• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

"Town Rules"

Do you agree, disagree, or other?

• Total voters

Templar_James

Legacy Supporter 8
I want to know how most people feel about this map with towns. Last map was a struggle with the whole roofs/domes and the 55 block walls with towns. I believe that most towns shouldn't be allowed to do this as it is just boring and there is no rpg aspect in a building being completely closed.

I also highly suggest that towns now must be built like how an rpg type of building would look. As In a castle, stone mountain, and or a sky castle with stairs? Just suggestions but there has to be some type of rpg element to it so it doesn't look like crap.

Not trying to be an ass but like last map we had the FC base that was completely closed off. Also the base next to FC which had an airlock that lead into a sky base and the only other way was to pillar up. These bases are just ugly to look at and ruin the point of herocraft the rpg server.

Suggestions go ahead I like suggestions.

Bedwyr2112

Legacy Supporter 9
I agree that stuff shouldn't look like crap, but I doubt that is the real motivation behind your post.

that's a subtle way of saying it sucks for pvp'ers because they can't get to people. If you guys would just engage people who are interested in pvp maybe buildings like that wouldn't be necessary. But 99% of you will gank anyone on sight just because you can.

quit your bitching, as long as there are asses like you out there, there will be enclosed towns.

I feel that people should not be able to steal from towns and give it to other towns to help them start out and get away with such a weak punishment, I want there to be more harsher punishments especially with these sort of things. Just my opinion, what do you think Templar on this situation?

Templar_James

Legacy Supporter 8
I agree that stuff shouldn't look like crap, but I doubt that is the real motivation behind your post.

that's a subtle way of saying it sucks for pvp'ers because they can't get to people. If you guys would just engage people who are interested in pvp maybe buildings like that wouldn't be necessary. But 99% of you will gank anyone on sight just because you can.

quit your bitching, as long as there are asses like you out there, there will be enclosed towns.
Lawl I said suggest don't be a dick about it maybe next time say that you and a few people like hardcore pvp and that's why we can't have open towns? Also don't we have towns because it's a group effort to defend your town most people who have an enclosed town are know as the people that have no honor! lol

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Honestly - the issue is, the town leaders don't have enough power. They only have a region, with a massive area of protection. They cant entrust X areas to Y players, they have to blanket protect everything, making it easy for non-trusty players to get access to private areas.

We're hoping to fix this. @gabizou and @greatman321 will hpoefully be able to change it so the managers of townships have a SUB-region cmd to allow each player (or few players) areas of the town while the mayors/managers have an overall access.

Each sub-region will be managed by the player that was designated to build in it and non-trusted players or new players to the town wont have immediate access.

The goal here is to make townships a trusting source and a place to call your home, but not give you 100% protection from all death or loss.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
I want to know how most people feel about this map with towns. Last map was a struggle with the whole roofs/domes and the 55 block walls with towns. I believe that most towns shouldn't be allowed to do this as it is just boring and there is no rpg aspect in a building being completely closed. Why should this rule apply to some towns but not others? And how are open towns ''RPG''?

I also highly suggest that towns now must be built like how an rpg type of building would look. As In a castle, stone mountain, and or a sky castle with stairs? Just suggestions but there has to be some type of rpg element to it so it doesn't look like crap. Whether or not something is ''RPG'' is subjective. Plus, RPG =/= Medevil. Pokemon is an RPG, but should it not be because it does not feature such a theme? Plus, you're assuming that if something was build with an ''RPG'' feel, then it suddenly would not look bad. This doesn't make sense.

Not trying to be an ass but like last map we had the FC base that was completely closed off. Also the base next to FC which had an airlock that lead into a sky base and the only other way was to pillar up. These bases are just ugly to look at and ruin the point of herocraft the rpg server. Ugliness has nothing to do with whether or not gameplay is similar to that of an RPG.

Please read the above.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
I feel that people should not be able to steal from towns and give it to other towns to help them start out and get away with such a weak punishment, I want there to be more harsher punishments especially with these sort of things. Just my opinion, what do you think Templar on this situation?

