• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Patch 4.93 & DHX in-game shop!

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
lol so it's a fact that either there is constantly a tornado above my house, my internet sucks or god hates me.

That explains why my ping is 5ms to Oslo and below 10 to southern Norway and never above 40 (40 ping = no lag) to any place in Europe. Even EvilThor gets bad ping to HC and his internet is beast (Look at his speedtest to Oslo on that internet speed thread some time ago)

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
There's probably a problem upstream, you can check yourself and find out where it is by doing a simple traceroute. My guess is that if you're seeing 500ms+ ping that you're going through some satellite based ISP peer upstream. Meaning, they're getting data to the east coast with some propietary crap, rather than the normal land lines which are much, much, much faster. That's just my guess.

Again, all of this is up for debate until you do a simple traceroute to Herocraft and find the cause of your lag.

It'll look something like this
IP // Latency
IP ADDRESS 8ms <-- Your first 'router', this is likely your router in your house or the first router your isp uses in your neighborhood.
IP ADDRESS 9ms etc
IP ADDRESS 10ms etc
IP ADDRESS 12ms etc
IP ADDRESS 15ms <-- Your ISP's final router
IP ADDRESS 75ms <-- your isp's peer network
IP ADDRESS 79ms <-- your isp's peer network
IP ADDRESS 453ms <-- your isp's peer's peer. Most likely where the problem is.
IP ADDRESS 478ms <-- another jump inside the US probably maryland
IP ADDRESS 551ms <-- another jump inside the US, probably somewhere mainland
insert another dozen or so jumps
IP ADDRESS herocraft <-- then you get herocraft, and your final latency ping.

Ofcourse, coming from EU, means that you will see like 15-30 jumps, or more. The less, the better. Obviously there are problems with some network in between where you are, and where herocraft is, not neccessarily "your network" or herocrafts. Again, the only way to tell is to do a traceroute.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
Even EvilThor gets bad ping to HC and his internet is beast (Look at his speedtest to Oslo on that internet speed thread some time ago)

That's my point. Your internet is good to europe, somewhere upstream your peer has bad routing technology to the US. Other areas of europe might get good ping to USA though.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
the reason why most people get 30-70ms latency on a good network inside their country is because of the number of jumps it does, and even old school routers might only introduce 2-3ms of latency per jump.

edit:

most of your european to us connections will go up about 100ms, and never more than that unless there is a problem, such as overloaded networks. bad weather. etc.

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
Somehow I get 470-640ms while checking ping from mc, and 180-250ms while tracerouting mc.herocraftonline.com from a command window..
There is a clear difference of around 200ms every time.
I didn't think mc affected ping?
What may the cause of this be?

Anyways:
When tracerouting I find out that the place where my ping is going from 10ms to 126ms is between washington DC and chicago, that sounds a bit strange, but it's what every test I've taken states..

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
Somehow I get 470-640ms while checking ping from mc, and 180-250ms while tracerouting mc.herocraftonline.com from a command window..
There is a clear difference of around 200ms every time.
I didn't think mc affected ping?
What may the cause of this be?

Anyways:
When tracerouting I find out that the place where my ping is going from 10ms to 126ms is between washington DC and chicago, that sounds a bit strange, but it's what every test I've taken states..

That sounds about right, I get about 120ms from DC to chicago.

If your in-game latency is higher, there is another cause for it. I also have discovered that I get latency problems sometimes playing HC but not other servers. I do not yet know the cause of it, only that it is only affecting the current build of HC. I'm also fairly certain it can't be due to low bandwidth... but it might be.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
Try tracerouting it multiple times, the ping and tracert should be identical, there could be something causing some sort of wierd "fuzzy" (or spike lag very fast) in the ping / tracert that's only being detected by a ping instead of a tracert. like it's jumping from 200 to 400ms really fast. call me crazy, but I've seen crazier stuff on network lag issues.

you could open two windows and do a consistent ping test

ping mc.herocraftonline.com -n 1000

this specifies 1000 ping attempts.

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
Try tracerouting it multiple times, the ping and tracert should be identical, there could be something causing some sort of wierd "fuzzy" (or spike lag very fast) in the ping / tracert that's only being detected by a ping instead of a tracert. like it's jumping from 200 to 400ms really fast. call me crazy, but I've seen crazier stuff on network lag issues.

you could open two windows and do a consistent ping test

ping mc.herocraftonline.com -n 1000

this specifies 1000 ping attempts.

pinghc.jpeg

It's pretty stabile, and it's as stabile as this in game aswell..

