• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

"Town Rules"

Do you agree, disagree, or other?

• Total voters

Templar_James

Legacy Supporter 8
Expanding on @Kainzo's post above, I'm going to reply to some of the points here that I'm aiming to resolve in townships and Iknow that @Danda is going to try and resolve with some newly written town rules that are still in discussion and hopefully finished before Townships comes in full force.

Last I checked, town walls couldn't be taller than 30 blocks. Plus, putting a glass wall and roof like Silvermede of last map (no offense guys, but if it wasn't so close to the map's ending, we would have asked to have it removed or remove it ourselves) isn't allowed.\

Agreed, there isn't any sort of RPG aspect to building an entirely closed off town. Likewise, this isn't strictly an RPG server.

So everyone would have to build either wooden w/ straw roofed houses or stone forts? This isn't strictly an RPG server, it's an SMP server with RPG elements. Whether or not players are to build in line of castles, modern, or a completely different theme (as long as it's not a box and it doesn't look horrible) is up to the players building their creations.

True, while they were completely closed off, it's not illegal and towns have the choice of whether to build their town in a way that it can be explored/entered by foreigners (usually pvp raiders trying to get some free stuff and kills). Usually, if you lower the restrictions on design and have the basic idea requirements to follow, there will be towns that may blow your mind away while still keeping a complete enclosed environment.

After all this, I'd like to point out a few things that are changing in the new Townships:
- Automatic Region access removal when a citizen is kicked/audited out of the town
- Subregioning abilities granted to the mayors/managers
- An official SIC rank that will "succeed" the mayor in the event the mayor is audited/kicked/leaving the town
- Automatic Herochat channel creation, moderation and restrictions (non members/guests can not join the channel)
- Automatic Region upgrades to a configurable point polygon region forming a circle (36 point polygon region forming the shape of a circle currently)
- Alongside with some of the pre-existing features of HeroTowns (though Townships is a complete rewrite of HeroTowns from scratch, so it's taking a little longer than just updating HeroTowns).

I was looking at builds on minecraft websites and I saw some pretty amazing shit that if people do pull off on this server go right ahead I would love to see some of these builds put into action. The rest is up to the admins I just don't believe that if your town doesn't need a ceiling to go with its build it shouldn't have one

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
no idea what happened to the tnt / region regeneration mod. If that is ever implemented, even closed off towns would not be safe. But for all i know that got put on the back burner / pulled completely. Seemed like a fun idea with a few glaring issues that upset alot of people lol.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Consider requiring upgraded Towns (perhaps City) to have an entrance that can be opened using telekinesis. This would make towns much more attackable and yet still panic rooms and underground vaults/areas would be completely safe.

Also: Get beacons on region to only affect regioned town members, and we can have MUCH more open towns.

supersanta

Wood
Well the way I see it, not everyone should be allowed making a town. I think, that 5-10 players (maybe more) should be granted the permission to make a town, that way it would force other players to join those towns, the mayor would then pick out architects and run everyting that has to be run in the town. That would also give a kick to the rpg, it would fx create jobs like miners, lumberjacks, architects and so on :)

Perhaps there could also be mayor elections each irl month or something :)

Templar_James

Legacy Supporter 8
Consider requiring upgraded Towns (perhaps City) to have an entrance that can be opened using telekinesis. This would make towns much more attackable and yet still panic rooms and underground vaults/areas would be completely safe.

Also: Get beacons on region to only affect regioned town members, and we can have MUCH more open towns.

I like that idea with the telekinesis it would actually make that move a lot more useful and also I love the idea with the beacons I hate that it applies to everyone around it should only apply to town members.
Well the way I see it, not everyone should be allowed making a town. I think, that 5-10 players (maybe more) should be granted the permission to make a town, that way it would force other players to join those towns, the mayor would then pick out architects and run everyting that has to be run in the town. That would also give a kick to the rpg, it would fx create jobs like miners, lumberjacks, architects and so on :)

Perhaps there could also be mayor elections each irl month or something :)

That system is implemented where you have to have 5 active members a week.

MajorasMask

Ungodly

How do you define something as an ''entrance''? Nearly all the town's i've been in have had several air locks beyond the front door,, so saying that open entrances will make towns much more attackable doesn't make much sense.

Templar_James

Legacy Supporter 8
How do you define something as an ''entrance''? Nearly all the town's i've been in have had several air locks beyond the front door,, so saying that open entrances will make towns much more attackable doesn't make much sense.

Think of last map the town msgigi was in I forget what it's called but they had a completely open town if you have and airlock to get into your basement/base of your town that's fine all I know is that town was so fun to pvp in.

supersanta

Wood
[/quote]That system is implemented where you have to have 5 active members a week.[/quote]

yeah it is just I am new on the server, and I have been wandering around for hours looking for towns with people in them and it's a problem that I can't find any.

