• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Patch 4.93 & DHX in-game shop!

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
The Cleric is a pure healing class, plain and simple. They offer no special buffs, no unique utility, they just have very powerful heals. That is what makes their class, and that will always be their design. They are a heavily armored healer that has an emphasis on long warmups. The moment the receive special party buffs or unique abilities that aren't related to healing, they become too powerful, and in my opinion, it breaks their design.

Wait up here a second, Delf. Why would things like wisdom, might, accelerando, etc. break their design? Those are group buffs that effect every class equally. 80% faster mana regen, 20 or 25% physical damage, and speed buffs. If anything I'd like to see a 20-25% SKILL damage ability, 80% faster stamina regen, and we already have excavate. That would balance the system by buffing every aspect of every class in a party, and that is THE "Support" role.. is it not?

Perhaps here, you could give a few select support classes the skill-dmg buff ability, and a faster stamina regen ability. Also, I'd like to complain that Wisdom doesn't change how fast you regen, it changes how much you regen. (I go from 7 or 8 per tick to 12 per tick. The 'tick rate' doesn't change though.) I think it would be cool to see that instead.. if possible. It would be nicer to cast sooner than rely on discrepencies on when you regenerate mana every so often. For example if I was at 19 mana waiting to get 25 for my next fireball, and I died in that 5 second window or w/e it is because I was unable to cast it, due to the fact that my mana isn't going 19 20 21 22 23 24 real fast, instead it's just 19.........wait.......25........wait.......32...... it is slow. Also, wisdom incorrectly states how much it helps...

7 mp5 + (0.8 x 7)=5.6 = 12.6 mp5.

As far as I can tell, I don't get to see that .6 but I would have to test it better to see if every other tick adds another 1 point of mana. (1.2) then test it on the 3rd tick after that to see if its (1.4) then the next tick after that to see if its 2.0, etc. IDK, I just feel it's kind of imba. I wish mana regen was fluid.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
Runes not carrying over in arenas is done more from a "realism/standardization" aspect.

The Cleric is a pure healing class, plain and simple. They offer no special buffs, no unique utility, they just have very powerful heals. That is what makes their class, and that will always be their design. They are a heavily armored healer that has an emphasis on long warmups. The moment the receive special party buffs or unique abilities that aren't related to healing, they become too powerful, and in my opinion, it breaks their design.

With the Mystic, we're trying to stray from that a bit. They have heals, sure, but the heals aren't all the bring to the fight. They've got offensive capabilities and other unique abilities that change up the fight a bit. Their heals are more centered around HoT effects rather than instant healing. They're "earthy" or "nature" based, and I just feel as though HoT heals fit that better. Same thing with Entangle / EarthWall.

I'll take your comments into consideration however, and the balance team will re-access the Mystic's teamfight viability in the next patch.

Thats cool, like i said i have no clue on overall balance really, just liked the mystic with more healing - maybe it was too much though. One of the reason i preferred the mystic was the instant / shorter cast times on some abilities. They still have that over the cleric, but that is one issue i think may need to be looked at slightly. With the new increased cleric cast times, and the short cooldowns on bash / kick, +lag (which probably shouldnt be considered but does effect things, although its alot better lately), it is often possible for a single warrior / rogue class to completely prevent cleric from healing with anything with a 3 second+ castime outside of invulnerabilities. I think both kick and bash could use an increase of cooldown of ~1 second to make it more of an "every other long spell" interrupted thing, but dunno. Maybe if all melee abilities didnt go through armor atm this wouldnt be as big an issue.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Some slight changes that don't deserve an entire patch....

Bloodmage:
  • BloodBond healing reduced to 25%
  • BloodUnion minor changes in how it works.
  • Bloodboil slightly tweaked to be less damaging.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Wait up here a second, Delf. Why would things like wisdom, might, accelerando, etc. break their design? Those are group buffs that effect every class equally. 80% faster mana regen, 20 or 25% physical damage, and speed buffs. If anything I'd like to see a 20-25% SKILL damage ability, 80% faster stamina regen, and we already have excavate. That would balance the system by buffing every aspect of every class in a party, and that is THE "Support" role.. is it not?
To clarify, as I'm not 100% on your perspective here, the buffs themselves do not break the design, the presence of the abilities on the Cleric class is what breaks their design.

