• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Patch 4.93 & DHX in-game shop!

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
xexorian , where do you live? if you live in a city or can afford great internet, then dont be hatin on all of us people who dont live in cities or have moneys, or live in places that aren't near the server.

The only internet in the world that gets a consistent 500 miliseconds delay would be 56k Dial-up. 20+ year old technology.

Secondly, I would like to explain to you that before the days of AOL and other big 56k Companies my dad owned a huge 56k Dial-Up company and we had several T1 lines going to our racks of modems for our 2,000+ customers to connect to.

Thirdly, Being an avid gamer all my life and living in 6 different locations in the US from out in the boonies and in the city I can tell you that it's the same. If you can get cable, get cable internet, if you get 56k in a city, it's usually worse than it is out in the boonies because they don't upgrade those lines, and the ones out in the boonies are usually better and you'll actually get about 250-430ms ping to most servers.

Statistically speaking ofcourse.^

Now, if you want to claim you live out in the wild jungles of the Congo or in the northern most mountain tip of scandinavia or w/e country you're from and you get 2,000 MS to everything then that's your problem not the servers, and you have no right to come here and complain about class balance decision based on ONE user's PERSONAL problem. That is not to say it's fair to you, because it's not, but it is fair to everyone else who has a decent connection, and I'm not talking about some high-end stuff people here have.

MOST people who have internet will get 150ms or so to Herocraft, or less. Studies have shown that it takes less than 100ms for a person to react to something on the screen, you can look those up. I can tell you from PERSONAL experience that I can react to something in about a tenth of a second as well, from gaming all my life. That's about my limit though, there are people who can react faster than 100ms to a given situation.

Now, I'm no genius but I could say that if we take the common-latency of all of herocraft's users which is around 150ms and add a common 100ms reaction time that would be approximately (because people and their connections (places) are different) 250ms. Give or take a significant amount, around 100ms... well then, even in that situation you're still saying a 500ms-3000ms warm-up on cleric's large heals is not silenceable? I laugh at you and your silly attempts to troll.

EDIT: By the way, for those of you following what I said but got lost, most players ping to the server is around 70-250ms. Which yields a reaction timeframe of about 170ms-350ms. Some people connect better, some people connect worse. This information is just an average based on my experience in the internet provider business competing with Satellite, DSL(phone), Cable, Wireless, and Fiber Optic companies market prices for speed and performance.

If your whole post was to troll, then you have succeeded at getting a technical response from me, but you have failed in comprehending the point of it. Finally, for your information, I was not 'Hatin' on anyone.

EDIT: One last thing, Mikehk if you don't have money and want to complain about your shitty internet connection get out of your chair, walk down the hallway, go up to the recliner, and talk to your DAD about it! :)

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
My worst 8500ms, my best 500ms, normal 2300ms :(

Yes Thomas I know you're one of "those" connections, but yours was explained before to me, and you can't do anything about it from where you are. I sincerely doubt that is the case with most of the other guys that complained ;)

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
No, this wont be re-added. Defensive skills have this benefit, it was never removed from defensive skills. If you see something that doesn't have it, please state which skill.

It's completely natural for someone from EU/Asia to have 150+ ping...

So, you're saying defensive skills like heals can still be bound to a player? I thought we had to target those, I've been yelling at people to stand infront of me for heals all this time! LOLOL! xD

Yeah, that's what I was saying about EU/Asia will get 150-350ms ping, worse if they're on old technology like dial-up. However, most players have cable, dsl, fiber, or wireless internet (which goes through cable). ((And, most wireless companies only introduce a 2 ms time delay to the cable main stream))

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
xexorian You live in US and since you americans won't have to connect to servers across the atlantic to play something, you don't know what ping-hell some of us euros are in when it comes to HC. (I even use the european IP, don't get me started on the regular rpg.hc.to)

thomasyeung9999

Soulsand
xexorian just wanna ask, what determines the network speed, the computer? The WiFi connection? Or the place you are in? I really wanna get a better ping, my computer us the worst one got a f + internet connection. :(

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
Do something simple - google uses intelligent DNS technology, i forget the exact specifics behind it but when you open CMD on start > run and then type 'ping www.google.com -n 1000' that specifys a number of pings to google's nearest server and that will give you a good average ping to an outside network from your internet service provider, (unless it WAS google's internet, which I don't think they have yet, but I'm not sure.)

