• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Arma 2 Combined Ops - Dayz Mod

aceshooter11

Portal
Arma series in ran on Real Virtuality engine. this engine is used for not only gaming but used for Military training it is consitered the most realistic combat simulator. This is a growing community of elite players that arent 12 and play CoD all day long every day.

The Dayz mod is just an amazing addon and life comsuming mod. It is a realistic zombie survial simulator that is only online. All your items are saved on a data which every server is connected to so you are not limited to just one server. its really hard to explain gameplay you just have to see it for your self how amazing this game is.

Here is my fav play through of the game -Click Here-

The game cost 30 dollars but You can get away with only paying 16 ask me for more info on Ts is you want the cheap way of getting the game.

Thejoker1177

Legacy Supporter 3
I have seen several people play this. Haven't gotten a chance to buy Arma yet, but I plan on it!

jwplayer0

Legacy Supporter 6
WirlWind said:
I did a quick search and I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned in the forums yet o.0

http://www.dayzmod.com/ - The homepage with forums and downloads. I suggest going here and looking through the newbie section.

For any of you with ArmA 2 combined ops (original game and expansion), there's a mod I just discovered the other day and it's FUCKING AMAZING.

It's in alpha, so a bit buggy, but the amount of immersion I've had in the game is so far unparalleled by anything I've ever played (And I'm not even exaggerating o.0 )

The servers run with about 40-50 people on the map, Chernarus, which is 225km squared. It has a real-time day/night cycle (going off server's clock) and is free-for-all pvp. Your character is saved on a main server so if you swap servers, you will log in with all your stuff and in the spot you were at in the last server. Oh yeah, there are vehicles too, but those aren't as fleshed out as they should be since they're new.

The basics:

You start out as a survivor, tossed randomly into the world with nothing but a water bottle, a couple of food cans, some meds and a shitty pistol called the Makarov. From there, you're on your own. Your only goal is survival.

To find guns and food, you've got to scavenge around in houses and barns, or if you feel like being a douche, turn to a life of banditry and start shooting newbies.

Depending on where you go, you can often run into survivors, usually hearing them before you see them. These are the most tense moments in the game. Many a time I've spent 20 or so minutes tailing someone trying to figure out if they're friendly or a PKer, other times we've bumped into each other and had a tense mexican standoff where we both slowly back up, with guns raised, yelling at each other to "stop fucking moving!"

The big towns have better loot than the smaller ones, but you're MUCH more likely to find action with other players there. Bandits often go to the major coastal cities (Cherno and Elektro or something like that) in search of prey, which brings in the bandit hunters, trying to gain back morality points.

Basics of the morality:

When you start in the game, you have 2500 humanity. Killing a civilian will cause it to go down, killing zombies and bandits raise it back up. It can also tick up over time.

When you dip below 0 humanity, you get a special bandit skin (It's sorta desert camo looking) that lets people know to either kill you on sight, or run like a bitch. You're stuck with the skin until you get above 2000 humanity again.

It can be really hard to crawl back up if you go around killing people, but they often drop the best loot. Just be careful not to dip low, or get a reputation as a PKer or alot of people will try hunt you down.

The Zombies:

So the zombies are probably the buggiest part of the game at the moment (alpha is alpha) because they have really jerky animations and tend to phase through walls and stuff.

You can't outrun them, they're damn fast. They take 3 shots to kill with the makarov and a single zombie can knock you out in an instant and kill you if you're not careful. At the moment, they tend to spawn as you come into towns, so sometimes you can clear a place, come back in a few minutes and it has a zombie in it again.

You have 2 stealth icons in the top right. One is an eye. This shows how visible you are to the zombies. Standing in shadows, crouching or going prone limit your visibility. The other one is an ear. Obviously, that shows how noisy you're being.

You can generally crouch walk close at night without alerting them, which is good. They can REALLY fuck your day up. I got a bunch of good items one life and then a couple of zombies tore me to shreds and I lost it all :(

Vehicles:

So very infrequently, you'll come across a broken down vehicle. Some I've seen so far include a dirt bike, ATV, pickup truck and a Huey gunship.

When you DO find a vehicle, they're almost always broken. You need to go hunting around to find the parts it needs before you can get it up and running, plus it also needs petrol.

Honestly, I havn't touched this part of it yet, but I have seen guys burning about on a bike and popping wheelies, being chased by about 20 zombies. I lol'd.

Dying:

This game is 100% hardcore. You die, you restart a new character with only the starter gear. Your old body will stay around for a while and be completely lootable (you'll hear flies buzzing around bodies of dead players). To start afresh, you have to hit the abort button and disconnect back to the lobby, count to 10 or so, then rejoin.

Final advice:

My trust reaches as far as the end of my gun barrel and so should yours. You can meet people in game who are nice, but you'll quickly learn that sometimes they act nice just to shoot you in the back later.
The official trailer - think it's old though couldn't find a newer one.

That's the video-series that got me hooked.
Source

Rocket - Owner of DayZ said:
DayZ was designed to be impossibly cruel, dark, and brutal. It was not designed as a game it was more of an experiment, I prefer the term "anti-game" - in other words the mechanics are not designed to be balanced, or offer a way out for different situations.

@Kainzo this is your type of game.

ebilaxe

Legacy Supporter 6
So far spent my whole morning watching video's on this, I think I'm gonna get with you in TS for the 16$ deal...

jwplayer0

Legacy Supporter 6
@WirlWind you need to look harder before jumping the gun
i took that quote from another website, click the source button at the bottom of it, lol

@Kainzo You should host a Server and make a reserve list for DH donators
You cant have a reserve list for a DayZ Server, and it has to be public, they're actually have pretty strict rules with their server hosting, none the less I would love if their was a DH DayZ server

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
i took that quote from another website, click the source button at the bottom of it, lol

You cant have a reserve list for a DayZ Server, and it has to be public, they're actually have pretty strict rules with their server hosting, none the less I would love if their was a DH DayZ server
I think we could do a server... let me check into it - what platforms is this game for?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
It looks interesting - but very very rough. The zombie AI is poorly done. I'd like to give it a try but I dont see my self paying $30 for this.

Plasma78

Legacy Supporter 7
i could so get into this... only $14 hmmmmm..... checking round...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003UV8RRE/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20
$14.99

i am intrigued by this... greatly.. so once you buy the game the mod is free to use and install, just need to find a server with it running.. correct??

**EDIT**

This is all you need to get started playing the amazing zombie open-world sandbox mod DayZ and see why hundreds of people are purchasing Arma 2 just to play this mod. If you're thinking that you seen enough zombie stuff lately keep reading as there's a very good reason Arma 2, a graphically outdated, buggy, and undeniably niche war title from 2009 is the top selling game on steam right now.

DayZ info below:

DayZ:
http://dayzmod.com/

Setup help is located here:
http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2085

If you don't know what DayZ is and you consider yourself any kind of gamer read this now!:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...ayz-part-zero/

aceshooter11

Portal
....This is all you need to get started playing the amazing zombie open-world sandbox mod DayZ and see why hundreds of people are purchasing Arma 2 just to play this mod. If you're thinking that you seen enough zombie stuff lately keep reading as there's a very good reason Arma 2, a graphically outdated, buggy, and undeniably niche war title from 2009 is the top selling game on steam right now.....
Plamsa You have no clue what you are talking about. Arma 2 on the highest setting beats BF3 and MW3 or any top selling FPS any day in graphics. and keep in mind this is not even a game, But a Simulator that sticks to realism and not n-scope 360 bullshit.