• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

"Town Rules"

Do you agree, disagree, or other?

• Total voters

Symbolite

Legacy Supporter 7
As one of the many builders of Newerth over the previous 4 maps I think I can speak for every one of its Nobles that we hate box towns with no surface. Despite PvP and raiders we decided to build our City to look just that, a City! A townhall, community builds, apartments, and town member homes along real streets. We had small believable walls protecting the surface of the town. Most classes could figure out a way over them and if not... GTP lol.

Over the 4 maps each map has gotten progressively worse with raiders and their disrespect for people simply there for building. End of Dragongarde Newerth I implemented a series of tunnels that connected town hall to all citizens homes and to Nevermore our sister city. By Bastion it got so bad that we built an entire Undercity surrounding what we dubbed "The Core". Even still we kept our traditions going strong with the look and feel of the surface and never lost its functionality.

I can't really speak for our raiders because I was never in their position but I think they had fun being able to get into the surface area of our town and fight us when we actually went out to defend. I certainly found it fun taking the battle out onto the streets like that.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at here is I think people should strive to create towns somewhat like what we've accomplished to.

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
@gabizou @Kainzo any way that idea with beacons applying to only town members would give a slight home advantage which should be there
Impossible at the current moment given that Bukkit/spigot has no beacon api at the current moment, so, very impossible to do without trying to write in some hacky solution that would surely break on any further updates.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
But surely you agree that a semi-open city is desirable for many reasons. Like I said in the other post, consider several past towns:

Ironpass: Open to view only, still much nicer than seeing just walls.

D101: Surface structures were unique and themed, much nicer than walls and yet, had some of the best undercity security in HC history.

Newerth: Over several maps the town of Newerth managed to have impressive but not impenetrable defenses - without towering walls.

All these towns managed to be non-pvp focused towns while refusing to encase themselves in sky-high defenses. I suggest we make this an enforceable norm, and that once the level of City is reached, the outer walls cannot be bland, towering, and dirt-doored, as is unfortunately so often the case.

None of this matters. Your first point was that an open city would make a town much more attackable, which, according to your own examples, would not even be the case.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
None of this matters. Your first point was that an open city would make a town much more attackable, which, according to your own examples, would not even be the case.
The staging ground for the pvp would be within the borders of the city rather than outside it, providing the defending players with the distinct advantage of perms, and increasing the likelihood that they will be willing to defend their city.

Not that a city would be more successfully attacked, but that the city itself, streets, buildings, fountains and fortifications would provide an arena for both friendly and non-friendly interactions instead of fighting in the area surround a walled housing project, or having to be let in through 3 ugly layers of dirt to do profession work for a non-towny.

Thats what I meant by attackable.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
The staging ground for the pvp would be within the borders of the city rather than outside it, providing the defending players with the distinct advantage of perms, and increasing the likelihood that they will be willing to defend their city.

Not that a city would be more successfully attacked, but that the city itself, streets, buildings, fountains and fortifications would provide an arena for both friendly and non-friendly interactions instead of fighting in the area surround a walled housing project, or having to be let in through 3 ugly layers of dirt to do profession work for a non-towny.

Thats what I meant by attackable.

I've been in towns with an open overcity before, and it gave people no significant advantage in PvP. How will region access help someone?

Your second point still doesn't mean anything. An unregioned wilderness outside of a town could function as your ''arena''. What makes a town with streets, fountains, buildings, etc, different is that it looks nicer. ''Friendly interactions'' may still have to go through dirt layers if work is to be done underground (unless you're now going to suggest that undercities must be open too..).