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
View attachment 7402

It's pretty stabile, and it's as stabile as this in game aswell..

That's not a stable ping test, i can tell you that much from experience. You're bouncing from 140ish miliseconds to 900ms, you've definately got a networking problem somewhere. Especially considering that is a short ping test from my experience. You can sometimes run them over a longer average to get more detailed information, but those short intervals where you're getting 150-200ms is what you should be getting normally.

My guess is that you could have something upstream eating all of your incoming and outgoing connections somehow, peer2peer traffick can do that, such as torrenting and such, but you said your latency to european websites is not 800ms. This could mean a couple things are going on and we can try things to resolve it..

a) something upstream of you on your network is eating the network resources to NA
b) something behind your network, like shared networking, is eating your resources before it gets to NA

I'm thinking you can contact your ISP and tell them you've done some detailed tracert's and ping tests and you're showing spike latency to washington DC and something on their network is causing it, or upstream of them. Be careful to mention that it's jumping from 140ms to 900ms and tell them it's all over the place as far as latency goes.

The terms I'm using are kind of relative, since upstream really just means another node in the spiderweb that is the internet.

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
That's not a stable ping test, i can tell you that much from experience. You're bouncing from 140ish miliseconds to 900ms, you've definately got a networking problem somewhere. Especially considering that is a short ping test from my experience. You can sometimes run them over a longer average to get more detailed information, but those short intervals where you're getting 150-200ms is what you should be getting normally.

My guess is that you could have something upstream eating all of your incoming and outgoing connections somehow, peer2peer traffick can do that, such as torrenting and such, but you said your latency to european websites is not 800ms. This could mean a couple things are going on and we can try things to resolve it..

a) something upstream of you on your network is eating the network resources to NA
b) something behind your network, like shared networking, is eating your resources before it gets to NA

I'm thinking you can contact your ISP and tell them you've done some detailed tracert's and ping tests and you're showing spike latency to washington DC and something on their network is causing it, or upstream of them. Be careful to mention that it's jumping from 140ms to 900ms and tell them it's all over the place as far as latency goes.

The terms I'm using are kind of relative, since upstream really just means another node in the spiderweb that is the internet.
eeehhmm...
Doesn't sound like we're looking at the same picture..
Abseloutly all the tests are between 180ms and 200ms (remember that it's not the last number in a row you need to look at).
This tests are taken in a 2min period of time or so (not entirely sure, but something like that).
And no, I do actually not got a problem with my internet (currently)..

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
A "stable" pingtest is a matter of opinion, and in my professional opinion, you getting 140-900ms to herocraft is a problem with bandwidth somewhere. You're connection is getting bottle-necked somewhere on its way to the server. It's not your connections bandwidth, it's something upstream.

A stable pingtest from what I've seen looks something more like 70-90ms to google from my workplace.

What you're experiencing is what I call "Spike Lag", where your connection will go from a good one to a bad one relatively fast and worse, it's repeating and constant. So, it would seem it is a bottlenecking issue somewhere upstream. It could be because the route your internet connection takes to get to the US is flooded with EU > US traffick and that could just be where your problem is in regards to connecting to herocraft.

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
A "stable" pingtest is a matter of opinion, and in my professional opinion, you getting 140-900ms to herocraft is a problem with bandwidth somewhere. You're connection is getting bottle-necked somewhere on its way to the server. It's not your connections bandwidth, it's something upstream.

A stable pingtest from what I've seen looks something more like 70-90ms to google from my workplace.

What you're experiencing is what I call "Spike Lag", where your connection will go from a good one to a bad one relatively fast and worse, it's repeating and constant. So, it would seem it is a bottlenecking issue somewhere upstream. It could be because the route your internet connection takes to get to the US is flooded with EU > US traffick and that could just be where your problem is in regards to connecting to herocraft.

As I've stated before, I do not got an unstabile ping. And I do not get 900ms to herocraft, ever..
I got between 170-210ms while tracerouting/pinging.
Take another look at the ping test, and look at what the numbers mean, I'm guessing you are looking at the numbers behind the comma, but I don't know.

I don't really got any problem with my internet, and I've never really gotten it.
I got more than enough bandwidth, and pretty stable ping (mc gives me a little higher ping than I would want)..

But thanks for trying to help out :)

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
oh shit, lol I was in such a hurry I was reading decimal points !

sorry dude, yeah your ping is fine, so why were you saying that you were getting 500ms+ ? or was that etkenn

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
it's really tiny and hard to see without my glasses easier to just reply when im multitasking at work k