I also want to state that while I did say, and do think that, my opinion in no way stands for Kainzo's. He could have a very different vision for what the Cleric is, or what it should be or not be.

My opinion has a bit of lore to it, but it is more heavily weighted on the balance side of things. Wisdom itself seems pretty balanced, Might is...possibly balanced, and all the bard buffs are pretty balanced too.

The issue is when a class is too good at certain things, and then also has other things going for it. A bard is not the best melee. He just doesn't do enough damage. But he brings very powerful slows, very powerful buffs, and a pretty powerful AoE silence. However, all of his abilities limit him greatly. He can't melee while channeling abilities. He can only do a few things before he runs out of stamina, preventing him from doing more. He also has his own set of mana issues that kick in when he starts being "too useful".

The cleric...heals, he heals hard, and he does it to many people. He wears full chain with Iron chest and also has decent HP. We can't just add this kind of stuff to this kind of class.

Groups rarely consist of every single class. Groups do not always have group buffs. When a group does have a group buff, you have to take into account that he will 100% always provide that benefit to his party, and "his party" could be anywhere from 1 to 10 people. To ignore this and not balance around the fact is absurd.

We also have to work with Kainzo's desired vision for Cleric. The problem with that, is that a full blown Cleric that matches his lore correctly, is overpowered as fuck. A "True" Cleric wears heavy platemail, has large heals, has several different types of heals with varying cast times, cures poisons, removes diseases, purges debuffs, buffs his allies for increased health and damage, carries a shield, and has moderate melee damage.

Imagine Cleric on Herocraft doing all of that. Does any of that sound fair to you? If that were the case, you'd be insane to go anywhere without a Cleric. I do not wish for this to be the case.

We can also take the Bloodmage as an example. He deals a very large amount of damage for a healer. Because of this, his active heals are weaker than most healers, and cannot be used nearly as often. They also hurt the Bloodmage to boot. He is forced to sustain his group by dealing damage. He does not have party buffs, and he cannot "support" his allies by other means. He is also very susceptible to burst. Unlike a Cleric, he has very little armor, and due to his mana problems, will repeatedly lower his own health just to continue doing his job.

Now, I know we're still tweaking the Bloodmage and fine-tuning the balance, but my point here is that they have a large strength, and to compensate, he is given weaknesses. We cannot do this to Cleric due to his lore/concept. We can't lower his health, we can't lower his armor, we can't lower his heals. Because he cannot lose anything, he cannot gain anything.

If we want to give him buffs, we have to take something away. But what can we take away? Just about the only thing I can even think of is his healing, which to be honest, seems like the wrong direction. Even still, I'm not against doing this, but I'm not sure how everyone else would feel. Additionally, Kainzo has not made it completely clear what he wants from the class. What he's willing to lower, what he's willing to add, ect.

My point is that I do not think it is fair for a Cleric, in it's current state, to have group buffs in addition to powerful heals.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
To clarify, as I'm not 100% on your perspective here, the buffs themselves do not break the design, the presence of the abilities on the Cleric class is what breaks their design.

I also want to state that while I did say, and do think that, my opinion in no way stands for Kainzo's. He could have a very different vision for what the Cleric is, or what it should be or not be.

My opinion has a bit of lore to it, but it is more heavily weighted on the balance side of things. Wisdom itself seems pretty balanced, Might is...possibly balanced, and all the bard buffs are pretty balanced too.

The issue is when a class is too good at certain things, and then also has other things going for it. A bard is not the best melee. He just doesn't do enough damage. But he brings very powerful slows, very powerful buffs, and a pretty powerful AoE silence. However, all of his abilities limit him greatly. He can't melee while channeling abilities. He can only do a few things before he runs out of stamina, preventing him from doing more. He also has his own set of mana issues that kick in when he starts being "too useful".

The cleric...heals, he heals hard, and he does it to many people. He wears full chain with Iron chest and also has decent HP. We can't just add this kind of stuff to this kind of class.

Groups rarely consist of every single class. Groups do not always have group buffs. When a group does have a group buff, you have to take into account that he will 100% always provide that benefit to his party, and "his party" could be anywhere from 1 to 10 people. To ignore this and not balance around the fact is absurd.

