• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

DDOS

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
TS3 = ts3.herocraftonline.com

I didn't want to announce this because I thought it was a "oh this guy is pissed" thing. Apparently CraftLandia is known in Brazil for ddosing servers until they stop hosting a server because they want to be the #1 server in the world.

Herocraft has been target'd because we wouldnt push out Herochat 1.3 fast enough. The user Spunkiie, aka the owner of CraftLandia has said he will not stop DDOS'ing Herocraft until we are a less than 10 person server.

I have brought this to the attention of the developers and the community of Bukkit and they have all been very caring about what has been going on. The response from the Bukkit community has erected a large ddos against their servers - after they tucked their tail - they stopped the DDOS last night.

Today, Evilseph (Mojang/Bukkit Lead), has removed all names / information that CraftLandia is behind this because "they dont want to be involved" so CraftLandia / Spunkiie have resumed ddosing our services.

I am working as quickly as I can on a solution. This means we will be increasing costs by 5 to 10 times the normal rate. I will be working on getting us virtually impossible to DDOS internet (1000Mbps instead of 100 Mbps)
Cost for 1000Mbps = an extra $450 a month
Cost for anti-ddos = (if offered) $150-300 a month.

I don't like leaving you in the dark here. I want to let you know whats going on. Thank you for your patience in these times. I am quite unhappy by the outcome of this and will fight tooth and nail with every dollar Herocraft has to keep us up and thwart these injustices.

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/treat-plugin-devs-better.91128

Well, I thought it was something just childish, because we wouldn't 'jump' to one person's whiney attitude fast enough. This person [spunkiie, admin of CraftLandia] is now targetting our users and our main server (Herocraft).

The user in question admits to ddosing our services and laughs about it.
Is the combined log of all that was said/done - the previous thread we created was set to private and locked.
More info of the user - IRC chat logs..
Emails of him being "superior" over other wanna-be server owners/devs
Pm of one of the "admins" inviting me to their team 6+ months ago
Random users offering help in any way to stop this tyrant.
We are a non-profit organization and a non-profit development team. We don't have a lot of cash to fling around for anti-ddos protection and we can't develop anything if our build servers / test servers are offline.

We believe hes running a Slow Iris attack, it's not a massive DDOS but its enough to steadily knock out our services every 5-10mins to create chaos in the userbase.
the user in question is "Spunkiie" from CraftLandia.com.br

viasite internet
their NIC is VIA125

HeX7

Obsidian
What a pathetic little shit. Taking out competition to be #1. What a total (Excuse my crude language) cuntflap. I've read the emails and other snippits of information, and what I can deduct by him attempting to use "Big words" is that hes a imbecile with little brain power and a botnet.

Hopefully we can get clear of this shitstorm and move along.

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
Someone should go stab the DDOSer in the back with the knife of justice. Tardiness like that isnt acceptable!

Joka10

Soulsand
I dunno how a server that no one I know has ever even heard of could possibly hope to be number one... even if they destroy all competition...

It's too bad, really, because somebody able to do a major attack like this probably has the ability to actually make a server worth playing, but is wasting it on merely destroying others.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Wow, this is just sad.

The question in my mind is why they want to be number one? I'm guessing it's because of money. Greedy fuckers.

rfgordan

ICE ICE ICE!
reading the locked thread on the bukkit forums pissed me off so much, especially evilseph's bullshit about "two sides to the story".

One thing i still cant understand: is he DDos'ing the servers for not releasing the plugin (which is retarded because he has halted development of said plugin) or cause he thinks we have some Brazilian members and are challenging his monopoly of sorts?

MajorasMask

Ungodly
In all fairness I tried to access the CraftLandia forums, it just 404'd on me. I also tried the MineStatus vote page, and they have one vote. I searched for their forums there and it also 404'd me. Am I missing something? I want to see how shit there server is, having to attack others to gain ahead! :p

Stay strong, Kainzo. CraftLandia has had a reputation of doing bad shit to everyone since, like, half a year ago maybe?

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
You have to trace the IP address to their internet provider of the Craftlandia servers and give them a call. You can probably find the business name and then look up a brazilian phone book records of the company name if the reverse DNS phone number/contact information is out of date.

You can also contact your local authorities and work with them providing them this information so they can call and report them to international authorities for justice. This is usually a fast process the more you know.

I've been through it a couple times and it's only a 1-2 day thing if you know what to do and who to contact. As well as the source of the attack.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
They will usually force their ISP to stop hosting their servers and then their government can actually step in if it's a big enough DDoS to warrant it. Usually something around $10,000 in damage will make federal government step in.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
The real problem with this is, unless you stick the guy in jail, he can just find a new host and then continue seeking you out with ddos attacks. It's a real pain. But multiple attacks like THAT, actually the FBI will help you with, or should... coming from what I know.

My ISP used to do 56k dialup hosting and we were hit by a distributed botnet like attack within the network, which then proceeded to ddos our modems on the 3 DS1 lines we had at the time. They replaced all the index.html's or w/e with russian websites for all the old domain names. We were able to restore the servers pretty easily once we found the problem, and the FBI walked us through how to setup a blacklist for that range of IP addresses. (all of russia). Because we weren't interested in selling 56k dialup to russia from Georgia, here in the USA. LOL. Anyway, the FBI eventually helped us further and they tracked the guy down and put him in jail for 20 something years. It ended up being some 15 year old kid running out of internet cafes in russia doing it for money, paid by some advertisement company, which was widely known for hiring lucrative business like that to promote websites, they were shutdown after the attack we had and they got fined huge fees. Something like $500,000.

SonOfAGunner

Ungodly
$450 EXTRA per month? Holy poopy.

If more people know about this, I doubt anyone would want to play on their server. Now, I'm not saying go outside and yell, "CRAFTLANDIA IS DDOSING MEEEEEE. BOYCOTT 'EM." But I'm just sayin', NORMAL PEOPLE would not want to play on a server that took out it's competitors. It's called having class. Either way, thank you for at least letting all of us know, Kainzo. Those pooper scoopers will get what they deserve soon enough.
One last thing... HEY. HEY YOU. YEAH. YOU. DONATE TO HEROCRAFT. WOOOOOOOOOOO!