• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Bows.

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
People who should have bows: Rangers, Beastmasters, and Maybe, MAYBE Samurai (but probably not.)

People who shouldn't: Anyone else, ever.

Plob5

Legacy Supporter 2
Thats true I just am trying to find something for Bloodmages When you brought this up about bows I just wanted to put it out there

whitemagehealu

Legacy Supporter 7
What "posts" ?

What I mean by charge is sprint and attack. Samurai have Iron, Boots and Helmet and Chainmail they can wear and they have Bladegrasp to defend themselves. So its more than "8hp". Rangers need to interact with close range sometimes because they don't have the skill "root" yet.

Okay, the Rangers don't have root yet... Samurai doesn't have Bladegrasp yet. Samurai need to use range because they can't 'defend' themselves with the 'almighty' bladegrasp. Also, Samurai only gets iron boots. Rangers get iron helmets and full chainmail. Not much is dfferent from Samurai and Ranger stat wise except for the little variation in hp. Oh and the massive 25 damage you get from arrows....

GreekCrackShot

Legacy Supporter 7
I think rangers are OP. at least the ones that I have fought. Maybe it's just the fact all rangers I face seem to hug no-pvp regions, but for the most part, 25 dmg just seems a little much to me.

I would love for samurai to have bow, low dmg of course, maybe like 10-15 at the most. Ninja, I'm not sure, I kind of picture ninja to be more of a stealth/agile/quick class. Bow could work for it, maybe for assassination type situations, but maybe instead of bows, ninjas get quicken? seems like a logical skill for ninjas. Bards I guess makes sense for bows

agentjwall

Godly
I understand the historical validity of samurai using bows but It seems to go against the Warrior path. The warrior path is based on sword fighting and CQC while the rogue class focuses on stealth and indirect combat. When you think about it Ranger BM and Bard are the only classes that have the bow. That's 3/4 rouge classes and Ninja has been debated here as another possible addition. With all of this it seems strange to tack on a warrior class when every other bow-class is rouge based. As Kainzo said, Casters don't get bows because they are 'caster' classes, so it seems logical that rogues, the indirect-combat path, should have bows exclusively.

IDK, still not entirely opposed but that's my reasoning...

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I understand the historical validity of samurai using bows but It seems to go against the Warrior path. The warrior path is based on sword fighting and CQC while the rogue class focuses on stealth and indirect combat. When you think about it Ranger BM and Bard are the only classes that have the bow. That's 3/4 rouge classes and Ninja has been debated here as another possible addition. With all of this it seems strange to tack on a warrior class when every other bow-class is rouge based. As Kainzo said, Casters don't get bows because they are 'caster' classes, so it seems logical that rogues, the indirect-combat class, should have bows exclusively.

IDK, still not entirely opposed but that's my reasoning...
I see where you're coming from, but excluding any one class from being improved just because "that's not how it's supposed to work" is a good way to get tired, overused ideas. It's always good to consider different options.
I'd give Samurai bows before Ninja, at any rate.

agentjwall

Godly
I see where you're coming from, but excluding any one class from being improved just because "that's not how it's supposed to work" is a good way to get tired, overused ideas. It's always good to consider different options.
I'd give Samurai bows before Ninja, at any rate.

Ah, you make an excellent point...

After re-evaluating my opinions I've decided that it would be beneficial for samurai to have bows. Furthermore, ninjas should probably get mobility-based skills instead of a bow. Not only does this set up make it historically correct, but it adds a little more variety to the game too.

ADaringEnchilada

Legacy Supporter 4
Really, if a ninja used a bow it would be a short bow with low tension, because they weren't meant to be mobile classes. Samurai were typically heavily armed and they adept with the use of the bow. Giving them a bow wouldn't over power them as they'd get no skills and low damage while using it. Similarly, samurai class also had star shortly after ninja got it.

GraRona

Portal
Crafters cannot have bows because they are not a PvP class. The coders gave them high armor to defend themselves. Samurais aren't even a Ranged Class, they are a melee class. If they are a Melee and a Ranged class, both of there sword and bow should have a low dmg.