We also have to work with Kainzo's desired vision for Cleric. The problem with that, is that a full blown Cleric that matches his lore correctly, is overpowered as fuck. A "True" Cleric wears heavy platemail, has large heals, has several different types of heals with varying cast times, cures poisons, removes diseases, purges debuffs, buffs his allies for increased health and damage, carries a shield, and has moderate melee damage.

Imagine Cleric on Herocraft doing all of that. Does any of that sound fair to you? If that were the case, you'd be insane to go anywhere without a Cleric. I do not wish for this to be the case.

We can also take the Bloodmage as an example. He deals a very large amount of damage for a healer. Because of this, his active heals are weaker than most healers, and cannot be used nearly as often. They also hurt the Bloodmage to boot. He is forced to sustain his group by dealing damage. He does not have party buffs, and he cannot "support" his allies by other means. He is also very susceptible to burst. Unlike a Cleric, he has very little armor, and due to his mana problems, will repeatedly lower his own health just to continue doing his job.

Now, I know we're still tweaking the Bloodmage and fine-tuning the balance, but my point here is that they have a large strength, and to compensate, he is given weaknesses. We cannot do this to Cleric due to his lore/concept. We can't lower his health, we can't lower his armor, we can't lower his heals. Because he cannot lose anything, he cannot gain anything.

If we want to give him buffs, we have to take something away. But what can we take away? Just about the only thing I can even think of is his healing, which to be honest, seems like the wrong direction. Even still, I'm not against doing this, but I'm not sure how everyone else would feel. Additionally, Kainzo has not made it completely clear what he wants from the class. What he's willing to lower, what he's willing to add, ect.

My point is that I do not think it is fair for a Cleric, in it's current state, to have group buffs in addition to powerful heals.

Well I disagree in many ways to this post Delf. The lore for clerics in many video games has been solid, and it is balanceable.

For one, make the heals large but easily interruptable, ie: 1-3 second warmups. A skilled player can react in half a second, a very skill player can react much faster than 500ms. This is a more than reasonable warmup to actually be interruptable. Also, his large heals have a range limit, and will not even land if you can tremor or pull/push a player away from them. There are multiple ways to screw those heals up.

For two, your other reason was that the other classes lore does not make them as powerful as a cleric's lore. I disagree, change the lore, or make the skills in the 'lore' more balanced, less interruptable, slightly more powerful. A blood mage should be a very fearsome class wearing light armor but having strong self heals through his sustained damage that has light-group healing provided through his skills. That balances both problems with bloodmage being susceptible to burst, have him sustain himself a little more with his offensive style. Don't give them options for defense if their only option is offense. Besides, players have other class choices that may match their play style better.

Option 2, If someone wants Bloodmages to have offensive and defensive playstyles then you could do it differently than that too. Give them absorbs or something, like a Blood Barrier that absorbs, say 300 damage, at the cost of a similarly skilled burst damage ability. That way a BM can go toe to toe with just being a tank. But then they would lack all offensive ability, and could only balance the class with it's given mana-stamina costs per ability. There's more you could do with the idea of a Thaumergy based class like that. You could give bloodmages 1 drain life skill, give them a blood-purifying skill that removes diseases and poisons, give them blood barrier they can cast on themselves or another, and reduces damage they take by 20%, like conviction. Maybe, when they cast it on themselves they can use a second offensive ability, and when they cast it on others, they get a second healing ability. Allowing them to change the way they play in small groups or solo.

I can't seem to find a lack of ideas to balance it, I only have the problem of everyone else having a problem with balancing my ideas.

Clerics just can't be that OP with wisdom, conviction, and other things. (Because he is in a group)

Especially if you started introducing single-target buffing mechanics, instead of 10-player buff mechanics.

For example; a cleric with blood barrier, conviction(party-wide), wisdom(party-wide), and a bard who silences players attacking him would still be susceptible to warriors using bash, holystrike, rogues kick, etc.

Think about it, Samurai, Dragoon, Paladin, Dreadknight, WIZARD?, Beguiler?, etc. all with conviction, wisdom, might you really think that a cleric, one person in their entire group is going to be more op with that setup?

