• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Arma 2 Combined Ops - Dayz Mod

Plasma78

Legacy Supporter 7
Plamsa You have no clue what you are talking about. Arma 2 on the highest setting beats BF3 and MW3 or any top selling FPS any day in graphics. and keep in mind this is not even a game, But a Simulator that sticks to realism and not n-scope 360 bullshit.

uh yeah i do, i dont do the whole no scope thing lol im old man. :)

i got battlefield 1942 when it was NEW.

there was a really old game online, ww2 sim you paid $15 for game and it was real time. you choose a side german or allied and you got 'orders'. server ran 24/7 and had daytime nighttime cycles. was very fun to play in large groups, one weekend we parachuted into france and over tooka small village. was very awesome.

now to the point:

the requirements for amra 2

ARMA 2 Minimum System Requirements
  • Processor: Dual Core CPU for Intel or AMD
  • Memory/RAM: 1 GB
  • Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 or faster with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM
  • Hard Disk Space: 10 GB
  • Operating System: Windows XP or Windows Vista
ARMA 2 Recommended System Requirements
  • Processor: Fast Dual Core CPU or Quad Core
  • Memory/RAM: 2 GB
  • Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 8800GT or ATI Radeon 4850 or faster with Shader Model 3 and 512MB or more VRAM
  • Hard Disk Space: 10 GB
  • Operating System: Windows XP or Windows Vista
is that all?? hmmmmm

Minimum requirements for Battlefield 3 --
  • Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Althon X2 2.7 GHz
  • RAM: 2GB
  • Graphic card: DirectX 10 or 11 compatible Nvidia or AMD ATI card, ATI Radeon 3870 or higher, Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT or higher.
  • Graphics card memory: 512 MB
  • Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card
  • Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version
Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3
  • Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950.
  • Graphics card memory: 1 GB
  • Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card
  • Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version
so it would seem, laughable....
secondary its massive its bout all its got, the ai is buggy and its crazy priced for an older game
Arma 2 was released in June and July 2009 - still cost $40

what else came out in 2009?

Halo 3: ODST - $19 new or way cheap used.
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 - $10 new or used varies slightly on console/pc
and my fav..
Left 4Dead 2 - $19 half the price of Arma and has quadruple the enemy AI amra 2 has.

Arma 2 might be a sim, but its a unpolished sim, that is in desperate need of work.
Ask anyone tha has played them both or any amount of games. which is prettier?
i can bet 98% will say battlfield 3 on highest settings will waste any game currently out. Crysis still holds high regards for breaking that barrier.

Amazon ratings:
Arma 2 - 3.5 stars
Bf3 - 3.7 stars
call of duty mw 3 - 3.3 stars

hmmmmmmm so that puts it where?? :)

we could go simulation, lets drag americas army into this.... :)
its very outdated and only reason its still kicking round is because of mods like dayz.
Now another game that comes to mind that blew that game outta the water, for me and alot of gamers...

operation joint operation

google is your friend.

Overall, Arma 2 needs work, only reason its come to light is cause of the mod days, with that said, i like to get value for my game, not pay $60 and cant have at least some good replay value.

Everyone is entitled to there opinions of games. :)

Jorict

Legacy Supporter 7
Hey guys, I haven't been on.. at all, but I've been playing ARMA 2 and the DayZ mod.

DayZ is an open work (mmo?) zombie survival mod. There are few rules other than no hacking, racism, etc. Servers are typically around 50-60 players strong, on a 225 km^2 piece of land.

There is open world PvP, and it's basically a free for all, but of course you can join up with your friends to survive. There is a hunger system, requiring you to eat every so often (it take's about an hour and a half to go from full to starving while standing still, and it goes fast while moving), a thirst system (similar to hunger but slightly fast while moving), and temperature (which only affects you being able to get sick or not, which just basically reduces your hp until cured, you can also infect your friends if their temperature is low and you get too close).

There is also bleeding, bone breaking, and passing out, depending on what kind of damage you take and how. Bleeding can be fixed with bandages, and you can get your blood (HP) back by eating, or having a friend give you blood from a blood bag.

