• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Wiki Updates - THE PLAN!

Sidgil

Legacy Supporter 3
I have good news and bad news.

The Good news is that I ahve started working out the ICs and am finding tem fairly easy to figure out, the bad news is that this stuff will be difficult, and possibly impossible, to simplify to some younger players. I have found a few youtube videos here and there that have made things very clear with working examples, and I link those in my edit, but the biggest thing here is that you actually have to sit down and play with each one before it will make sense to you.

Sidgil

Legacy Supporter 3
Do you think it would be better to keep the ICs off the Engineering table, or better to add them in with their descriptions? I essentially want to combine the IC, levels, and Engineer pages into one single page.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Hmm... think of it in terms of what readers will be looking for, and what they need to be able to find at a glance. For this reason, I think it would be useful to have the information in tiers, with the basic structure on the Engineer page (a consistent format with other Crafter specs) and more detailed pages layered behind this.

Honestly, the ICs are totally unintelligible to me :confused:, but here are some questions that might give direction to your plans:
  • How can summary information be drawn from the IC list so that the reader's thinking starts to be organised? Set up a framework for building the reader's understanding.
  • Is it possible to group the IC types, ie type A comes in at levels 2 to 10, type B at levels 11 to 20 and so on? (One group is apparently useful for making locks.)
  • Is it possible to combine the levels and IC explanation pages by adding a third column to the levels table, or will the explanations make this too bulky?
  • Also think about the level of information that will be helpful to Herocraft players, and recognize the point at which enthusiasts need to be directed to expert knowledge perhaps elsewhere on the web.
Oh, and good luck, and good on you :D @Sidgil !

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Remastered Tier 2 Supporter
You need to make an account on the wiki (it might be linked with your forum account so try just logging in). The in the top-right corner of the pages there wiki be an edit button. Take some time to learn the basic code; there are some help links available when you have a page open to be edited.

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
Sidgil WitchOnaRampage

Woops! Probably should of checked here first before helping with the ICs page. Let me know if the format/writing is up to par. I saw the page hasn't been updated a while and I took an undergraduate course on this stuff a few semesters ago so I figured I'd help out. I added truth tables and split flip-flops into a different section for easier reading.

Splitting up circuits by function seems more logical, since level-requirements may change and it is easier to read and document. I also like the idea of combining the ICs and Engineering pages.

Sidgil

Legacy Supporter 3
Sidgil WitchOnaRampage

Woops! Probably should of checked here first before helping with the ICs page. Let me know if the format/writing is up to par. I saw the page hasn't been updated a while and I took an undergraduate course on this stuff a few semesters ago so I figured I'd help out. I added truth tables and split flip-flops into a different section for easier reading.

Splitting up circuits by function seems more logical, since level-requirements may change and it is easier to read and document. I also like the idea of combining the ICs and Engineering pages.
fantastic, I had been writing a notebook for them as I came across. There are some that I couldn't get to work and.I got lost in town stuff
. I love the help!

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
WitchOnaRampage looked like you did the general skills and classes.

The only thing troubling me is that it looks like you consume exp when you use healing skills as a paladin.
You actually get exp from using it :eek:

I got no idea of how to make it look right.
It's not a big deal, just something I noticed.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
I'll look into that, EvilThor . Atm I have a rough plan to ask for the data to update the classes every month or so. Kainzo Danda

The Wiki needs info on the rated and non-rated PvP arenas, as well as general "how this community works" stuff - ie about how towns collaborate to organize rumbles etc... Any ideas who might take this on?

(I ain't no PvPer, lol :eek:.)

I'm currently playing with ideas for rearranging the front page, and identifying areas that aren't yet covered (ie PvP arenas), and bumping out areas that are no longer relevant (but need to check they're not coming back in - ie gambling, lottery commands, dragon travel, herogates... etc).

I'm also looking into using the Guides info that TheMormon has recently compiled to flesh out the Newbie Guide and Abbreviations sections.

Oh! and I need to put together a section I've been thinking about for a while - a really 'duh' obviously needed section - on how to update the Wiki if you want to!

Aaaaaand ... also thinking about how to 'reposition' the Wiki - so that players have realistic expectations about its reliability and up-to-datedness.

Lol, looks like I've just made a plan for myself... thanks for getting me going again, EvilThor.

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
Could someone pleas tell me witch PVP titles that are currently in game and witch is disabled?
I've tried to ask around on IRC and in game, but I get different answers every time...

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
WitchOnaRampage
I know I'm a new member, but I sort of love Wikis. If there's anything I can do to help out here or if there's anything I could do/add/work on, I'd be happy to. I'm not entirely sure where you get most of your specific information (outside of ingame info) but I'd be happy to get involved.

TheMormon 's recent newbie guide is great, and I'd be happy to give some new-member perspective :eek:

I'm not much of a PVPer myself, but compiling, sorting, and presenting data is something I can do.
Please let me know if I can help. :)

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Fantastic, XenZan .

Would you like to have a go at updating the Newbie Guide? You might like to incorporate material from TheMormon 's guide material, and your own experience will be very useful. Consider structure as well as content.

Might I suggest... that you could use the Newbie Guide to introduce players to the rest of the Wiki by leading them to particularly useful sections. Beware of reproducing the Wiki within the Newbie Guide. On the other hand, the Newbie Guide does need to stand on its own as a reasonably comprehensive block of info.

Above all, have fun with it!

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
WitchOnaRampage
You are on the ball. I'd be happy to have a go at it! It seems like the perfect place for me to start and to get involved. I've been looking for an "in" and I'm more than happy to take this as it. I will begin working on it probably tonight :D

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
WitchOnaRampage Okay, so I've started (though it took me longer than I intended) and I've gone through a good deal of it. I'm not done yet, but I need to get some sleep and pick it back up tomorrow. This post is primarily to ensure that I've not done too much replication of the wiki within the Newbie Guide as well as making sure the structure and writing is up to standards.

I still need to go over the Heroes section and update for current information as well as complete the commands section (and add more to the FAQ section?). I also intend to do some more internal linking to other wiki pages once I sort through the rest of it and collect my thoughts as well as clean up the spelling and formatting. Will resume tomorrow evening, most likely.

Just let me know if there's anything you want done to it in addition or instead. For now, sleep for me ;)

EDIT: Wrapping up. Something minor though: The flowchart for the class mechanics still displays level 30 as the mastering level.

Let me know if all's well and please don't hesitate to remark. If something needs fixing, let's fix it. A few concerns of mine are:
1. A lot of commands - though as a stand-alone reference, I thought certain commands were necessary to list. Opinions?
2. The Newbie FAQ - There's already a FAQ on the wiki, but there was also already some FAQ-like questions posed in the newbie guide (how to set spawn, etc), so I added a few more (namely the things I thought when I joined as well as things I see often in h chat). Could easily just add those to the actual FAQ page and link from the newbie guide. Please advise.
3. Content - Anything else you'd like to see implemented? Anything you'd like to see removed? Was it "newbie" enough? The information is current, to my knowledge, but a second set of eyes might make me feel better (not to mention catch my grammar mistakes :rolleyes: )

Otherwise, if we're golden, point me in the direction of whatever else you need.

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
Under public chat channels:
Add /ch ao, as a public chat channel

Under Admimestrating chat channels:
Ch mods can be added by another ch mod in a particulary channel, and not only by the server owner as the introduction says.

Add /ch ban, as a command

Under finding out about classes and professions:
There is no command called /armor [class], but /hero armor [class]
There is no command called /tools [class], but /hero tool [class]

Under Petitions for staff assistance:
Add /pe list closed, as a command.