• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Arma 2 Combined Ops - Dayz Mod

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
In technology that's massive. Only play I see this game sold right now is Steam.

Do you need Combined Ops or can you get just the base Arma 2?

Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead is the only part that you NEED to buy. If you don't mind some of the textures, specifically characters, looking like shit then you can use the Arma 2 free version. It has all the same code and such that the game needs to run, just terrible textures to make the download tiny. It is much easier if you have CO over steam as you can just drag the mod files into the correct area, add some startup parameters in steam, and right click launch OA as CO.

If you buy OA and get the free version of basic Arma 2 it is a bit more complicated, but if you don't want to spend the money that is the way to go. You can find help on all of the different installation methods as well as common error handling on the DayZ forums. Here is the main installation / common error thread.
http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2421
As for it being as old game, it is definitely quite old. However the game is immensely entertaining and there are some VERY serious and fun groups dedicated to the most realistic military simulated experiences they can do. Those are quite fun to do alongside DayZ, and the best and most serious / organized of the groups is the one me and Ace are in, which is Shack Tactical. Imagine some mods to make it even more realistic of a simulator. Then add 120 people organized into platoons, squads, fire teams, and so on working to complete objectives. One life, then your out. You can only talk within a realistic distance, and radios have multiple channels and max ranges rather than extending over a continent.

Basically, the game is really fun even without DayZ.

However if you really are not sure if it will be worth it, keep in mind that Arma 3 is not too far from being released and that the DayZ mod is already 100% compatible with Arma 3 and its new engine and has been tested, as Bohemia is supporting it some and the creator of the mod works for them. The game will be MUCH more realistic with much better everything including "easily reaching 200 player servers" rather than the current 50 player servers taking up 500GB a week of bandwidth (literally, thats what they use). There is no set release, but it should be sometime this fall/winter or very very early next year.

Galaxial

Legacy Supporter 4
Steam: Bixelated
Will probably be able to play more during the course of this week, exam on Monday/Tuesday and then the Monday after, dreadful things

Davros_

Web Developer
Legacy Supporter 9
Hey, I really want to play this game with some other people. I've been scavenging some materials for the past day but it's getting a bit boring on my own. Add me!

Steam: Davros_

Kourne

Legacy Supporter 3
It is propapbly a bad idea to tell my steam name here, but oh well... :p

Steam: toprope88