So if samurais are going to become a melee/ranged class, you say their sword AND bow should have low damage? Wait a second.... Reducing samurai's sword from 10 to 9 or even 8 and then having their bow at 8?

What about rangers who have 25 dmg bows and 8 axes?

Giving samurais bows but not ninjas doesn't make much sense. Ninjas are supposed to be light weight high damage fighters, using a bow would help balance the gap between high HP and armored classes. It would in no way make them OP seeing as they lack almost almost any defenses. I am somewhat against samurais getting bows, simply because they are already an extremly powerful class with both high damage and decent armor and HP, so adding to is seems pointless. But I am open to reasons why they should get it.

GraRona

Portal
Giving samurais bows but not ninjas doesn't make much sense. Ninjas are supposed to be light weight high damage fighters, using a bow would help balance the gap between high HP and armored classes. It would in no way make them OP seeing as they lack almost almost any defenses. I am somewhat against samurais getting bows, simply because they are already an extremly powerful class with both high damage and decent armor and HP, so adding to is seems pointless. But I am open to reasons why they should get it.

1. Ninjas are lightweight so they can't afford to carry an extra weapon
2. A skilled ninja would blackjack/assassins blade their sword before sneaking up with back stab. After that, they can follow up with a silence. By this time their mana is pretty low but they can get a few good hits on before the silence wears off.
3. Ninja vs. Ranger in an open environment. Ranger uses root, Ninja replies with confuse. Ranger teleports around randomly and if they are lucky will get a firearrow off on the Ninja. Ninja is unrooted and replies with a blackjack/a-blade/sneak/backstab/silence combo all the while sprinting in a zigzag/unpredictable pattern to avoid getting hit from an arrow. If the ninja does get hit, he probably will lose the fight. If he doesn't he will win. In this matchup, the ranger has to be pretty skilled to win the fight.
4. Adding bows to this combo would be OP. First firing off a few arrows and when the victim turns to flee, you can use the blackjack/a-blade/sneak/backstab/silence combo. Taking scenario #3 into consideration, the ninja could fire a few arrows while rooted and then after that confuse the ranger. Since bows do not use any mana, the ninja can use the blackjack/a-blade/sneak/backstab/silence combo and finish off the ranger.

agentjwall

Godly
Ninjas are supposed to be light weight high damage fighters, using a bow would help balance the gap between high HP and armored classes.

I disagree, Ninjas are supposed to be light stealth/indirect attack fighters, not high damage. As a ninja class you're supposed to use surprise attacks, tricks, and mobility to avoid taking damage while attacking. High Damage isn't the way rogue classes work, and they're supposed to be "weaker" in a straight out fight...

Neotetro

Legacy Supporter 3
As a master ninja I'm happy without a bow. However, perhaps we could bring back the "star" skill where we throw snowballs for maybe 3 damage each or something.

Diffuse

Legacy Supporter 4
It makes sense for samurai to have them (from a lore perspective less than a balance one). As far as rangers complaining I don't understand the argument. You should have a bow because you are primarily long range AND an axe because you occasionally have to melee fight, but melee specs should get a sword because they are primarily melee but should not be getting a bow although they occasionally are forced to be at range?

ruethian

Legacy Supporter 6
considering current glitches with bows i don't c where this OP bow stuff comes in. but the only class I could c getting a bow is samarai as long as its lower damage. and to those number disputes a saw earlier on a ranger: bow > axe so bow is stronger and on a samarai: sword > bow so sword is the stronger, nerfing sword damage to add a bow is pointless.

I don't c bards as using bows. I just dont c someone shooting an arrow off their lute.

JZillifro

Soulsand
I think a low damage bow would be a really cool thing for samurais. I also doubt a low powered bow would make samurai OP

Ranger: 8 damage axes, 25 damage bows(20 after patch)

Samurai: 1o damage swords, 8 damage bows

If the above idea was implemented I don't think samurai would be OP, in comparison of course(not to mention samurai has a whopping 5 health more then ranger and iron boots as the only piece of armor that differs). Then again I'm only making one comparison and have not put in mind the fate of the other classes if samurai were to get the bow.

I'd like to see a non-rogue class get bows as well. I feel since Samurai's don't have very many skills it would be a nice addition.