• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion HeroFactions - Basic Heroes and Factions Server.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Instead of LWC, could use /enderchest to access it from anywhere. That's a better example that doesn't change gameplay necessarily, but is convenient and something people would pay to have.
No. Atleast with an lwc it's just a totally safe protection they can't get anywhere on the map. Backpacks are fine, but this enderchest thing is not even close.

Lordofon

Glowing Redstone
so ehhh, are we gonna have perm tnt? some tnt regen if so? are all the days WAR day???? geez dood

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
No. Atleast with an lwc it's just a totally safe protection they can't get anywhere on the map. Backpacks are fine, but this enderchest thing is not even close.
"totally safe" doesnt make sense with a fluid pvp server, you should be able to lose everything. If there is Locks, there will be lockpicks,.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
"totally safe" doesnt make sense with a fluid pvp server, you should be able to lose everything. If there is Locks, there will be lockpicks,.
I think he meant an LWC that has to be placed is better than an enderchest you can access anywhere.

Egorh

Outcast
Legacy Supporter 7
I am personally a fan of the only true protection you get is an ender chest. Back in all the other maps I always had 6+ LWC's full of valuables. An enderchest is only 3 rows of space which will become full very fast if we look back on previous gameplay. Only way to get around this little amount of protection would be to use an alt account (breaking the rules). If people are worried about how you can access enderchests anywhere you could probably make it so you can only open enderchests inside your own territory. This is just what I would personally prefer but I am also fine with 0 chest protection, it'll liven things up

joshtsai

Legacy Supporter 2
I haven't play factions in about 3 years so my memories of it are shaky but, respawn points. Beds? Graveyards? Respawn at faction home?

Which option would be best?

Egorh

Outcast
Legacy Supporter 7
I haven't play factions in about 3 years so my memories of it are shaky but, respawn points. Beds? Graveyards? Respawn at faction home?

I'd prefer bed spawns.

Graveyards can be helpful in PvP but more often or not (to me at least) they are annoying. Gotta buy redstone to recall. No money? Gotta walk couple thousand blocks. Graveyards also add more no-pvp zones people can try to run to (which leads to the good ol' border hopping).

I know my reason is kinda stretching it because those are quite small problems but a lot of the small stuff we may end up ignoring now will add up. Making the changes where we can will hopefully result in a better outcome

*Edit
Just saw Irish's post, he's got a good point

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7

Graveyards. If we are raiding and kill a bunch of kids, they could just spawn right in front of us with beds/f home. Graveyards would be best.

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
Most servers when you die, tp back to spawn.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Another thing that I thought about today was healing. I haven't been able to PVP much in groups with healers, but I think allowing heals and only heals to be name bound would be good for factions. It would simplify healing with macros for new players so they will have a much more even playing field with veteran players.

@Balance Team @Kainzo

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Class System - WIP

A horizontal class system, no super specializations, every class is on the same "power" level, no matter its cost or required mastery of other classes.

Below is a first draft of the SIMPLE but EXPANSIVE class system. Note that classes are unlocked by using the fast leveling system and some classes will be released in patches so it gives players time to master.
9x1k21T.png

The goal is to release classes and balance them on a schedule. There will be no specializations, users will go from Lost Soul and choose BER / NIN / ARC / CLR / WIZ ---- from there once patch 1 is released, they will be able to start weaving classes (mastering a class to become another class)

Class swap costs will be greatly reduced (100c) (you get 25-50c to vote per day)
Faster leveling will make this more desirable
Will give users a feeling of completion when becoming classes that require other classes to master.
We will be able to bring out more classes that dont follow the whole "path system" like in survival rpg.

This is not a final print and is considered a rough draft of the system, each class would be limited to 8-10 skills.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Class System - WIP

A horizontal class system, no super specializations, every class is on the same "power" level, no matter its cost or required mastery of other classes.

