• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Travelling trough Europe for Springbreak

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
After reading these posts, I just feel obligated to opine that Minnesota (plus North Dakota, South Dakota, and Iowa) is the Scandinavia of the United States. Good education, good social services, high quality of life, diversified local economy, relatively progressive, and....... now 100% more Apherdite! http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/members/apherdite.3/
All of my Scandinavian-American brethren are in Minnesota. I even have a friend that goes to St. Olaf's. :confused:

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
St. Olaf as in The Holy Olav of Norway who was the first viking with royal blood in him did a whole-hearty attempt to convert Norway to christianity? He died at the battle of Stiklestad though against an army 6x his size. His nephew, Harald, fled the battle and went to the Eastern Roman Empire and he became the Commander of the Imperial Guards (The Imperial Guards consisted of St. Olaf loyal vikings). He then later returned to Norway during a time of near anarchy. He took the throne back for his family and he became known has Harald Hardråde, the last Viking King. At this point, Sweden and Denmark had converted so their Viking times were already over, but Hardråde didn't care much for religion. In 1066 he invades England with a massive fleet of hundreds of long boats. At the same time, the Normans (Who was a Viking people mix of Norwegian, Dane and French) also invaded England. The Anglo-Saxon king in England decided to fight Harald first and at Stamford Bridge he outplayed and destroyed the viking army by fooling them into thinking York was gonna surrender. None of the vikings brought their usual armor or weapons that day so the Anglo-Saxon cavelery ate them to pieces. Hardråde fell with an arrow trough his neck.

And thus died the last Viking King. Norway's next kings were all christian.

There is a huge cathedral in Trondheim named The St. Olav's Cathedral. (His name is Olav in the official norwegian royal bloodline, but a lot of people calls him Olaf as several texts from that time names him Olaf Haraldson)

There's also an order in Norway called St. Olav's order which is for people who earn their "knighthood" and become "Sir NameHere of The St. Olav order). Often related to cultural stuff.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
St. Olaf as in The Holy Olav of Norway who was the first viking with royal blood in him did a whole-hearty attempt to convert Norway to christianity? He died at the battle of Stiklestad though against an army 6x his size. His nephew, Harald, fled the battle and went to the Eastern Roman Empire and he became the Commander of the Imperial Guards (The Imperial Guards consisted of St. Olaf loyal vikings). He then later returned to Norway during a time of near anarchy. He took the throne back for his family and he became known has Harald Hardråde, the last Viking King. At this point, Sweden and Denmark had converted so their Viking times were already over, but Hardråde didn't care much for religion. In 1066 he invades England with a massive fleet of hundreds of long boats. At the same time, the Normans (Who was a Viking people mix of Norwegian, Dane and French) also invaded England. The Anglo-Saxon king in England decided to fight Harald first and at Stamford Bridge he outplayed and destroyed the viking army by fooling them into thinking York was gonna surrender. None of the vikings brought their usual armor or weapons that day so the Anglo-Saxon cavelery ate them to pieces. Hardråde fell with an arrow trough his neck.

And thus died the last Viking King. Norway's next kings were all christian.

There is a huge cathedral in Trondheim named The St. Olav's Cathedral. (His name is Olav in the official norwegian royal bloodline, but a lot of people calls him Olaf as several texts from that time names him Olaf Haraldson)

There's also an order in Norway called St. Olav's order which is for people who earn their "knighthood" and become "Sir NameHere of The St. Olav order). Often related to cultural stuff.
This is the stuff that Americans don't learn in high school (at least on the East Coast). Western Civilization follows the Greeks/Romans/Holy Roman Empire/etc to WWII...

AP European History is really just an extended version of the same deal. Sort of funny that it says "European", but the only contemporary countries that are acknowledged are GB, France, Germany, Italy, and Russia. Some Austria. Maybe Sweden gets mentioned twice in the entire textbook.

joshtsai

Legacy Supporter 2
This is the stuff that Americans don't learn in high school (at least on the East Coast). Western Civilization follows the Greeks/Romans/Holy Roman Empire/etc to WWII...

AP European History is really just an extended version of the same deal. Sort of funny that it says "European", but the only contemporary countries that are acknowledged are GB, France, Germany, Italy, and Russia. Some Austria. Maybe Sweden gets mentioned twice in the entire textbook.
Sweden is mentioned 8 times in my Ap Euro book.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
I haven't learnt any of that stuff on school, I still got another 1.5 years before high school. I enjoy reading history. The 8-10th year of school (I'm in 9th) we only learn US revolution, French revolution, a tiny bit Napoleon (Only major stuff, we don't learn anything about the battle of Trafalgar, Leipzig, Egypt or Italy. I got a higher score than max score because I explained all these things in detail on my test). We then learn about WW1, the great depression in EU/US, Hitler's way to power, WW2 and next year we're gonna learn about the Cold War, Vietnam and Korea wars.

It's pretty stupid that we don't learn anything about the Roman Republic/Empire, the Greek City States or The Dark times of Europe. I bet 99% of all students on my school doesn't know what a Roman Cohort is or know what the Pelleponic wars was. To learn these things we have to pick History & Philosophy in High school.

Too bad Sweden isn't mentioned so much, they had quite the Empire in the 1700s. They were also the major protestantic country in the 30-years war. And they were the key to Napoleon's fall in Leipzig.

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
EtKEnn Where in the world does all this knowledge come from? Pretty much everyone of your age I know dont even use their brains, yet you talk like a professor.