• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Let's allow griefing (hear me out!)

Should griefing becoming legal be looked into on the server?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Instead of us ranting on and on about griefing, let's presume that griefing becomes fully legal. Therefore, you could do anything you wanted to non-regioned land. :(

As stated earlier, making a rule where lava and water flows like this is illegal would solve the problem. It seems to me that everyone simply just doesn't trust the community enough not to be total pieces of shit. So it's either a) the community is full of idiots and the only thing stopping them from being monsters is the "no-griefing" rule, or b) everyone just assumes the worst and thinks that's every time they log in 150 people will be engaging in griefing antics that will turn the server into poo.

Maybe I have too much faith in mankind, but I'd assume the latter over the former.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
I posed this question yesterday in /ch tour and didn't get a response. What is stopping me from building something out in the wilderness that is 400x400x50 and a complete eyesore? Yes, it's unregioned, so it COULD be destroyed (illegal) by someone who thinks it's a menace to the server (and trust me, it would be). Yet the rules state, it must not be tampered with. Hell, after a few weeks of realizing that my large crap tower still stands, what's stopping me from making a copycat of it somewhere else in the wilderness?

Clearly, I have no intentions of doing anything like that, but if enough like-minded individuals banded together to make large, ugly builds, we would need to live with it, assuming it's not a cobble box (which isn't allowed, allegedly?). I hope at this point you see the problem. I just "claimed" 400x400x50 with 0 coins, and if someone destroys it, they're banned, no questions asked.

Discuss.

Zaspar

Legacy Supporter 2
I posed this question yesterday in /ch tour and didn't get a response. What is stopping me from building something out in the wilderness that is 400x400x50 and a complete eyesore? Yes, it's unregioned, so it COULD be destroyed (illegal) by someone who thinks it's a menace to the server (and trust me, it would be). Yet the rules state, it must not be tampered with. Hell, after a few weeks of realizing that my large crap tower still stands, what's stopping me from making a copycat of it somewhere else in the wilderness?

Clearly, I have no intentions of doing anything like that, but if enough like-minded individuals banded together to make large, ugly builds, we would need to live with it, assuming it's not a cobble box (which isn't allowed, allegedly?). I hope at this point you see the problem. I just "claimed" 400x400x50 with 0 coins, and if someone destroys it, they're banned, no questions asked.

Discuss.

The tower is most likely going to get pe'd.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team

Discuss.
Staff reserves the right to beat down people who try to side-step / toe-step rules to build stupid ugly structures, etc.
In fact, its already in the rules to not build massively ugly structures, etc.

IDK about full blown griefing, but the bullshit of removing pillars is lame as fuck.

For example, I pillared onto a towns walls. As I was leaving I began taking down the pillar and got fireballed off and died. So now I'm shit out of luck.
1) I got killed :(
2) I can't remove pillar and prolly have a strike against me in some way shape or form..
3) If I go back I will get killed again.

Frankly, if your town is pillar-able, it should be that towns responsibility to take them down. And people say "just tell them your taking the pillar down" but HC doesn't work that way. That doesn't fly for 90% of the ppl. That 90% of people end up ensuring you don't get to break the pillar so they can PE it and get another person banned.

As for breaking blocks and replacing when entering somones building, I think as long the broken block can be repicked up and placed by either party (Attacker/defender) and they replace it shouldn't be a big deal. I mean, if u engage in a fight as u pop a hole in a wall and die, **BAM** You've just been PE'd for poking a hole in a wall.
-If the block broken was a wood plank, it shouldn't matter as it doesn't change when broken
-If the block broken was Stone, it matters a bit because breaking stone results in cobble.
^^^^ or glass or something similar.
Do you know how annoying it is to destroy 20 pillers?

malmenca

Diamond
I do, and I realize it is annoying, (I had to do it while in Ironpass alot) but frankly I don't feel like a pillar made for raiding is griefing (Unless somebody is making pillars for the sole purpose of ugly-fying the place). If your town is designed in such a way that pillaring is effective in getting into the town, it probably looks like a stone box w/o a roof. Gravkoc doesn't have pillar problems, 1) because we didnt build right next to the region, and 2) We didn't build a fucking shoebox (with designs so it doesnt break kainzos ugly box rule).

donaldmax1

Soulsand
Look what skyforge left for us after there raid.
6CIMv.png

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Each and every one of you are either too lazy to read what I wrote, or don't understand a word of it. I'd be happy if this post got locked just because the vast majority of you are embarrassing yourselves.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
I'm less a month old on this server and there are a lot of things to love about it. It's also exciting to see that Kainzo is in constant pursuit to implement new ideas to evolve the server, and seemingly the community.

