• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Taking a look at Wizard's popularity.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
or how about we eliminate town raids all together? zzzzzzzzzz

Read the thread? Are you talking about all of those spire raids I have heard so much about? Or are you pointing out the fact that wizards zip around the map with their parties, to the point where walking is no longer a part of raiding?

Edit: kainzo has answered that utility ports will be staying.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Wizard is high utility due to ports and so forth - this is an intended thing.

I don't remember any actions that the server has had to make to prevent a class from being "over-represented" on the server, so I started where I thought I could trim without rocking the boat too much. Oh well.

And do the staff think that wizard could be approaching over-representation? Do we need to think about it?

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
I don't remember any actions that the server has had to make to prevent a class from being "over-represented" on the server, so I started where I thought I could trim without rocking the boat too much. Oh well.

And do the staff think that wizard could be approaching over-representation? Do we need to think about it?
I agree with the concept of over-representation. Something is wrong when you have 15% of the server being wizards.

A

alexhoff1

I'm just going to say, no?

if you're basing it off of "popularity" you will notice that there is no wizard in top 10 pvp who is able to hold that rank, which makes it NOT as competitive in pvp as you are suggesting if you take into account the "popularity"

other than that, spire ports are probably the only reason some towns exist.. who would want to walk to towns like oakenshire to raid, and with no wizards in there town who would walk that distance with valuables to join it?

really I think this would hurt towns in general, probably make it more spawn based for a map.

I say no to this suggestion, though I would like the idea of lowering the ammount of wizards in general, this is not the way to do it.

arcanegrove

Obsidian
I find this very much like the dragoons thread in DG. Dragoon was the most popular class in DG, but is wasn't because of PvP, the uses of jump, and having a very decent amount of armor, made it a well balanced class, while still keeping the utility.

I would rather see more utility in more classes, then less in others.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
I'm just going to say, no?

if you're basing it off of "popularity" you will notice that there is no wizard in top 10 pvp who is able to hold that rank, which makes it NOT as competitive in pvp as you are suggesting if you take into account the "popularity"

other than that, spire ports are probably the only reason some towns exist.. who would want to walk to towns like oakenshire to raid, and with no wizards in there town who would walk that distance with valuables to join it?

really I think this would hurt towns in general, probably make it more spawn based for a map.

I say no to this suggestion, though I would like the idea of lowering the ammount of wizards in general, this is not the way to do it.
As I've said - /pvp top is completely arbitrary. Do NOT use it as an example/comparison when you're talking about class balance.

Otherwise, as a long time wizard, how do you see fit to lower the amount of wizards on the map? It's come to an excessive point.

A

alexhoff1

As I've said - /pvp top is completely arbitrary. Do NOT use it as an example/comparison when you're talking about class balance.

Otherwise, as a long time wizard, how do you see fit to lower the amount of wizards on the map? It's come to an excessive point.

some way to counter the use of it in towns.
the main reason it's so popular is because of full party raids (GTPing) and ports for townies. So, some way to counter one or the other probably.

arcanegrove

Obsidian
I would rather make other classes more appealing then make wizard less. I think that wizards are a nice spot right now, sure they have great burst, and mobility, and utility, but its a kind of special difference from the norm, i think that its popular because its a good solo class, making nice for people who like to fought alpine.

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8
Wizard is better than the 3 other caster classes in both PvP, and utility. That is why people go Wizard instead of the other caster classes.

Wizard stacks up poorly in duels against the other 3 caster classes. Piggify stops a wizard from using any spells and has a long range. Thus you have to eat a plaguebomb and a fireball.

Pyro has kick, and massive axe damage on top of wither and fireblast.

Necro has poison, which breaks root, and is also significantly tankier than wizard, especially with drainsoul healing a necro up.

I'm not saying that wizard is a bad class, but to say that it is better than the 3 other caster classes is very much a stretch.

Part of the reason wizard is so represented is because there are a number of people who also choose the class for non-pvp reasons.

A

alexhoff1

Wizard stacks up poorly in duels against the other 3 caster classes. Piggify stops a wizard from using any spells and has a long range. Thus you have to eat a plaguebomb and a fireball.

Necro has poison, which breaks root, and is also significantly tankier than wizard, especially with drainsoul healing a necro up.

I'm not saying that wizard is a bad class, but to say that it is better than the 3 other caster classes is very much a stretch.

Part of the reason wizard is so represented is because there are a number of people who also choose the class for non-pvp reasons.

couldn't say it better.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
I will admit that the only reason I have been a wizard on DG and bastion is for blink and port. I hate walking places.

Nightroado

Obsidian
I went wizard even though I was a Dragoon. Why? Ports. Pulse. That's it.

I wanted ports so I could transport goods/people safely and pulse so I can AoE cattle with a looting sword. No plans to pvp, I enjoy my role in Rapture as a builder, farmer, and support. I -really- miss having jump and tumble though. I also miss the hp/armor/weapon damage too but to a far lesser extent.

If there was a support class that had the severe transportation advantages of a wizard, I would be that instead. But this is the closest I can do. If wizards were randomly stripped of ports, I would just go back to dragoon for jump, tumble, and super jump since they are so handy when building.

I really would like to see a more pure utility/support class that focused on helping others in non-pvp ways though.

Scycor

Legacy Supporter 3
Then maybe some of their PvP skills should do less damage/cost more, to make other caster specifications more competitive.
I don't think that is a good idea. Wizards are balanced as they are, they just have the most utility making them more appealing. Even Kainzo has said it, that is the way it's intended to be... Think of it this way, last map there we so many Dragoons but now look, it has shifted into Wizards. Over time there will be another class that is really popular. I say, let people like what they want.

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
The only reason I play wizard is because I think it's fun and efficient. It's fun watching a lightning bolt hitting the ground, it's fun watching fireworks go off, it's fun shooting fireballs at players and it's fun to blink around my town. Yeah the great damage is a bonus, but they also can't take any real damage.

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2

I'm not going to bother making arguments about balance, we've seen where that gets me.
So ok, let's take this over to facts. In Zeal wizard was a poor PvP class, but it had the same utility. Yet, there were only three master wizards on the map(or just 3 wizards in general), me, Domitius and Tunderjolt.

Now, in Bastion, the class is slightly above average at PvP - and whoops, there's 3-10 of them online at all times.

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
I'm not going to bother making arguments about balance, we've seen where that gets me.
So ok, let's take this over to facts. In Zeal wizard was a poor PvP class, but it had the same utility. Yet, there were only three master wizards on the map(or just 3 wizards in general), me, Domitius and Tunderjolt.

Now, in Bastion, the class is slightly above average at PvP - and whoops, there's 3-10 of them online at all times.
The big difference between zeal and now, as I see it:
In zeal it ment something if you ever mastered a combat class, and if you was a crafter spec you would always have stuff to do..
As it is now, when I see people master classes I think "well, I guess he grinded some hours lately".

A

alexhoff1

uh, I was a wizard in zeal... did a lot of raiding but didn't even bother to master :L

though, in zeal wizard was the BEST class, due to root doing 33 damage if you let it break on its on, bolt w/o a warmup, and fireball. It has shifted to more skill usage in general now, which means it takes longer to do the damage that it used to have.

there are only a few wizards who use this for pvp purposes

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
I felt like the only master geomancer because almost all the skills were broken/really ify. :(