Do you mean town theft from a regioned town, or stealing from one that is being built and does not have regions?

If you mean stealing from a town you have regions to, the punishment is different then it was in the past. We have been handling it a different way towards the end of last map and carrying it over to this one.

Do you mean town theft from a regioned town, or stealing from one that is being built and does not have regions?

If you mean stealing from a town you have regions to, the punishment is different then it was in the past. We have been handling it a different way towards the end of last map and carrying it over to this one.

I mean stealing from a town you have regions to, it is nice to know it is being handling differently as there was an incident with my town last map near the beginning which to be honest I felt was let of too lightly.

Reec0n

TNT
Not everyone likes to PvP being ganked by max level players isn't something that is going to keep people on HeroCraft if they're new. But for people who have been on HeroCraft for awhile already know how it works a few people get max level in no time and start killing everyone in sight.

These towns that are completely blocked off like a big ugly box for walls should at least try to make their town look decent but some people might not have the creativity to come up with a design that works to keep people out but also looks nice as well.

So I don't agree with this post at all as Kainzo himself has said before HeroCraft has never tagged itself as a PvP server but always as an RPG server so PvP is just a byproduct from players so people who don't want to PvP or like it should be able to avoid it as best as possible with their town designs.

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
I want to know how most people feel about this map with towns. Last map was a struggle with the whole roofs/domes and the 55 block walls with towns. I believe that most towns shouldn't be allowed to do this as it is just boring and there is no rpg aspect in a building being completely closed.

I also highly suggest that towns now must be built like how an rpg type of building would look. As In a castle, stone mountain, and or a sky castle with stairs? Just suggestions but there has to be some type of rpg element to it so it doesn't look like crap.

Not trying to be an ass but like last map we had the FC base that was completely closed off. Also the base next to FC which had an airlock that lead into a sky base and the only other way was to pillar up. These bases are just ugly to look at and ruin the point of herocraft the rpg server.

Do you realise that an RPG themed castle may be as closed of as any other town/dome?

I believe this discussion has been taken a lot of times, and they have already forbidden glass domes (thank god :)).
But I don't think that you being able to make a good looking town should be a requirement to make one (As what is good looking is changing from one person to another).

And you have to face it, towns are there for protection. No matter how much you restrict them to be open, there will always be possible to close yourself in.

FYI, I do absolutely agree that towns should look good, but I don't think restrict the design is the solution.

Templar_James

Legacy Supporter 8
Please read the above.

I see what you mean, but this isn't a Pokemon minecraft rpg server this server is based around magic and medieval type rpg it's the truth.
Do you realise that an RPG themed castle may be as closed of as any other town/dome?

I believe this discussion has been taken a lot of times, and they have already forbidden glass domes (thank god :)).
But I don't think that you being able to make a good looking town should be a requirement to make one (As what is good looking is changing from one person to another).

And you have to face it, towns are there for protection. No matter how much you restrict them to be open, there will always be possible to close yourself in.

FYI, I do absolutely agree that towns should look good, but I don't think restrict the design is the solution.
I agree with you to some extent there's no problem with having completely different rooms to protect yourself but I believe that your town should have like I said an rpg aspect to it.
I mean stealing from a town you have regions to, it is nice to know it is being handling differently as there was an incident with my town last map near the beginning which to be honest I felt was let of too lightly.
This thread isn't about whatever your talking about open a thread and link it to me otherwise people don't post such off topic things.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
I see what you mean, but this isn't a Pokemon minecraft rpg server this server is based around magic and medieval type rpg it's the truth.

May you please respond to everything I said in my reply and not just a small part of it? :/

It still doesn't matter if this server's form of 'RPG' consists of magic/medieval stuff. What people classify as RPG will still be subjective. I could build, say, a giant TV on a floating island and call that magical.

This thread is pretty clear cut. Town rules, I am voicing my opinion about what I feel should happen.