I was surprised to find out (given all the ruthless, albeit awesome killing that goes on in this server) that griefing was not allowed. I understand given the current system how disheartening it would be to allow griefing, since those without towns or personal protected homes would suffer. If it were the case that at any time unprotected land could be destroyed, it would encourage people to start/join a town. As for personal protected areas only being available to donors, I submit that it should be available to anyone, discounted by your donor tier, of course. This way, if you don't want naughty boys all up in your face, your options are to either join a township, or save some coins to have your own place to call home.

The part that bothers me is the wishy-washy ruling of what griefing currently is constituted as. You're allowed to build a cobble tower to scale someone's wall, but make sure you take it down or it's griefing... You're allowed to break a few blocks to get inside of a home, but you best replace each and every block, or it's griefing... The new one is that you're allowed to break crops but you have to plant them or it's griefing. Given the scenario that if I were to break 10 or so blocks to get into somebody's house and they end up killing me, am I supposed to go back to my place of death, replace those blocks, and be on my way? What then if they repeatedly kill me? Are they entitled to send a /pe request saying that I griefed their area? Excuse me for my ignorance.

If the server allowed griefing, there would likely be a wide spectrum of the type of griefers on the server. From those who will grief any and all non-protected homes, to those who will refuse to grief anything. Some will choose to only grief ugly buildings, while others will only fuel their rage to certain people. All in all, the only way of protection is, you guessed it, protection (town or personal region)... and in my opinion, that's the best way to go.

I understand that a lot of you may absolutely hate this idea, and the only way it would work would be to alter current "norms" on this server, that have likely been around for months (if not years). It's a radical idea, and may never come into fruition, but it's my 2 cents on the issue, nonetheless.

As a side note, I just read about Kainzo's karma system that is in planning mode... wouldn't it be cool if griefing gave you evil karma? Just think of the possibilities.
Look, this isn't and never will be a PvP server. This is a Hardcore PvP, PvE and Build Simulator. Many players build wondrous monuments out in the wilds to make the server look good. What kind of Build Simulator allows you to make everything look ugly?

You are just like all the other PvP factionists, you want the game to cater to you and make you have the control. This is why I am the best PvPer, I may not win all my fights, but I take enjoyment in the combat and use my restrictions to my advantage rather than asking Kain to remove them. Before you speak, do some studying and ask yourself "Am I making this to make my time better or the server's time better?"

"He who is right does not always win, it is he who overcomes all barriers that shall prevail"

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Look, this isn't and never will be a PvP server. This is a Hardcore PvP, PvE and Build Simulator. Many players build wondrous monuments out in the wilds to make the server look good. What kind of Build Simulator allows you to make everything look ugly?

You are just like all the other PvP factionists, you want the game to cater to you and make you have the control. This is why I am the best PvPer, I may not win all my fights, but I take enjoyment in the combat and use my restrictions to my advantage rather than asking Kain to remove them. Before you speak, do some studying and ask yourself "Am I making this to make my time better or the server's time better?"

"He who is right does not always win, it is he who overcomes all barriers that shall prevail"

Curious, you rated my original post as "bad spelling". I ran it through a spell-checker and it all came out clean.

Again, you're missing the point. What gives me the right to build as much as I want in the wild, as long as it's not ugly? Seems silly to me.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
Curious, you rated my original post as "bad spelling". I ran it through a spell-checker and it all came out clean.

Again, you're missing the point. What gives me the right to build as much as I want in the wild, as long as it's not ugly? Seems silly to me.
You completely missed the part about "This is a build simulator" That gives you the right, RIGHT there. Have you seen basic servers that allow grief? They have ugly terrain, loads of cobble boxes because people are afraid to build anything better and a shit ton of asshats. We have plenty of asshats already.

Also, you used bad grammar in the first paragraph, I rated your post accordingly to the best suited rating.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Then you should practice what you preach. Unles im typin' lyke dis u shuldnt b given me bad raiting, professor.

Santharix1

Wood
The PvPers all want to be catered is all I hear from the builders....yet look at you still placing walls around 99% of your towns and lowering your roof to ground level and just building the town underground so you don't have a "roof"...but yes we're catered to lol.

Kimsgrim

Legacy Supporter 5
250 people on a 2500x2500 server... This is what the entire place would look like in a couple months.

four_zps48912a69.png

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
Then you should practice what you preach. Unles im typin' lyke dis u shuldnt b given me bad raiting, professor.
Nothing is wrong in my post, other than the word "Asshat" which is slang. Stop pussyfooting around my statement, be a man and admit your faults.

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
Each and every one of you are either too lazy to read what I wrote, or don't understand a word of it. I'd be happy if this post got locked just because the vast majority of you are embarrassing yourselves.
Each and every one of us are either too lazy or don't understand a word of it eh? No, you're an idiot for making that assumption and you're the only one here embarrassing yourself.

Who doesn't understand what now?

There is a place for griefing and that is warshard. Please live on that map.
What I hope to implement? Karma

^ Second page; case was already closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.