You can also ping IP address and other websites that don't have ping's disabled. There are ways to block pinging but most big webservers will handle it without it being considered a form of a DDoS attack. It doesn't really use much network traffick at all.. and would take millions upon millions (not feasible with a single computer / basic network card) to really bog anything down.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
xexorian just wanna ask, what determines the network speed, the computer? The WiFi connection? Or the place you are in? I really wanna get a better ping, my computer us the worst one got a f + internet connection. :(

To answer your questions;

A really slow, old computer would not have a good integrated network card, or you could buy an ethernet adapter, but in most cases you would not spend money on a 12 year old or older machine.

WiFi can do it, if there is a lot of noise, if you're in a quieter area (wifi speaking of course) you can rely on it. If it's a public WiFi and you have multiple connections, often a router can not handle more than about 200-1000 incoming and outgoing connections, they're very cheap pieces of shit.

A higher end $150 router will handle much more traffick if it's designed for it, hell, an old Pentium 4 computer with windows server 2000 can be turned into a very, very high powered router compared to most of the $40 junk you see people buy.

However, it is important to note that just connecting to websites and gaming will typically not use that many connections -- what WILL do that is Peer 2 Peer traffick, such as torrenting music, movies, and other legal or illegal software, P2P connections EAT and GOBBLE your router's cpu down. (they're computers too, just very low powered ones.. powered by firmware instead of software.)

My guess is that you have people behind your "Shared Internet Connection" (the same IP) that are all downloading or streaming shit and using P2P connections. So, about the only thing you can do is lock down your WiFi connection, check your available wireless connections and if you see more than 5 or so, I suggest going with an ethernet cable over WiFi.

802.11 A/B/G/N etc. all uses channels, most versed IT people in wireless networking will tell you to separate your wifi channels by odds and even, and 2 channel separation for optimal performance. Anything more than about 11 routers and you've already ate up all the available 'wireless channels' and you'll definately see bleeding and performance loss, even if you are connected at 54 Mbps, that doesn't mean shit. In reality, you're just close to your router and your router is seeing (basically) the same thing as the white-noise on your old tube tv's, except you can't 'see' it, the router does.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
xexorian You live in US and since you americans won't have to connect to servers across the atlantic to play something, you don't know what ping-hell some of us euros are in when it comes to HC. (I even use the european IP, don't get me started on the regular rpg.hc.to)

Actually I've connected across the pacific to korean/chinese mmo's several dozen times now, in particular Aion back before it came out in NA. I had a common latency of around 100-200ms. I very, very rarely saw any spike lag, which was probably way upstream of my peer, located in what they call brown-outs. It's similar to a power station, the internet re-routes intelligently if there are available backbones to do so, so you will occasionally see a "Big-router" go down and it takes about 2 seconds to reroute all the internet traffick for an entire STATE (millions of people) to a backup line, and this is where most end-users who are using sensitive software or gaming will see a hiccup. It's really rare, those big peers use some crazy cool tech to keep network traffick flowing. They've probably got more advanced switches and stuff than even I've seen in the past 10 years.

thomasyeung9999

Soulsand
To answer your questions;

A really slow, old computer would not have a good integrated network card, or you could buy an ethernet adapter, but in most cases you would not spend money on a 12 year old or older machine.

WiFi can do it, if there is a lot of noise, if you're in a quieter area (wifi speaking of course) you can rely on it. If it's a public WiFi and you have multiple connections, often a router can not handle more than about 200-1000 incoming and outgoing connections, they're very cheap pieces of shit.

A higher end $150 router will handle much more traffick if it's designed for it, hell, an old Pentium 4 computer with windows server 2000 can be turned into a very, very high powered router compared to most of the $40 junk you see people buy.

However, it is important to note that just connecting to websites and gaming will typically not use that many connections -- what WILL do that is Peer 2 Peer traffick, such as torrenting music, movies, and other legal or illegal software, P2P connections EAT and GOBBLE your router's cpu down. (they're computers too, just very low powered ones.. powered by firmware instead of software.)