Last edited:

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Think of last map the town msgigi was in I forget what it's called but they had a completely open town if you have and airlock to get into your basement/base of your town that's fine all I know is that town was so fun to pvp in.

What's your point? This doesn't change that fact that what Dsawemd said was far too vague and didn't make much sense.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
What's your point? This doesn't change that fact that what Dsawemd said was far too vague and didn't make much sense.
I made this thread a few days ago:

http://herocraftonline.com/main/threads/requirement-for-city.44362/

The point being that at least some part of the surface is open to visitors, and whether the vanilla mechanic (which requires Telekinesis to open) is closed or open to all can be determined by the City in question. However, determined raiders would be able to force entry to the public area only through a combo of HeroSkills.

Hope that offers a bit more structure to my comment.

koen31

TNT
I want to know how most people feel about this map with towns. Last map was a struggle with the whole roofs/domes and the 55 block walls with towns. I believe that most towns shouldn't be allowed to do this as it is just boring and there is no rpg aspect in a building being completely closed.

I also highly suggest that towns now must be built like how an rpg type of building would look. As In a castle, stone mountain, and or a sky castle with stairs? Just suggestions but there has to be some type of rpg element to it so it doesn't look like crap.

Not trying to be an ass but like last map we had the FC base that was completely closed off. Also the base next to FC which had an airlock that lead into a sky base and the only other way was to pillar up. These bases are just ugly to look at and ruin the point of herocraft the rpg server.

Suggestions go ahead I like suggestions.
I'm in FC and I do agree that the base didn't look all that nice, but there wont be open, nice looking bases until someone figures out a way to stop the camping. I would love to see open themed bases that people can freely view such as Silvermede was last map. I loved the way Silvermede looked last map as a medieval themed town that was open to any travelers that may pass by. But with me leading it also came a swarm of PvP that halted any recruitment, leveling or building that my citizens wanted to take place in. This being said I had to create walls. First I made a wall of about 9 blocks high that looked quite nice, though as far as protection goes it did next to nothing. I was forced to build a glass box around the entire town even though I hated the idea of doing so.

I'll also give an example from the Haven map. Port Royal. It looks nice and is open to the public for viewing, but when it comes time for them to have a safe area to farm and build, this is not it.

Jacobpanther

Legacy Supporter 3
yeah it is just I am new on the server, and I have been wandering around for hours looking for towns with people in them and it's a problem that I can't find any.

The map just had a reset and there are currently only around 5 towns with any regions. If I'm not mistaken they are HamburgerTown, Papadapatropolous, Legacy, Volantis and Prometheus. That is probably why you can't find any towns. They just released the dynmap where you can see a good number of bases though. Link is hc.to/map

supersanta

Wood
The map just had a reset and there are currently only around 5 towns with any regions. If I'm not mistaken they are HamburgerTown, Papadapatropolous, Legacy, Volantis and Prometheus. That is probably why you can't find any towns. They just released the dynmap where you can see a good number of bases though. Link is hc.to/map

Thanks a lot! :D

MajorasMask

Ungodly
I made this thread a few days ago:

http://herocraftonline.com/main/threads/requirement-for-city.44362/

The point being that at least some part of the surface is open to visitors, and whether the vanilla mechanic (which requires Telekinesis to open) is closed or open to all can be determined by the City in question. However, determined raiders would be able to force entry to the public area only through a combo of HeroSkills.

Hope that offers a bit more structure to my comment.

What you're suggesting will not make towns ''much more attackable''. I'm pretty sure that if people are forced to have a semi-open overcity then they will just move their stuff underground and avoid the overcity as much as possible.

Ellron23

Legacy Supporter 3
I'm in FC and I do agree that the base didn't look all that nice, but there wont be open, nice looking bases until someone figures out a way to stop the camping.I was forced to build a glass box around the entire town even though I hated the idea of doing so.
#OccupySilvermede
I'm in FC and I do agree that the base didn't look all that nice, but there wont be open, nice looking bases until someone figures out a way to stop the camping.
Lern 2 undercity nub.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
What you're suggesting will not make towns ''much more attackable''. I'm pretty sure that if people are forced to have a semi-open overcity then they will just move their stuff underground and avoid the overcity as much as possible.

But surely you agree that a semi-open city is desirable for many reasons. Like I said in the other post, consider several past towns:

Ironpass: Open to view only, still much nicer than seeing just walls.

D101: Surface structures were unique and themed, much nicer than walls and yet, had some of the best undercity security in HC history.

Newerth: Over several maps the town of Newerth managed to have impressive but not impenetrable defenses - without towering walls.

All these towns managed to be non-pvp focused towns while refusing to encase themselves in sky-high defenses. I suggest we make this an enforceable norm, and that once the level of City is reached, the outer walls cannot be bland, towering, and dirt-doored, as is unfortunately so often the case.