Below is a first draft of the SIMPLE but EXPANSIVE class system. Note that classes are unlocked by using the fast leveling system and some classes will be released in patches so it gives players time to master.
9x1k21T.png

The goal is to release classes and balance them on a schedule. There will be no specializations, users will go from Lost Soul and choose BER / NIN / ARC / CLR / WIZ ---- from there once patch 1 is released, they will be able to start weaving classes (mastering a class to become another class)

Class swap costs will be greatly reduced (100c) (you get 25-50c to vote per day)
Will give users a feeling of completion when becoming classes that require other classes to master.
We will be able to bring out more classes that dont follow the whole "path system" like in survival rpg.

This is not a final print and is considered a rough draft of the system, each class would be limited to 8-10 skills.
So, to make sure my tired school brain understands this:
We start at lost soul and get to choose one of the release classed.
When patch 2 comes out, if we mastered the Required classes, we can then choose a Patch 1 class.

Ex:
I start as a Wiz.
Patch 1 comes out, I can now go Necro, but NOT Druid, since I didn't master Cleric.

And this continues down the line.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
So, to make sure my tired school brain understands this:
We start at lost soul and get to choose one of the release classed.
When patch 2 comes out, if we mastered the Required classes, we can then choose a Patch 1 class.

Ex:
I start as a Wiz.
Patch 1 comes out, I can now go Necro, but NOT Druid, since I didn't master Cleric.

And this continues down the line.
Yes, also each class will have a kit that can be re-used every day.

Egorh

Outcast
Legacy Supporter 7
@Kainzo

Don't see the point in limiting classes to 5 at the start of the release. Does not add much variety to choose from. You shouldn't be re-releasing classes that are already existing. I understand that you want everything to be balanced but it is better to throw all the classes in at the same time. You can do a certain amount of balancing in a test server with less than 10 people but you wont know if it is really balanced or not. When there are 100+ people constantly playing with classes they give the needed feedback.

Whats with having to master other classes to play the class you want? That is a PvE aspect that belongs more on the survival server than the factions server. I personally don't feel like mastering X amount of classes just so I can get to the one I want while some people might be very content in just mastering one of the release classes.

With the patches you said that it is also meant to give time to people to master the release classes. Is that really needed if your plan is to have faster leveling? If you keep the requirements of mastering to play the other classes there is also no reason to have patches. If I master a class and want to move on to the 'next' one and I can't simply because it hasn't been released I'll be pretty salty

The "feeling of completion"...Another thing for PvE'ers I think. You will end up leveling just as much as you do to master a T2 to get the classes you want to play.

You are trying to complicate a system that people would rather have clear cut. Choose a class, level that class, be done; nothing more. Repeat for the other classes you wish to play.

This system belongs in RPG survival, not factions

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
@Kainzo

Don't see the point in limiting classes to 5 at the start of the release. Does not add much variety to choose from. You shouldn't be re-releasing classes that are already existing. I understand that you want everything to be balanced but it is better to throw all the classes in at the same time. You can do a certain amount of balancing in a test server with less than 10 people but you wont know if it is really balanced or not. When there are 100+ people constantly playing with classes they give the needed feedback.

Whats with having to master other classes to play the class you want? That is a PvE aspect that belongs more on the survival server than the factions server. I personally don't feel like mastering X amount of classes just so I can get to the one I want while some people might be very content in just mastering one of the release classes.

With the patches you said that it is also meant to give time to people to master the release classes. Is that really needed if your plan is to have faster leveling? If you keep the requirements of mastering to play the other classes there is also no reason to have patches. If I master a class and want to move on to the 'next' one and I can't simply because it hasn't been released I'll be pretty salty

The "feeling of completion"...Another thing for PvE'ers I think. You will end up leveling just as much as you do to master a T2 to get the classes you want to play.

You are trying to complicate a system that people would rather have clear cut. Choose a class, level that class, be done; nothing more. Repeat for the other classes you wish to play.

This system belongs in RPG survival, not factions
This isnt a super heavy rpg aspect. The server is still light-rpg, meaning it will have rpg-like systems in it, namely the class system. The items obtained, the setup of the currency and so forth will be drastically reduced in the "rpg" side of things, more simple. The class system, however, is our bread and butter, something that will set us apart from other faction-isque servers.