Templar_James

Legacy Supporter 8
May you please respond to everything I said in my reply and not just a small part of it? :/

It still doesn't matter if this server's form of 'RPG' consists of magic/medieval stuff. What people classify as RPG will still be subjective. I could build, say, a giant TV on a floating island and call that magical.
Ok I'm not saying its a rule, but there is kind of like a non spoken rule where most towns have those magical/medieval themes. Last map I believe there was only 1 town that had nothing to do with anything and It was just a floating island of dirt. I say go ahead be different if you want but it just doesn't really make sense. All I'm saying is have a nice open base and sure have private rooms that no one can get too just make your town look good I doubt anyone on HC likes looking at 50 block high walls and enclosed areas

Templar_James

Legacy Supporter 8
This thread is pretty clear cut. Town rules, I am voicing my opinion about what I feel should happen.
Kk go ahead and too answer your question I was ban for 2 weeks and If I do anything still I'll probably be perma'd so stop complaining about how it's not wasn't a sufficient ban. Unless of course you think more should of gone with it.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Ok I'm not saying its a rule, but there is kind of like a non spoken rule where most towns have those magical/medieval themes. Last map I believe there was only 1 town that had nothing to do with anything and It was just a floating island of dirt. I say go ahead be different if you want but it just doesn't really make sense. All I'm saying is have a nice open base and sure have private rooms that no one can get too just make your town look good I doubt anyone on HC likes looking at 50 block high walls and enclosed areas

You seem to be rambling a bit, jumping from one thing to another.

May you please just state, explicitly, what you want.

Templar_James

Legacy Supporter 8
You seem to be rambling a bit, jumping from one thing to another.

May you please just state, explicitly, what you want.

Kk, I want towns to not only look nice, but be open for people to view. I don't care if you have a super duper underground hideout make your town look nice so that we don't have a server with bases that have a 5x5 airlock on the surface which then leads to a dirt sky castle.

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
Expanding on @Kainzo's post above, I'm going to reply to some of the points here that I'm aiming to resolve in townships and Iknow that @Danda is going to try and resolve with some newly written town rules that are still in discussion and hopefully finished before Townships comes in full force.

Last map was a struggle with the whole roofs/domes and the 55 block walls with towns.
Last I checked, town walls couldn't be taller than 30 blocks. Plus, putting a glass wall and roof like Silvermede of last map (no offense guys, but if it wasn't so close to the map's ending, we would have asked to have it removed or remove it ourselves) isn't allowed.\

I believe that most towns shouldn't be allowed to do this as it is just boring and there is no rpg aspect in a building being completely closed.
Agreed, there isn't any sort of RPG aspect to building an entirely closed off town. Likewise, this isn't strictly an RPG server.

So everyone would have to build either wooden w/ straw roofed houses or stone forts? This isn't strictly an RPG server, it's an SMP server with RPG elements. Whether or not players are to build in line of castles, modern, or a completely different theme (as long as it's not a box and it doesn't look horrible) is up to the players building their creations.

True, while they were completely closed off, it's not illegal and towns have the choice of whether to build their town in a way that it can be explored/entered by foreigners (usually pvp raiders trying to get some free stuff and kills). Usually, if you lower the restrictions on design and have the basic idea requirements to follow, there will be towns that may blow your mind away while still keeping a complete enclosed environment.

After all this, I'd like to point out a few things that are changing in the new Townships:
- Automatic Region access removal when a citizen is kicked/audited out of the town
- Subregioning abilities granted to the mayors/managers
- An official SIC rank that will "succeed" the mayor in the event the mayor is audited/kicked/leaving the town
- Automatic Herochat channel creation, moderation and restrictions (non members/guests can not join the channel)
- Automatic Region upgrades to a configurable point polygon region forming a circle (36 point polygon region forming the shape of a circle currently)
- Alongside with some of the pre-existing features of HeroTowns (though Townships is a complete rewrite of HeroTowns from scratch, so it's taking a little longer than just updating HeroTowns).

teddytazer

Soulsand
I agree with the no-giant cubes idea. Seeing people's towns turn into impenetrable boxes makes little sense considering each chest can be dirt blocked for safety inside towns. If they want safety from pvp, install panic rooms under your town or houses.