• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Town cost changes

Aryios

Senior Architect
Architect
Currently town taxes in my opinion are very expensive, It cost 10c per chunk on a daily basis. I'm not very fond of this new system because I feel like we won't be able to get towns as big as we used to. I feel like towns will be less creative this map because of how limited you are with space, If you want to make it bigger your going to be paying out the arse.

The pvp groups benefit from this system a lot more than builders and pve players of the server. They only need a single chunk to store all of the loot they get from killing other people. I know not all the groups are going to be doing this but they will try to keep their towns as small as possible.

Hamlets were a 75 radius in a ring or box so that is 150 blocks across, taxes for hamlets were around 250c per week. With towny you get a much smaller scale town that cost more coins.
Older town were used as money sinks for the players to work towards.

So heres what I suggest

1: Change daily taxes to weekly taxes and maybe tweak the cost of taxes

2: Change claiming new chunks of land to be more expensive like 1k - 1.5k so you have some sort of money sink for towns.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Agreed. The largest town on the server at the moment is around 150x100 blocks in size, at best, and it has an upkeep of 520s. It's not even as big as hamlets were in previous maps yet it costs nearly 15 times as much per week.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We can't / wont be changing taxes to be 7 days, the server ticks once a day, this is for lag purposes.

What we stated in-game was completely ignored. You can (and should) tax citizens. This is 10c a chunk per day and a citizen can make 50c+ with voting 3 times a day.

The tax calculations are being looked at, so there will be changes to the system soon.

Aryios

Senior Architect
Architect
We can't / wont be changing taxes to be 7 days, the server ticks once a day, this is for lag purposes.

What we stated in-game was completely ignored. You can (and should) tax citizens. This is 10c a chunk per day and a citizen can make 50c+ with voting 3 times a day.

The tax calculations are being looked at, so there will be changes to the system soon.
I made this thread before you told us about this in O chat, So it was not ignored.

MajorasMask

Ungodly

But why are town taxes so much higher now than they were in the past?

In previous maps a town of around 9x9 chunks in size had an upkeep of 250s a week. A town of that size today would cost 5670s a week, which probably wasn't even the weekly cost of running a kingdom back then. Why has there suddenly been such a massive rise in town taxes?

I want to see towns like this on the server:

mOUVnI7.png

5YnslEV.png

I want to build awesome towns like this.

In the time being people are going to be confined to building small little shacks within the boundaries of their town to prevent people from griefing. The server simply isn't active enough for a ''just tax your citizens and vote'' approach to work.

spiralz

Obsidian
Yeah, in my experience, town members to be taxed aren't trustworthy enough to keep coin in the bank and staying active on the server enough to help a town in the long run. The town's tax ends up just being a burden for the mayor to handle alone.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
While it is steep and I would like to see the costs reduced, I have sorta been put on the fence with it.

Alun is currently at 52 chunks or just about previous map hamlet size. It costs us 520coins per day, so compared to previous maps, that's 10x more for the same amount of space(previous townships were bedrock to ceiling so yes, the size is about the same. The cost to purchase is about the same as well, previously hamlets were about 5k to start so it's right in the same ballpark. Townships also no longer CREATE money as they did in previous maps. Last map your township actually created money into the game world, this map the township only takes money from the players that created it through their own work.

Something that has changed though is item cost. We no longer have to gathers two thousand of this and two thousand of that, so even though the purchase cost is the same in coins, the amount of work that it takes to start a township is greatly reduced.

I do not believe this reduction is a good thing, it's always been a challenge gathering the materials to upgrade a township and a fun goal to work towards, over just gathering money(It's a lot easier to get people to donate blocks then it is money)

Now that that was all said, I will say I believe the town tax is manageable at the hamlet size, even though it's so much higher then before(We need to stop comparing it to old maps as hard as that may be and start thinking about how it can be used this map.) 500 coins is about one hour of average mining, so with one hour of labor a day it's sustainable and I feel that's fair, but as the township grows that cost soars, up to capitol at around 4,500 coins(9 hours of player time) a day which is just not acceptable or doable. Since townships don't generate money, if you had 50 active players, you would have to tax them all 90 coins a day, and that's currently half the active server population. As the server fills up and we start seeing 200 active players regularly that could be possible, but at this time it's just not.

Best case scenario, would be to allow townships to pay taxes in blocks, which would give value to each block and allow new players to sell their blocks to townships that don't want to have to mine blocks, and allow townships that don't want to pay for their township with coins to mine blocks as it used to be. Also, the tax rate of townships should decrease as the townships get larger Starting at 10 and reducing by 1 for every 15 chunks down to a minimum of 4, which would put a capitol paying 1,000 coins a day instead of 4,500 coins, which is actually sustainable with today's player base.

@Kainzo - I know this would be up to our friendly Towny developer, but I am just saying best case.
Best example of township payment methods:
Base daily coin cost of of a 50 chunk(hamlet) township.

• 500 Coins a day
This daily cost can be reduced by depositing at least a full stack of the following blocks(there should be enough blocks types to deposit to completely offset townships of size up to 250 chunks so players could completely pay for their towns upkeep in blocks.)
  • 50 coins for a stack of Obsidian
  • 25 coins for a stack of Hey bales
  • 25 coins for a stack of Clay blocks.
By expanding the Township banks, players could deposit the various blocks into the bank and when taxes are removed, it would check for full stacks of the various blocks, and then reduce the coins payment by whatever number is in the bank while removing whatever stacks are used. It should only use one stack a day of each type to promote gathering of all types of materials.

Last edited: