• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

New Profession [Merchant]

Diavolo1988

Legacy Supporter 6
If there previously existed no crafter classes, only fighter paths and now when professions come in the crafter classes would be "added", then this would seem absolutely normal. However, that is not how things are. There are a lot of crafters currently in the game, who rely heavily on being able to trade and have shops several places around the server. (like me) If this was added I would be forced to change my profession to merchant because the trader abilities are a lot more important than the smithing abilities that I have. Then all crafters who still wanna have shops would basically get a "/hero reset" right in our faces. That sucks and is pretty unfair. All the servers shops would also go to hell, as it would take some time getting leveled back up.

So, what I propose is that crafters get the ability to change their current experience over to the merchant profession if they like. (for instance a level 50 mason could become a lvl 50 merchant instead) This would ofcourse not be reversable. It could be a command like "/hero swaptomerchant" which swapped you to a merchant and made the experience you had in your profession get turned into merchant experience.

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Remastered Tier 2 Supporter
But what will become of non-specced crafter. They're biggest Boon was chest shop.
Crafters are being replaced with professions. Heroes was designed to force you to spec, you gain nothing from remaining at crafter. The starter paths are just that: starters to get you used to the plugin.

theonlyasianguy

Glowstone
Hmm... This is what I think might/might not happen when this new class is introduced.
-----

As stated by Kainzo above, ONLY Merchants will be able to place chest shops, which effectively means that only a specific population of players have the ability to sell/buy things. This, I THINK, will cause the general prices of items/blocks/food/whatever to INCREASE, as there will be less sellers/suppliers, which paves the way for merchants, with their newly given powers to hike up prices as a result of the plain fact that they control what can/can't be sold, and at what prices.

So this might mean that the in-game currency will be worth less as a result of this.

My logic may/may not be flawed.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Keep in mind there is nothing to prevent players from trading face-to-face. I don't think prices will jump all that much; how many players run large successful shops anyway? Not many from what I have seen.

theonlyasianguy

Glowstone
You do have a point in saying that. I did forget about the aspect of face to face transactions whilst typing up that post.

Thanks!

c12095

Holy Shit!
What about chest shops already created? Will they be destroyed?

I think there should be a grace period for all players after the releese of this class so players can remove their items from previous chest shops, unless of course they become this new class. After the free time I would say let players sort out who's a Merchant and who's still using a chest shop that shouldn't be. Unless of course there's a way to remove all chest shops that are not owned by Merchants only.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Let staff handle how we smoothly transition into any new professions - however, I do want skills you'd like to see a Merchant Class having.

Also, we still plan to keep the Crafter Path.

Valera

Diamond
Suggestions to get everyone thinking....
  • Merchants can sell tp's to zeal and their own shops but can not tp themselves (limit 1 tp per player per day)
  • Lower pricing to open chest shops for Merchants or higher pricing for Crafters
  • Can sell to DHX
  • Only merchants have access to zeal shops
  • Protect (create protection area in 6 block radius, players in area receive no damage for X seconds)

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Skill randomness
  • Sell (remove) any item in their inventory for a small amount of coin. Stack of dirt, 16 saplings, 1 axe, etc.
  • Black Market - buy (add to inventory) 1 diamond for x coin.
    • Hard to balance and affects the economy, but is just an idea.
  • Scavenge (passive) - % chance for extra loot drops from monsters
  • Trade - place item in your hand into the target player's inventory

Diavolo1988

Legacy Supporter 6
I like the idea of the sell skill for merchants, making a hard lower limit on prices. The black market thingy may go against the hardcoreness of the server though, although that might be a nice other way to balance the market of some hard to get items. (having a black market price on leather of 1c per for instance could be something)

Lastivity, I think you think that everyone still will be able to make chest shops, that's the whole point with this whole class. Now that professions come in (everyone becomes a crafter too) everyone will be able to make a chest shop, which sounds like basically too many. So merchant is proposed to limit the amount of people able to make chest shops. Having only merchants be able to access zeal shops would be weird, that would mean that zeal shops would become only for merchants trading with eachother. I think the DHX might be a nice touch, but I feel like gold trade actually should be reserved for town mayors/bankers only. It actually is too much whoring on the gold prices as it is. The TP to zeal/ones shop is a nice idea :) And protect would be cool, but it could be hard to do, since it really should be permanent so merchants can have no-pvp in their shops, but then it can be exploited I think. (by placing it somewhere else)

One thing that could be cool with the merchant class (this might be OP, just an idea) would be if they could do some of the most basic things as other crafter classes could, but for a pretty harsh price. For instance, they could be able to make [gate] or [lift], but for a 100c fee per. Perhaps they also could place pistons and repeaters (100c fee for those too). Still, perhaps this wont be needed, as everyone gets a profession and then the chance of having one of each mason and engineer nearby won't be so rare.

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
Suggestions to get everyone thinking....
  • Can sell to DHX

This shouldn't happen. It would ruin the banking system which towns rely on.
One of the major draws of towns is to be able to sell your gold for a good price since the banker can then sell for 10c each. If merchants could act as bankers, then towns would lose a source of income and one of the reasons why towns are worth having.

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
As you long you can't sell to your own chests, haha.

Diavolo1988

Legacy Supporter 6
exp for selling goods in chest shops would be very exploitable if two merchants just kept selling goods back and forth between each other.

something however, that would be very neat would be if merchants had the ability to see a log of transactions to/from their money balance. (basically see what has been traded since last time they logged on) This could also apply to sales to/from their shops.

Howdanrocks

Legacy Supporter 4
Don't like it, personally. I feel that all crafters need to be able to make chestshops. Maybe if these merchants were able to make them for free/reduced prices?

Diavolo1988

Legacy Supporter 6
Don't like it, personally. I feel that all crafters need to be able to make chestshops. Maybe if these merchants were able to make them for free/reduced prices?
Everyone will become crafters though, which makes everyone able to make chestshops. Honestly I don't think it will be any problem, but it does sound a bit bad in theory having everyone able to make a shop.