• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Impenetrable Towns?

Do you think towns should be allowed to be Impenetrable?

• Total voters

Falker57

Legacy Supporter 8
Okay, Okay, settle down all. Please, let us look at HC history. We can learn a thing or two. I have repeated myself way to much and I am sure many disagree(including Kainzo) but I am trying to gain support and I really do hope that the community supports this. Okay so back in Zeal (my first map hehe) there were towns (at least from what I saw, yes I saw very little because I was a friggen noob) that were easily accessible. My lovely town named Skyforge was one of these towns. Skyforge, for the most part, was not a bunch that enjoyed pvp often. We had a nice looking town that we were always working on. We liked building and I spent most of my time in Skyforge remaking my crappy house over and over and over. I enjoyed it very very much. Let us remember what happened during raid in Zeal. Someone in your towns chat All caps shouts "RAIDERS". Everyone either gears up or runs with their tails between their legs. They hide in their house and wait till more information is gathered on said raiders. Then the town gathers allies if they are not strong enough to take the raiders on alone. Then everyone charges out of their houses shouting their clan's warcalls and the whole bit. The fight goes down and the amazing raiders win. The town members then....
RESPAWN AT THEIR BED Yes you read it right. The town members respawn and redraw their battle plans up and prepare for another attack. Why am I telling you what happened in a raid in zeal? I want to remind you that back when bed spawning was enabled people did not have to worry about having to buy redstone to recall or trek all the way back to their town so they were more open for invasion. This (in my opinion) is why towns have boarded themselves up. I saw this change 2 weeks after GYs were enabled in DG. Towns started getting more and more confined. Back when we were raided while we were building we would just forget about the lost mats and just go right back to building. This is all just my opinion really and I am fully aware that staff does not want this at this time. I am sorry that I had to bring the topic of bedspawning back up. I really, really believe in this issue. I think that all problems lead back to bedspawning (not ALL hehe) I just wanted to inform people of my thoughts yet again and for people who might have missed my thread giving people my opinion of bed spawning.

awsumguy75321

Obsidian
Okay, Okay, settle down all. Please, let us look at HC history. We can learn a thing or two. I have repeated myself way to much and I am sure many disagree(including Kainzo) but I am trying to gain support and I really do hope that the community supports this. Okay so back in Zeal (my first map hehe) there were towns (at least from what I saw, yes I saw very little because I was a friggen noob) that were easily accessible. My lovely town named Skyforge was one of these towns. Skyforge, for the most part, was not a bunch that enjoyed pvp often. We had a nice looking town that we were always working on. We liked building and I spent most of my time in Skyforge remaking my crappy house over and over and over. I enjoyed it very very much. Let us remember what happened during raid in Zeal. Someone in your towns chat All caps shouts "RAIDERS". Everyone either gears up or runs with their tails between their legs. They hide in their house and wait till more information is gathered on said raiders. Then the town gathers allies if they are not strong enough to take the raiders on alone. Then everyone charges out of their houses shouting their clan's warcalls and the whole bit. The fight goes down and the amazing raiders win. The town members then....
RESPAWN AT THEIR BED Yes you read it right. The town members respawn and redraw their battle plans up and prepare for another attack. Why am I telling you what happened in a raid in zeal? I want to remind you that back when bed spawning was enabled people did not have to worry about having to buy redstone to recall or trek all the way back to their town so they were more open for invasion. This (in my opinion) is why towns have boarded themselves up. I saw this change 2 weeks after GYs were enabled in DG. Towns started getting more and more confined. Back when we were raided while we were building we would just forget about the lost mats and just go right back to building. This is all just my opinion really and I am fully aware that staff does not want this at this time. I am sorry that I had to bring the topic of bedspawning back up. I really, really believe in this issue. I think that all problems lead back to bedspawning (not ALL hehe) I just wanted to inform people of my thoughts yet again and for people who might have missed my thread giving people my opinion of bed spawning.
Yes. We should re-implement bed-spawning, but they could do something like where you only bed-spawn when killed by a person and not a mob. That would keep graveyards in use and more easily defend from raiders.

