• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Un-Nerf Breeding.

Nightroado

Obsidian
I'm not sure how many are aware, but there seems to be a limit as to how many animals can be occupied in one chunk. As a Farmer, I am obviously against this. I know this was done to reduce the strain on the server, but the impact of this limitation being introduced has made no impact on lag.

I know how important it is that we resolve the lag issues, but this attempt has failed and I don't think one class should be punished for the server's latency. Farmers don't exactly get by growing crops, we breed animals. It isn't worth being a farmer if I cannot breed the animals I need when I need them. I've done my part to not needlessly breed animals I am not using and often cull after I am done with them.

Please direct your attention in fixing things elsewhere and give us back our animals. Thank you.

I'm a farmer and I recently stumbled across the chunk breeding limitation. It is by far the hardest plugin to work around and should be removed. The cows and the calves are the same size so there is nothing we can do to mass produce the cows; most likely this plugin was put in for this reason but I would love for it to be tweaked or something so that Farmers can still make money.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
Why the disagree, Roadkill909? He nerfed breeding, we lag just as bad, if not worse. Should undo it and focus on alternative solutions.
TBH, I have noticed a drop in server lag, not much though. Though Kain will remove this limit once the lag is stable and controlled. Or at least in the past other farming (Like growth) have been turned off to help reduce lag and the reimplemented later.

Nightroado

Obsidian
TBH, I have noticed a drop in server lag, not much though. Though Kain will remove this limit once the lag is stable and controlled. Or at least in the past other farming (Like growth) have been turned off to help reduce lag and the reimplemented later.
If it is temporary, I can understand it. Thanks for letting me know this is something that happens. I haven't noticed any change for the better though. Started to spend less time on the server because of the animal limit and the lag. Just kinda double whammies me.
Really agree with this, thanks for posting this thread.
Thanks!

A

alexhoff1

I'm not sure how many are aware, but there seems to be a limit as to how many animals can be occupied in one chunk. As a Farmer, I am obviously against this. I know this was done to reduce the strain on the server, but the impact of this limitation being introduced has made no impact on lag.

I know how important it is that we resolve the lag issues, but this attempt has failed and I don't think one class should be punished for the server's latency. Farmers don't exactly get by growing crops, we breed animals. It isn't worth being a farmer if I cannot breed the animals I need when I need them. I've done my part to not needlessly breed animals I am not using and often cull after I am done with them.

Please direct your attention in fixing things elsewhere and give us back our animals. Thank you.

I like that you want to get rid of lag.

though...
If it does still lag for you, then I don't know why, but the lag on my end was pretty much dropped about 90%, so I really think this actually impacted the server in a positive way.

Vynderunel

Obsidian

Agreed! Give us our animals back. (Peaceful Protest, otherwise we'll slap you with Coco and Cow-udders)

Vynderunel

Obsidian
I like that you want to get rid of lag.

though...
If it does still lag for you, then I don't know why, but the lag on my end was pretty much dropped about 90%, so I really think this actually impacted the server in a positive way.
Even with the limited animals per chunk my lag has never dropped, different for some people I guess.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
Farmers and Engineers are two classes that can directly lag the server, and both have limits in place because of this.

I my town, we have around 200 sheep in a 15x20 area. I honestly don't see how you can need more animals that that.
A few months ago, Kainzo decreased mob EXP for farmers and in turn increased the growth rate and EXP for crops for farmers. Maybe that should be done again to discourage farmers from making massive animal farms that lag and decrease other people's performance on Herocraft.

If you want to make farms with hundreds of animals, maybe you should consider donating so we can upkeep the server and get better hardware.

Even with the limited animals per chunk my lag has never dropped, different for some people I guess.
I start to lag at about 500-600 mobs within my vicinity, and have never heard or seen an example of limited animals in a chunk.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
I'm a farmer and I recently stumbled across the chunk breeding limitation. It is by far the hardest plugin to work around and should be removed. The cows and the calves are the same size so there is nothing we can do to mass produce the cows; most likely this plugin was put in for this reason but I would love for it to be tweaked or something so that Farmers can still make money.
It was put in because of lag issues.

Nightroado

Obsidian
Farmers and Engineers are two classes that can directly lag the server, and both have limits in place because of this.

I my town, we have around 200 sheep in a 15x20 area. I honestly don't see how you can need more animals that that.
A few months ago, Kainzo decreased mob EXP for farmers and in turn increased the growth rate and EXP for crops for farmers. Maybe that should be done again to discourage farmers from making massive animal farms that lag and decrease other people's performance on Herocraft.

If you want to make farms with hundreds of animals, maybe you should consider donating so we can upkeep the server and get better hardware.

I start to lag at about 500-600 mobs within my vicinity, and have never heard or seen an example of limited animals in a chunk.

I've noticed it takes longer than normal during lag to breed and grow animals since the server clock runs at a slower pace than actual time. Sometimes it takes 13 minutes for 5 minutes to pass. When in the dead of night, the time seems normal or close to. It takes hours to build a decent size farm though. One day I spent several hours building up sheep for my dragon and logging in the next morning to find Apherdite floating above random wool littering the ground. Hours wasted.

When you lag with 500-600 mobs nearby, that is fps lag, not latency lag. Or so I assume. But I never have that many mobs up, ever. And the new limit is about 25 mobs per chunk. Insanely low for those of us trying to gather just about anything. This has made the class worthless and most do not notice a difference in lag at all. We're being punished because they don't know how to fix the lag.

Please stop punishing us for being a class that can summon entities. Kainzo, you give us the skills to summon them then restrict us from breeding them. May as well not be a farmer at all since animals are the majority of what we deal with. It's what makes us unique and valuable.

If you want to make temporary adjustments, consider lowering the population that can connect to the server. Or upgrading the server. Or adjust plug-in settings. I know when anti-xray isn't turning all our stuff into stone, the server's performance seems significantly higher. And noobs to our town dig random tunnels into my chest room so I know it isn't stopping xrayers. Point being, there are steps that can be taken to lighten the load that affect us all equally.

I agree with this, at least increase the amount of animals in the chunk so that we can still be worth something. Nightroado and I were trying to find a way to keep production up but there isn't so far..

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Here's the better question:

Why do you want massive farms of animals?

Is it the exp?
the item profit?

I'm all ears.

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
I don't really see how this is a nerf..
This only mean you can't make huge ass farms witch works as a storage, and lags the crap out of the server..

You can still get the same amount of stuff, but you'll need to breed then kill then breed more..

As for sheep farms, in Camelot we had around 150 sheeps, then two farmers ran around and sheared without running out of sheeps to cut, so you don't really need "that" many...

D

Digger 360

Here's the better question:

Why do you want massive farms of animals?

Is it the exp?
the item profit?

I'm all ears.

Item profit. With a large group of animals, you can breed a massive amount, than slaughter an equal number without losing potential.

With 100 cows I could breed 50, slaughter 50, than breed once again, maintaining production.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Item profit. With a large group of animals, you can breed a massive amount, than slaughter an equal number without losing potential.

With 100 cows I could breed 50, slaughter 50, than breed once again, maintaining production.
While increasing lag across the board on the server.

That's the issue here.