My guess is that you have people behind your "Shared Internet Connection" (the same IP) that are all downloading or streaming shit and using P2P connections. So, about the only thing you can do is lock down your WiFi connection, check your available wireless connections and if you see more than 5 or so, I suggest going with an ethernet cable over WiFi.

802.11 A/B/G/N etc. all uses channels, most versed IT people in wireless networking will tell you to separate your wifi channels by odds and even, and 2 channel separation for optimal performance. Anything more than about 11 routers and you've already ate up all the available 'wireless channels' and you'll definately see bleeding and performance loss, even if you are connected at 54 Mbps, that doesn't mean shit. In reality, you're just close to your router and your router is seeing (basically) the same thing as the white-noise on your old tube tv's, except you can't 'see' it, the router does.
Thankyou, but I just can't change anything but hope for my dad to buy a new computer for me. My mom is always watching movies on her computer. :'(

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
I've also played eve, and several dozen other european games before, including back when I played RCTW: Enemy Territory 2.55 and 2.60 I used to play in league matches on EU servers with 90-150ms. It wasn't 60ms or lower, like some US servers, but I'm telling you -- light travels across the world 7 times in 1 second. It does not take "LIGHT" 10 fucking seconds to get from EU to the US. Period. End of story. It's simple science/proven physics.

Your argument is invalid, your problem lies in your peers or hosts terrible servers and outdated technology. Old school, and I mean REALLY GOD DAMNED OLDSCHOOL stuff used to introduce 50-100ms of latency calculating traffick and stuff. So, there are 2 reason to logically explain your problem

1) you're using P2P traffick on your shared internet connection, or, your peer is using outdated technology.

2) your peer can not handle all of the traffick they're providing to their customers and they lack the bandwidth to provide a solid connection to everyone at specific playtimes.

If you eat up more than about 80% of your backbone speeds as a peer, you start to see slow downs on the end-user side. Most professional ISP's will operate around 50% of their maximum load and refuse to provide internet to more users, or if they reach their max they will purchase more bandwidth from their peers.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
Thankyou, but I just can't change anything but hope for my dad to buy a new computer for me. My mom is always watching movies on her computer. :'(

That (streaming movies) and torrenting/streaming/windows updates, etc. ALL of that is starting to use P2P connections and those will eat up your bandwidth and make you lag really bad.

The best thing you can do is pickup a GAMING <-- wireless N 150 router, or go with a direct ethernet cable to your router, and get your dad to get more bandwidth, upgrade his plan. etc.

navander

Coal
me navander recently place the herocraft link on a miencraft page me and a few friends run that have currently 100+people on it and most of them said they would check you guys out :)

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3

Just FYI, the ping time to europe is much more horrible than you described.
I got a good fiber connection, with around 5ms to some servers in the capitol.
I get 500-700ms as my average ping.

And as I said I got a pretty decent network, there is many places where the only network you can get is either with a satelite connection, or by the mobiletelephone network (both gives horrible ping). And that is not about people who is not willing to pay for it, but people who do not wish to dig their way to the closest fiber station..

EDIT:
Yea, light can travel really fast. But as far as I know does it not exist any network cables that goes direcly from.. for example northern europe to Dallas, or LA or wherever hco is being hosted atm. Signals does not travel with the speed of light when they pass switches and network centers either.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
Ahem, now I know this isn't a true "resource" but it is mostly all true. There are transatlantic cables that carry your internet from europe to the US. Also, I will state as a "FACT" (you can not argue a fact) that ALL of your network and major data centers only ever introduce 0.01 to 2.00 MILLIONTHS OF A SECOND lag. That equates to approximately 2ms. However, you will travel through many of them, and though they are fast, things and factors like Weather and brown-outtages (power grid failures) can cause increased latency issues in real-time. Bad weather on the east coast for example might cause week-long high latency to the west coast from EU. It's been known to happen. Also, all of your network centers are generally connected, and I will not explain how, it it sooo much more to explain and then you would want to argue with me again about it. Why mention it? because it also solves the loophole argument you're about to ask about Brown Out's killing the internet altogether if it's a power grid failure. Basically, the "internet" reroutes "traffick" "upstream" and then "around" the problem. This causes latency when those special routes become flooded or overloaded with data, which is where a datacenter has a failure point. They can cause EXTREMELY INCREASEDlag when operating near max, maximum, and overloaded, relative of course to the general 0-2ms latency increase. Light travels super fast through electronics too. Unless you think somehow these datacenters have 3x the earth's width in wiring inside them, then they will not introduce 300ms latency. Do some basic math/understand your world first.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080818141041AAVjBK0

