

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Although I think the most important part would be the center-corner thing, as that causes more problems than short range ever did.:p

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
Listen, being around these forums for awhile-ish, I see a lot of these types of threads. People always complaining that some skill/plugin allows for a small number of individuals to exploit. Here's what this all boils down to. Kainzo and other admins can only do so much to prevent exploiting. If someone is really really determined to exploit/hack, there's very little that admins can do about it. It is principal of thievery, not only in minecraft, but in the real world too. Short of Barnubus said, their is no way HC can receive continual updates to provide fun if everyone is worried about hackers.

TL;DR
There is always going to be some dick who exploits, but we shouldn't have to punish everyone for it.

Yes, but we SHOULD PUNISH PEOPLE FOR IT. I think this is the root of the problem. People wanting it removed are well based because frankly, there is a lack of punishment for exploiters. lack of proper punishment system.

IMO: Kainzo should make a jail where you have to stay logged in for X time everytime you're caught.

EDIT: Caught? hah! like people watch everyone. We need something better than having to have admin involvement to begin with, maybe a public trial system? too much hassle. hmm. Perhaps town jails where people can jail you (instead of kill you) for like up to 30 minutes at a time. (By doing so, they still get to take all your possessions, but you don't lose exp from pvp, instead you serve jail time against that township)

You can't logout, and it should auto-kick you if you AFK more than 5 minutes while in jail, and just incase someone figures that out, 30 minutes while outside of jail!!! Fuck banning people, make them wait and torture them/mind fuck them by letting them camp in jail! If that ain't enough, start rolling their block changes back, when their towns get raided cause they lost half a wall that player built, GG. If that ain't enough start nuking their levels.

We need a hardcore stance against exploiters, again..not for exploiters.

When they introduce new skills and people start exploiting them instead of removing them because all of a sudden a new fun badass skill is deemed too dangerous, just start bitch slapping people. We need order! ORDER DAMNIT!

Fun-Ruiners should be ganked. jailed. rolled back. lose their levels. lose their coins. etc. Worst-case scenario, start banning them after if they don't improve.

Shall we start a wizards petition? Hah.

All in favor on return to increased range / gunpowder reagent say aye!

@Wizards!!!

I have no idea what you're talking about. You're saying to use (less) 4 gunpowder? and increase the range of what? (don't you do enough damage already?) I think I will have to /disagree. :(

tl:dr
there are too many ways to exploit currently;
there is a lack of systems to identify and catch exploiters without human intervention;
there is a lack of punishment to exploiters due to the fact most all of them are not caught.
removing ways to exploit is a valid option; however

I'm open to solutions. Are you?

Acherous

Legacy Supporter 9
Pretty straightforward suggestion. I know that there are lots of wizards that will hate this, but the reality is that I hear the skill blink mentioned ONLY in the context of exploits.

Reasons:
1. Wizards will not have to listen to players calling foul every time they gain access to an enemy town, even though it may have been completely legal.
2. Us muggles gain an obvious benefit - protection from an illegal and highly frustrating mode of entering towns.
3. Staff will not have to deal with what I can only imagine must be a large number or related pe's and complaints, most of which are probably unprovable and time consuming to investigate.

Thoughts?
lol no.

Thunderjolt

Legacy Supporter 4
@xexorian

I was talking about blinks range being increased to 15 blocks, and the reagent changing back to 1 gunpowder. What damage are you talking about silly? :p

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
I love how only Wizards agrees to Thunder, but once a non-wizard posts he disagrees. Wizard is fine imo, balance team should be working on broken classes *Cough Samurai *cough

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
In my perfect world, Blink transports the user to the center of a block instead of the corner, thereby never ever choking me, actually sending me where I aim and probably nullifying the get-into-places exploitation.
In terms of exploitation that change would actually make it worse...

However the 4 redstone instead of 5 is a great idea.
I love how only Wizards agrees to Thunder, but once a non-wizard posts he disagrees. Wizard is fine imo, balance team should be working on broken classes *Cough Samurai *cough
There are far more broken classes than samurai.
Like paladins for instance. With the new mob changes Paladins have no role...

1. They can't tank because mobs get pulled off by skills and they have no skills to gain mob agro.
2. They do so little damage and provide so little to the team that they're ignored in group fights.
3. Their heals are all but worthless against almost any class because they can just be kicked/bashed.