• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Townships complexity

kperkins1982

Max Legacy Supporter
from time to time a buddy tells me they have saved up some souls and are gonna start a town. I try to explain it can be difficult to maintain and to plan out their soul item trading beforehand. Then they go start a town in the plains, can't gather the needed soul items and the town fails. On multiple occasions the players put so much work into the new town it failing caused them to quit the server. This makes me sad.

I understand the idea behind the soul item creation is that towns must work together, and this is actually pretty cool. My town keeps other towns alive and they ours, we also build friendships we never would have otherwise as a result.

To a new mayor though it can be pretty daunting. There must be a dozen steps involved for these items, each with their own buildings and biome restrictions.

If our server had a higher population that might work, but with 30-40 people on at a time it is overly complex.

I suggest removing or lessening the biome restrictions, or even allowing say farmer to change biomes for some high material cost.

As well as taking some of the steps out of the item production / trading. We could take out like 6 of the buildings and it would still be annoying.

I want to start a town on the new map but just looking at the wiki stresses me out. I would rather pay more to expand or higher tax than deal with all that. It feels like this plugin was an ambitious experiment, that on paper sounded great but in practice is tedious. Please consider changing it and if not now at least when the map resets.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
from time to time a buddy tells me they have saved up some souls and are gonna start a town. I try to explain it can be difficult to maintain and to plan out their soul item trading beforehand. Then they go start a town in the plains, can't gather the needed soul items and the town fails. On multiple occasions the players put so much work into the new town it failing caused them to quit the server. This makes me sad.

I understand the idea behind the soul item creation is that towns must work together, and this is actually pretty cool. My town keeps other towns alive and they ours, we also build friendships we never would have otherwise as a result.

To a new mayor though it can be pretty daunting. There must be a dozen steps involved for these items, each with their own buildings and biome restrictions.

If our server had a higher population that might work, but with 30-40 people on at a time it is overly complex.

I suggest removing or lessening the biome restrictions, or even allowing say farmer to change biomes for some high material cost.

As well as taking some of the steps out of the item production / trading. We could take out like 6 of the buildings and it would still be annoying.

I want to start a town on the new map but just looking at the wiki stresses me out. I would rather pay more to expand or higher tax than deal with all that. It feels like this plugin was an ambitious experiment, that on paper sounded great but in practice is tedious. Please consider changing it and if not now at least when the map resets.
I somewhat agree, running a town is a challenge, but that isn't exactly a bad thing. It prevents tons of towns from sprouting up everywhere, and allows those who persevere to remain in business.

Also, biomes stuff doesn't apply. The only major issue I have with the town's system is the war system, which is super expensive.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
I need to get the biome stuff out of the wiki - I mean, the stuff that doesn't apply.

The only biome stuff that does apply, I understand, is for the construction of the soul regions. Biome restrictions don't apply to farms, factories etc.

Also I don't think the class restrictions on redstone and gold mines are active.

Class restrictions on soul factories... are they working? I don't think so, but would like confirmation from players, please.

Height restrictions (ie max/min y) ARE working.

Last edited:

kperkins1982

Max Legacy Supporter
Im referring to the soul items as far as biomes go, if our active player base goes any lower I predict many towns will fail before the end of the map, and this is unfortunate because a lot of them have changed hands several times so the original biome a town is in isn't even the fault of the current owners. It can be a pretty disheartening thing

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Class Restriction are not working. You only need a Master Profession to place stuff like Cauldrons. Anvils. Ender Chests and so on. @WitchOnaRampage
I could not place any of those as a master Farmer, so. Not sure if it's just with townships or in general, but I think they are working for class block things.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
I could not place any of those as a master Farmer, so. Not sure if it's just with townships or in general, but I think they are working for class block things.
The Heroes restrictions are still in place. It's the restrictions on creating regions under the Townships plugin that we're considering here.

kperkins1982

Max Legacy Supporter
Philosopher
SoulChemist
Apothecary
Cabal
SoulAltar
Mystic
RedSoulMine
SoulWorks
Tinkerer
Harvester
SoulGrinder
Bakery
TradingPost
SoulDepot
Bazaar
GemMine
SoulGemCutter
Jeweler
Cryptographer
SoulPress
Codifex
Ironworks
SoulForge
Smithy

What makes 24 the best number

why not 50, why not 100?

This could reduce to 12, and be just as fun, yet less annoying to deal with. I see no added value with multiple buildings a mayor has to manage other than complexity. It is an arbitrary number.

When this started a town had the potential to make TONS of money, and the complexity combined with war balanced that out

however, now that war isn't working, and the money halved as a result, we are left with just complexity

understanding the history of how this came to be and the ideal way it was supposed to work compared with current state makes it really hard to justify the status quo