I don't really see the point of towns if they can't invade and destroy each other. It's already bad enough that we can't level these places with tnt (legally), we shouldn't make it so that they can't be raided either.

Of course, if we were allowed to use tnt to blow up other people's stuff, then we could just bomb through the walls and raid them that way.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
I don't really see the point of towns if they can't invade and destroy each other. It's already bad enough that we can't level these places with tnt (legally), we shouldn't make it so that they can't be raided either.

Of course, if we were allowed to use tnt to blow up other people's stuff, then we could just bomb through the walls and raid them that way.
You just don't get it. If you can blow up towns then you don't need towns regions. The idea of towns is that people have something to work for that is difficult to obtain. There needs to be some reward for the hard work or people won't work. Minecraft players, just like people, try to find a place that is secure to come home to at night. As well as insure that what they build for themselves is not destroyed or stolen by others. That is why in real life there are banks, safe deposit boxes, alarm systems, reinforced doors, gated communities, window bars,.... the list goes on. Well, in minecraft there are town regions that let people build things that others cant destroy, and keep they're hard earned stuff safe.
there are towns that leave openings for raiders to come in, because they enjoy the experience of being raided. There are towns that do not enjoy that experience and so do not leave openings. This is as it should be. Please stop attempting to force your playing habits or world view on others.;)

You just don't get it. If you can blow up towns then you don't need towns regions. The idea of towns is that people have something to work for that is difficult to obtain. There needs to be some reward for the hard work or people won't work. Minecraft players, just like people, try to find a place that is secure to come home to at night. As well as insure that what they build for themselves is not destroyed or stolen by others. That is why in real life there are banks, safe deposit boxes, alarm systems, reinforced doors, gated communities, window bars,.... the list goes on. Well, in minecraft there are town regions that let people build things that others cant destroy, and keep they're hard earned stuff safe.
there are towns that leave openings for raiders to come in, because they enjoy the experience of being raided. There are towns that do not enjoy that experience and so do not leave openings. This is as it should be. Please stop attempting to force your playing habits or world view on others.;)

No, you just don't get it. :confused:

Towns should have some level of protection, like you can't blow them up or tear them apart by default, but there should be some mechanism to override this, like a way to formally declare war that will make both towns mutually vulnerable to each other temporarily. But the system of sporadic raiding is the closest approximation we have right now.

I'm not forcing my playing habits on you, it's a fundamental part of multiplayer games, not just minecraft. If you don't want to play the game, why do you exist in it?

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6

Towns should have some level of protection, like you can't blow them up or tear them apart by default, but there should be some mechanism to override this, like a way to formally declare war that will make both towns mutually vulnerable to each other temporarily. But the system of sporadic raiding is the closest approximation we have right now.

I'm not forcing my playing habits on you, it's a fundamental part of multiplayer games, not just minecraft. If you don't want to play the game, why do you exist in it?
Other Multi player games do not require you to build your own town. This is not those games, this is minecraft. There are minecraft servers that try to have rules like you are suggesting. They are ugly as f for the most part and they dont have player built/run towns. Herocraft is striving to be better. To use your own suggestion, if you dont like it why are you trying to exist in it? :confused:

Aundora

Legacy Supporter 8

PLEASE NO! The last server I played on had a war plugin like that and it ruined the server and ultimately ended up killing it after it had been going strong for 2 years. So no, that's a horrible idea, it just no... It does not work.

Falker57

Legacy Supporter 8
Yes. We should re-implement bed-spawning, but they could do something like where you only bed-spawn when killed by a person and not a mob. That would keep graveyards in use and more easily defend from raiders.
There are so many possibilities for bed spawning. The main issue that HC is worried about is bed camping which has happened in the past. To combat this you could spawn at a GY after x respawns in y amount of seconds. I really just want someone to tell me how bed spawning will stop people from pvping or stop people from making impenetrable towns.

Other Multi player games do not require you to build your own town. This is not those games, this is minecraft. There are minecraft servers that try to have rules like you are suggesting. They are ugly as f for the most part and they dont have player built/run towns. Herocraft is striving to be better. To use your own suggestion, if you dont like it why are you trying to exist in it? :confused:

Simple - because nothing similar to what I have suggested exists. I've looked. Herocraft seemed to be the closest approximation I could find, aside from its griefing rules.