Then you simply wouldn't focus the cleric, you would simply interrupt his heals and focus their support or burst.

There's a way to play each group vs group scenario and I just don't think that stating a cleric with all of that is more powerful is fair, because he IS in a group and IS being supported by a support class.

Healing does not make you a support class, it makes you a healer.

I think the support classes should have viable roles outside of "Large Heals" alone, such as making other classes stronger by compensating for their weaknesses.

This encourages group play, and I'm pretty sure that's what I think Kainzo would like to do with the Balance of the Heroes plugin.

He's stated this before about wanting to encourage players to work together to get things done.

I could only assume here this includes PVPing with "Support" classes buffing "Pures" (either damage dealers, or healers.)

That's my opinion of it, and I know I kind of ran all my ideas smashed together in a wall of text but hopefully you can find clarity of my meaning reading it through just once.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
xexorian - For the statement ''A skilled player can react much faster than 500ms'' Remember that for EU people like me, the server latency is 0.5 - 2 seconds normally.

huntmoak

ICE ICE ICE!
I was wondering if /skill <skillname> <target> could be re added? And I was wondering Why it was removed. This is the only reason I could heal an ally in a fight, Pointing tiny crosshairs at them while they run around, thrown about by skills, Is very difficult.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
I was wondering if /skill <skillname> <target> could be re added? And I was wondering Why it was removed. This is the only reason I could heal an ally in a fight, Pointing tiny crosshairs at them while they run around, thrown about by skills, Is very difficult.

It was changed to make combat more skillful. Before people could run away, but still attack people behind them.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
Think is xexorian Kain's vision is mostly aimed at Basic Lore rather than Herocraft lore. And the reason for that is we hardly have anything going on in Lore right now.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
xexorian - For the statement ''A skilled player can react much faster than 500ms'' Remember that for EU people like me, the server latency is 0.5 - 2 seconds normally.

Ping the IP. Screenshot an image of several ping attempts. Upload the screenshot. Then, and only then, I'll believe you.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff

Which is a primary reason why i think (if this is still all true) that cleric heals aren't as overpowered as people think they are. if at some point the server stops with the rubber banding lag spikes and crazy memleaks bogging it down then yeah i can see changing cleric at some point. Right now, targeting heals and stuff like that with skills that throw your party members away from you are very viable, and really easy, and common, tactics used against people. Half of the time those said abilities deal damage so why WOULDNT you use them is a better question.

huntmoak

ICE ICE ICE!
It was changed to make combat more skillful. Before people could run away, but still attack people behind them.

Is there a way to make it so it only works with healing skills? Because I can barely land a heal even if we are just strolling side by side, out leveling. Or maybe increase the hitbox for heals, idk.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team

No, this wont be re-added. Defensive skills have this benefit, it was never removed from defensive skills. If you see something that doesn't have it, please state which skill.

Ping the IP. Screenshot an image of several ping attempts. Upload the screenshot. Then, and only then, I'll believe you.

It's completely natural for someone from EU/Asia to have 150+ ping...

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
EtKEnn was talking 500-2000ms of lag (with the implication that it was consistent).
I get over 2000 ping (Top is 10440 ping) to EU North servers in LoL all the time during games (I live in Scandinavia aswell), too bad Minecraft doesn't have a way to check ping but my skills are often delayed by seconds i've noticed in duels and teamfights.

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
xexorian , where do you live? if you live in a city or can afford great internet, then dont be hatin on all of us people who dont live in cities or have moneys, or live in places that aren't near the server.

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
  • SheildReflect description has been improved to be more...descriptive.
  • SheildReflect
  • Sheild
    couldnt help but point this out

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
xexorian , where do you live? if you live in a city or can afford great internet, then dont be hatin on all of us people who dont live in cities or have moneys, or live in places that aren't near the server.

Yeah, I should also point out that I live in an area with generally bad connection and my family don't wanna spend too much money on better internet.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Yeah, I should also point out that I live in an area with generally bad connection and my family don't wanna spend too much money on better internet.

You could pay a monthly fee for a dedicated wifi hotspot device :) the ping on mine is MUCH better than my regular internet.