You can find random loot throughout the area inside towns, settlements, outhouses, military bases, and helicopter crash sites. The loot is random, and each item (weapons, equipment, supplies) have different spawn rates. Weapons and equipment such as Night Vision Goggles and Light Machine Guns have a higher chance of appearing in military bases.

After getting armed to the teeth with weapons and other high valued equipment, you may wonder what to do other than just aimlessly slay noobs from a far distance, and laugh as they scream in chat about how they were "friendlies". BUT, that's not all you can do. With a group (it's possible to do it solo, but takes far longer), you can work together to repair broken vehicles found in towns. Once repaired, you can ride around, attempting to find even better loot, or work even harder at repairing your own helicopter. I don't know the exact numbers of repairable helicopters throughout the land, but there is only a handful, and it shows a lot of dedication and power to have one. They have side-door machine guns, and are the fastest and most efficient way of travel.

After getting your helicopter, if you're tired of getting shot at numerous times while trying to go into town to get food, worry no more, because you can actually hunt. Hunting is a major boost to your characters life span (how long you go without dying, as you lose everything on death), and allows you to safely get food.

I know I didn't cover everything, but the DayZ Mod alone makes ARMA 2: Combined Operations worth the $29.99 on Steam. If anyone cares to join a couple of friends and I in surviving, we'd love to have you.

You can find the mod at: http://www.dayzmod.com/

Galaxial

Legacy Supporter 4
Sounds like an amazing Mod/Game :) Never actually heard of the game myself, but I'll have to check it out and watch some trailers, this whole survival idea and the idea behind surviving with friends with vehicles sounds insane!
-Galaxial

Jorict

Legacy Supporter 7
If you do happen to get it, you're free to group up with my friends and I. Always good to have another trustworthy player!

HeX7

Obsidian
I bought the game a while back, spent a goos £24.50 on it.
Completly worth it, it's awesome.
I play with around a team of 12 mates over on my local Ts3 channel, it's great fun.
The only downside is that I have to run it on low settings otherwise it lags a bit.
I would not suggest for you to play it if either:
A.) You have no time, it's a very time worthy game.
B.) You have a fairly shitty computer. It's fairly computer intensive.

Galaxial

Legacy Supporter 4
Only thing I'd be worried about is that I'd be spending, like you said, £24.50 on a game that's 3 years old.. wouldn't want to go fork out that and no one plays on it much.
Is it an active community? I could easily spend hours and hours on this game if I was in a good dedicated group in a popular server, more players the better in my opinion

HeX7

Obsidian
Hmmf, Galaxial, to some £24.50 or whatever is a fair amount of money.
The community is rather great, there are around maybe 40+ Servers (DayZ Mod dedicated) With 50/50 players in pretty much constantly.
Some members whilst playing are arseholes and will steal your items/body, but forget those.
Gather a few mates who have this game and just have a blast in your own time. The great thing about this game is that you HAVE to work together to play well, it's a lot of fun.
As I suggested in-game (As I have seen your Rig...LOL)
Head towards : Www.CanIRunThis.com
See if you can run it, then download the demo and try it.
It's only worth buying if you have time and friends to play with, otherwise it just stays in your steam lonely and untouched.
I suggest getting ARMA II Combined operations (Combined in necessary) on STEAM as it is much more convenient.

But yeah. I think it's worth it. Just have fun with it ;D
Enjoy, hope this helps!

Jorict

Legacy Supporter 7
Its has been done -HERE-
Rather than commandeering my thread with an old thread, you could have just said that you played also.

On another note, had to kill one of our group members, he killed one of us over a tent, had to put him down.

Kourne

Legacy Supporter 3
It would be nice if someone could tel me which server you are playing on, I feel a bit lost on my own.
Will be home in about 6 hours, so maybe message me in a convo for steam-name. ;)

Galaxial

Legacy Supporter 4
I might be getting some new parts for my PC today, or a new rig altogether (hopefully!) soon, so this'll definitely be a lot of fun.
Can't wait to join you guys in this game, it looks epic!

Thejoker1177

Legacy Supporter 3
I'm thinking about buying the game, so if you could let me join your team, that would help me a lot! Just message me in a forum convo with the server.