PLEASE NO! The last server I played on had a war plugin like that and it ruined the server and ultimately ended up killing it after it had been going strong for 2 years. So no, that's a horrible idea, it just no... It does not work.

Ruined the server? How did that happen? Aside from the fact that no such plugin exists (unless it was discontinued long before I began looking at plugins), I don't see how such a feature would ruin any server.

At any rate, the point remains: What's the purpose of having towns that can't engage in warfare?

PhantomWarriorA

ICE ICE ICE!
I say towns should have limited warfare. Not all out blow up the town warfare, but a system that lets you destroy some things and not others. It should also limit it by making it only Good vs Evil and Evil vs Neutral because of the definitions of the alignments, found here: http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/threads/township-page-requirements-tax-information.23457/
that's a good idea but i think evil should also be able to attack other evil towns because evil towns can kill anyone they want.

I say towns should have limited warfare. Not all out blow up the town warfare, but a system that lets you destroy some things and not others. It should also limit it by making it only Good vs Evil and Evil vs Neutral because of the definitions of the alignments, found here: http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/threads/township-page-requirements-tax-information.23457/

Yeah, something like that. I'd only want to see the town leveled to the ground if they lost horribly enough to deserve it.

Although I'd go with PhandomWarriorA's suggestion of having Evil be able to attack anyone. I do like your idea of bringing alignments into it, though. Players who want relatively war-free towns can make Good/Neutral towns, so that they only have to worry about Evil towns attacking them.

teddytazer

Soulsand
My town is open to the public. but.. each person in my town has a house that is protected. My point is why do u feel the need to make glass roofs, obsidian walls 100 high, etc. Not only does it discourage contact with other towns it's ugly.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
My town is open to the public. but.. each person in my town has a house that is protected. My point is why do u feel the need to make glass roofs, obsidian walls 100 high, etc. Not only does it discourage contact with other towns it's ugly.
Because keeping a little bit of protection makes the random raiders who walks around in this world unable to simply walk in. Once they see that getting in is quitea challenge and will take time, they often move on and forget about that one town. However I don't get why every damn city on HC except a few, has gigantic walls and a roof above the town. It looks like shit and raiders will find a way inside anyway.

Walls = Okay
Gigantic 30-80 blocks tall walls = Shit
Roofs = Shittiest thing ever.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6

Because keeping a little bit of protection makes the random raiders who walks around in this world unable to simply walk in. Once they see that getting in is quitea challenge and will take time, they often move on and forget about that one town. However I don't get why every damn city on HC except a few, has gigantic walls and a roof above the town. It looks like shit and raiders will find a way inside anyway.

Walls = Okay
Gigantic 30-80 blocks tall walls = Shit
Roofs = Shittiest thing ever.
Looks Like we have found something that we can all agree on. Ultra high walls and roofs are ugly.

jazza411

Legacy Supporter 3
The worst thing is when people run to the GY's (I have done it as well) to get rid of the attacker.

awsumguy75321

Obsidian
that's a good idea but i think evil should also be able to attack other evil towns because evil towns can kill anyone they want.
Yeah, something like that. I'd only want to see the town leveled to the ground if they lost horribly enough to deserve it.

Although I'd go with PhandomWarriorA's suggestion of having Evil be able to attack anyone. I do like your idea of bringing alignments into it, though. Players who want relatively war-free towns can make Good/Neutral towns, so that they only have to worry about Evil towns attacking them.
I for got to add Evil vs Evil.

ikill4candy

Legacy Supporter 3

The reason alot of towns build impenitrable bases rather than lots of impenitrible houses is to stop campers and groups of aoe classes from sitting on your roof spamming pulse/similar abilities.

teddytazer

Soulsand
The reason alot of towns build impenitrable bases rather than lots of impenitrible houses is to stop campers and groups of aoe classes from sitting on your roof spamming pulse/similar abilities.

Want to know an even easier way to be safe.. Live in spawn plot where theres no pvp.. instead of building your fugly town.