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
Point being, if you're getting a constant 500-700ms ping to anything in the US, it's because there's either

A) a bad connection somewhere caused by weather or acts of god
B) your internet service provider's internet service provider's internet service provider's routing equipment/computers suck dick and need to be replaced. Unfortunately the only help line you'll ever get is your peer's, not your peer's peer's peer. That's "how it works". You'd basically need to get a hold of your ISP's "President" or "CEO" and get him to bitch at their ISP's "President" or "CEO" and then have them bitch at their ISP's "President" or"CEO". WORSE YET, those guys have teams of network guys they'd have to get to identify the problem, and chances are, those guys either a) dont know how or where to do that, mostly because they're underpaid scrubs, or b) they are actual "smarties" and have bigger fish to fry than a 'few' network problems afflicting 65,000~ users out of their several millions. And best case scenario they track it down, but after it's put on a waiting list, in which case some guy at one of their random data centers will realize their windows NT machine is crapping out one of it's network cards and that was causing your problem.

etc.

the list of reasons for it basically boil down to

"your isp sucks"

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
If you don't believe me, or the guy claiming the spider-web theory behind the internet and how it works, you should google more information or simple try a Traceroute back to HC's server. It will show you every router or 'route' you jump through to get to HC and it will show you exactly where the lag is introduced at. Once you have that location you can find it's IP, do a reverse DNS lookup and see where it's at, who owns it, etc. if it's not "blacklisted" information like a government site, and then you could call them and tell them they are having a problem routing european traffick to vegas or wherever HC's server is, and ask them to investigate.

The problem is however, that you will never, ever find a network technician's phone number attached to whoever owns that location, it's almost always a big business or a small private business without a phone number, and you'll get a receptionist in a totally different department or might find a website. that's it. They're almost impossible to contact.

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
Ahem, now I know this isn't a true "resource" but it is mostly all true. There are transatlantic cables that carry your internet from europe to the US. Also, I will state as a "FACT" (you can not argue a fact) that ALL of your network and major data centers only ever introduce 0.01 to 2.00 MILLIONTHS OF A SECOND lag. That equates to approximately 2ms. However, you will travel through many of them, and though they are fast, things and factors like Weather and brown-outtages (power grid failures) can cause increased latency issues in real-time. Bad weather on the east coast for example might cause week-long high latency to the west coast from EU. It's been known to happen. Also, all of your network centers are generally connected, and I will not explain how, it it sooo much more to explain and then you would want to argue with me again about it. Why mention it? because it also solves the loophole argument you're about to ask about Brown Out's killing the internet altogether if it's a power grid failure. Basically, the "internet" reroutes "traffick" "upstream" and then "around" the problem. This causes latency when those special routes become flooded or overloaded with data, which is where a datacenter has a failure point. They can cause EXTREMELY INCREASEDlag when operating near max, maximum, and overloaded, relative of course to the general 0-2ms latency increase. Light travels super fast through electronics too. Unless you think somehow these datacenters have 3x the earth's width in wiring inside them, then they will not introduce 300ms latency. Do some basic math/understand your world first.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080818141041AAVjBK0

Since you tell me that I can't argue a fact, why do you argue that I got 500+ ping to HC (which is a fact).

I'm not saying that I got a perfect understanding, but I know that before my signals leaves Europe and enter the trans atlantic cable(s), has it been in Oslo, Copenhagen, Berlin, Amsterdam, London++
If you also count in package loss, traffic, rerouting, hardware response time you get another number than your air distance * light speed.

I would also like to point out for you that internet access via satelites (geostationary) gives an average of 638ms (according to wikipedia).

EDIT: when I wrote this I only read the first of your tripple posts.

Only problem xexo, is that I'm not the only one. Abseloutly everybody got the same problems (including the science networks, build and held by the universities),