• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Two game changing suggestions.

J2BH

Legacy Supporter 7
I havn't made many forum posts lately, but I'm back with two suggestions.
They both are pretty game changing, and are most likely difficult to implement.

First suggestion is the tutorial.
The current tutorial is definitely without a doubt a step up from the old tutorial. However, even with all its glory the current tutorial is failing. The same problem of players skipping everything and asking later occurs still.

When I, and countless others joined the server, the tutorial was amazing. Yes the pathing was a bit weird, but that tutorial worked. Not many people asked questions afterward. Let me tell ya why. The old old tutorial had SIGNS instead of the holograms. Holograms look really cool I will admit, but they cram up the screen and lets the player know how much reading he/she's gonna have to do, which is never a good thing lol. I've logged on countless other rpg style servers to see what kind of tutorial they all have. Most, if not all, used signs. Signs are great!, You can color them, they're easy to read off of and most importantly, you can't see them through walls.

I think it's time we bring back the OG signs for the tutorial, as it worked the best, and works the best for many servers out there. Another thing is ambiance. Players prefer a bright and open environment when playing new games in general. From what i saw on the servers I paid a visit to, most had daytime and brightness (Mostly for the signs I bet). But that type of Ambiance captivates players, and gives them the urge to stick around.

Second suggestion is Music!
I really don't know how this can be implemented, but boy oh boy did it take me a while to realize this when it shouldn't have. ALL Rpgs use music to boost up the motivation for players, and it works! If you've ever played an RPG, you know the amazing feeling of that epic music coming on when you fight a boss, or players, or anything, and that perfect music for towns and such. A great example for a game that used music in their favor would be RaiderZ, the game shut down since. When I played though, there were thousands of players on and I never failed to get goosebumps when fighting a boss. Just the music was enough, it was great.

Like I said already i doubt music will be something easily done, but perhaps there can be a mod to be added to the modpack for music, idk truthfully.

That's about all, just two changes that could only lead to the better of herocraft, and experience of new players. Thanks for reading :p

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Signs are so much worse than holograms... players skip signs in droves... Maybe im the minority here though but I hate signs. I think we need more interaction and less shoving information at the face of the player.

Not really interested in re-adding signs. They are harder to manage too, you have to be in-game to edit them.

J2BH

Legacy Supporter 7
Signs are so much worse than holograms... players skip signs in droves... Maybe im the minority here though but I hate signs. I think we need more interaction and less shoving information at the face of the player.

Not really interested in re-adding signs. They are harder to manage too, you have to be in-game to edit them.
is there no way to disable the ability to see holograms through walls? That's probably what clutters the players screen

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
is there no way to disable the ability to see holograms through walls? That's probably what clutters the players screen
Maybe its how we built it, perhaps if the player climbed stairs / levels every bit, they wouldnt be smashed with them in the face as much or behind walls if they are below (or above) them...

pure_autism

Legacy Supporter 5

Holograms kill my framerate.

Rihawk_

Legacy Supporter 4
Canadia! why else would I be so friendly?
Maybe at the end of the tutorial give the players a command to summon a book with the basics of what is in the tutorial so even after they leave, they can see the basic tutorial points and stuff? Just a thought

Thats kinda on topic, but it could be another way to help if people skip the tut cause they dont want to read.

A book with a bunch of pages doesnt feel like as much reading if there is a table of contents so you can skip to the part you want.

J2BH

Legacy Supporter 7
Maybe its how we built it, perhaps if the player climbed stairs / levels every bit, they wouldnt be smashed with them in the face as much or behind walls if they are below (or above) them...
Thats almost how we had it before with the white stairs, it didn't work to well either.

J2BH

Legacy Supporter 7
Maybe at the end of the tutorial give the players a command to summon a book with the basics of what is in the tutorial so even after they leave, they can see the basic tutorial points and stuff? Just a thought

Thats kinda on topic, but it could be another way to help if people skip the tut cause they dont want to read.

A book with a bunch of pages doesnt feel like as much reading if there is a table of contents so you can skip to the part you want.
That is an exceptional idea! Wow. why didnt i think of this haha

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Thats almost how we had it before with the white stairs, it didn't work to well either.
We can easily make it a island feel more so. I dont feel that holograms take away from the tutorial, I feel that signs do. Hosting servers I can see players run past signs like they dont see them but at the very least players stop to read holograms.
That is an exceptional idea! Wow. why didnt i think of this haha
We've had a herobook before, ill see about re-adding it.

Doesn't the fact that it is a book and you are reading it make it feel more like reading than holograms?

If you are re-adding the book, couldn't you just provide a link for the wiki on it? The book could give basics, but there's no way we can fit everything into it.

J2BH

Legacy Supporter 7
Doesn't the fact that it is a book and you are reading it make it feel more like reading than holograms?

If you are re-adding the book, couldn't you just provide a link for the wiki on it? The book could give basics, but there's no way we can fit everything into it.
Yeah i think that would be the best way to go about it.
Go over the simple stuff like
How to make money
What do you do now
And then in the end put a link to the wiki

BTW If players are still spawned into the t1 dungeon immediately i think that's a pretty bad idea, but ill make a separate suggestion thread for that

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
I'm really not keen on books, sorry. We've had a couple before now. Things change all the time and the welcome books rarely get updated. The content needs to be very carefully considered and kept to a minimum. Maybe I'm just being negative on that mechanic, let me know if you think I am!

I really liked the "old" tutorial too where you toured the various profession and combat class houses. It was, however, too long, and it lost a great deal when the NPCs that presented the combat classes were taken out.

The current tutorial is too short in space to accommodate all the holograms, which is what contributes to it looking cluttered. It is indeed such a pity that holograms can't be made invisible over a distance - ie that they only appear when you're 5 blocks from them, etc.

Btw with this tutorial I did spend an agonizing amount of care positioning the holograms to minimise overlap... it's just too small a space.

Imho a good tutorial would be:
  • not too long and not too short (lol, how long is a piece of string? :D )
  • interactive - players would be forced to use one or two skills
  • inescapable - players can't warp themselves out before they've finished the tute
  • return-to-able - so that players can review the info BUT not able to change their class again to avoid seasoned players exploiting it to get free class changes... unless the class selection in the tutorial worked as a reset... now there's an idea...
@Kainzo will there be a Factions server tutorial?