My other thought is to just release with 5 classes and that's it.
I also didn't specify the release rate of the patches, it could be days, weeks or months - depending on some of the re-codes of skills.

I stated the leveling system was much faster 8-10 times faster to get from 1-60 in the current survival rpg server.

Feeling of completion is not limited to a play-style, this may be something you personally feel isnt your play-style, however.

I personally limited the required classes of any class to 3. Meaning you'll have to master max of THREE classes to get to the class you want to PVP with, while not being any less weak or under-powered than the other players because all classes are lateral jumps not vertical.

Last edited:
i haven't read through this whole thread, so i apologize if this has been said, but what if you leveled by doing factiony things? What i mean is, as a leveling system, have people gain exp by making tnt, or killing people, or even (f it's possible to code) getting xp passively by having a strong sword (ex sharpness 4)/god apple (?) in your inventory while in the wild, where you're able to be attacked (assuming there is a spawn area wtih no PvP), plus you could get fairly large amounts from killing people, maybe 2% of your level if they have unenchanted iron on, 5% with diamond, etc, etc. It's just a basic idea, so if you don't like it, please explain why.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
Class System - WIP

9x1k21T.png

At first I wanted to go along with this, but after some further thought I don't think this is the way to go. When people wanted a "simple yet expansive" system, I think the simplified part means no more tier two classes or legendaries. I think the class/combat system is already pretty expansive, and can probably be daunting for new players if not seasoned veterans. I think we just need to have all classes available to choose from directly on release, no leveling other classes required.

If I were someone who left herocraft due to the lack of pvp and I came back with a hope of fluid pvp again just to have to level 1-3 classes just to play the class I enjoyed the most, I would probably leave again. The same probably goes for new players. Many people interested in the factions brand aren't interested in the long grind. I'm hoping we can attract some newer players that want the factions experience with a twist, a diverse combat system that we know and love today.

Overall, I agree with @Egorb and think this would be taking 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Egorh

Outcast
Legacy Supporter 7
This isnt a super heavy rpg aspect. The server is still light-rpg, meaning it will have rpg-like systems in it, namely the class system. The items obtained, the setup of the currency and so forth will be drastically reduced in the "rpg" side of things, more simple. The class system, however, is our bread and butter, something that will set us apart from other faction-isque servers.

My other thought is to just release with 5 classes and that's it.
I also didn't specify the release rate of the patches, it could be days, weeks or months - depending on some of the re-codes of skills.

I stated the leveling system was much faster 8-10 times faster to get from 1-60 in the current survival rpg server.

Feeling of completion is not limited to a play-style, this may be something you personally feel isnt your play-style, however.

I personally limited the required classes of any class to 3. Meaning you'll have to master max of THREE classes to get to the class you want to PVP with, while not being any less weak or under-powered than the other players because all classes are lateral jumps not vertical.
The leveling is something people can deal with but I think the patches will drive away a lot of the old players, perhaps some new players too. Not being able to actually play the class you want to play because it is not 'released' yet is a real killer. Especially for those who know the content exists but you are holding it back. If you are wanting to recode a lot of skills and do reworks those can be done while those classes are live. Similar to what I said about its easier to balance things when 100+ people are constantly playing. It will help let you know what exactly needs new code, changes, complete reworks, etc.

*Edit
Especially if the class you want to play is in patch 3 and patch 1 hasn't been released 1 month into the map. People will only wait for so long

FaZeAlpine

ICE ICE ICE!
Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like there's a bit of misunderstanding about the proposed Factions server and the Factions server that everyone else like Egorb, Munch, Irish, etc are thinking about resulting in the kerfuffle above ^. I feel that Kain, I, and others have thought of this moreso as an actual Factions server dumbed down with light RPG aspects for flavor. Whereas the Factions server that many of the pvpers are hyping themselves up for is actually just the regular survival server minus the changes implemented after haven, and the replacement of towny with factions as a land protection plugin.

Last edited: