• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [Staff] Return Items in Region Abuse

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Sorry but we do not discuss bans with the community. If a ban appeal is posted the details are placed there, we will not discuss it otherwise.
It'd be helpful to be more open about these things to avoid lasting repercussions (in terms of community fallout).

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
It'd be helpful to be more open about these things to avoid lasting repercussions (in terms of community fallout).
Lasting repercussions?
We've run the server like this for 2 years. Why is it suddenly a problem now?

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Like I said, it is Kainzo's rule, go to bitch to him and get off our backs.
I hadn't even said anything between the time you tagged me in your original post and then posted the same message here... :confused:
Lasting repercussions?
We've run the server like this for 2 years. Why is it suddenly a problem now?
Because it's not "suddenly a problem now". Whenever stuff like this happens, there has been consistent fallout of players due to inactivity or flat out quitting due to issues like this. You guys may not notice it as much as staff, but as a community leader I certainly do. You look at Rapture, Newerth, Oblivion, Trophaeum. All of them same deal.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
I hadn't even said anything between the time you tagged me in your original post and then posted the same message here... :confused:

Because it's not "suddenly a problem now". Whenever stuff like this happens, there has been consistent fallout of players due to inactivity or flat out quitting due to issues like this. You guys may not notice it as much as staff, but as a community leader I certainly do. You look at Rapture, Newerth, Oblivion, Trophaeum. All of them same deal.

I have no issue informing the community of bans and how long they are. I say advertise the bans, but the rule states that we do not discuss bans with the community.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter

I'm not talking about the missing items anymore because you went off on a tangent about punishments. They've mostly left at least from what I understand because of lost items not because they don't know what the punishment was.

Nightroado

Obsidian
THIS is the problem with the community atm tbh you guys complain about nothing getting done but you guys don't report shit. Now I'm not saying it's just you but I keep hearing this from people. If you guys don't report stuff surprisingly we don't know about it.

The reason why I never reported it is because of previous experiences from past petitions giving results that I didn't expect or disappointed me. I've taken on the mindset of expecting nothing to come from petitions so I avoid the disappointment I experience half the time. I am not blaming the staff, I know you guys work hard, but the way things seem to pan out just kills the hope I had in the petition system.

So no, it's because things aren't reported, it's because past experience has taught me that petitioning is not a reliable way to get anything resolved. I feel like a dog that has been trained to not eat the doggy treat balanced on my nose. I've been conditioned to not expect proper results from petitions.

Same for public chat. I was rarely in public chat channels aside from trade because it is so frustrating to be chastised because I unwittingly say a internet e-bonics (<--Edit: Stuff like this too) or when I was both banned and muted for accidentally pressing a macro button. I felt like public channels were "unsafe" and if I were to use them, I had to keep my guard up. It felt so unfriendly to be in that I usually avoided it altogether. I'm not telling anyone how to run things, but if I had a server, I wouldn't want anyone to feel that way.

I would rather things be altered to prevent the need for petitions in the first place. Would make the server a much more enjoyable experience and would at least halve the work of those who answer the petitions.

Basically this thread has been about one issue, town protection, but essentially the flow of conversation has been about the flaws in "the system" that cause player frustration which leads to people quitting. I realize that the fixes we ask for will not all be implemented and those that are agreed upon will take months to be developed. Which is why I am trying to hold out for next map. I want to play now, but I am hoping by then things will be smoothed over. From what I understand, drastic improvements have been made between last map and this one. So I am banking on the same happening by then.

Here's hoping.

20090916_fingers_crossed.jpg

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
So no, it's because things aren't reported, it's because past experience has taught me that petitioning is not a reliable way to get anything resolved.
If you come to me with an in-game problem in any other way than a petition I will just ignore you & tell you to make a petition unless it is absolutely urgent e.g. someone obviously hacking. It is the only way I will handle this because it provides a record of what happened & provides a teleport location at the creation site so that if anyone questions anything I've done they have a location to go and check over my work to see what I saw.

Same for public chat. I was rarely in public chat channels aside from trade because it is so frustrating to be chastised because I unwittingly say a internet e-bonics (<--Edit: Stuff like this too) or when I was both banned and muted for accidentally pressing a macro button. I felt like public channels were "unsafe" and if I were to use them, I had to keep my guard up. It felt so unfriendly to be in that I usually avoided it altogether. I'm not telling anyone how to run things, but if I had a server, I wouldn't want anyone to feel that way.
If you were to speak in plain English you would never have an issue with being muted in chat. I have been on the server for almost two and a half years and have not been muted once and I've only become upper staff within the last 7-8 months so that's about a year and a half without being muted and being heavily active in chat. I can't possibly see why people have these issues where they're scared to speak in chat for fear of being muted. It's simple speak in plain English and listen to warnings given by staff following this you will never have a problem. Even if something is a internet e-bonics if it is the proper response to a statement or question will be ignored. The point in the rule is to avoid stupid responses like "u mad bro" or "do you even lift?" this is the kind of stupidity we want people to avoid.
Basically this thread has been about one issue, town protection, but essentially the flow of conversation has been about the flaws in "the system" that cause player frustration which leads to people quitting. I realize that the fixes we ask for will not all be implemented and those that are agreed upon will take months to be developed. Which is why I am trying to hold out for next map. I want to play now, but I am hoping by then things will be smoothed over. From what I understand, drastic improvements have been made between last map and this one. So I am banking on the same happening by then.
Petitions will not be going anywhere and we have had them around for as long as I have been here on the server. Petitions are merely a tool for logging the location and nature of a problem. Your issue though you choose not to admit it is with the way staff handles issues not the petitions themselves. We run on a system where we not ban someone straight off the bat if it's a first offence unless they've actually done something severe, we've found the majority of people will see the warning and realise they've just fucked up will read over the rules and about 60-70% of people I see will not offend again. Now with repeat offenders we deal with them more severely. Regardless of whether action is taken against a user EVERY petition related to a user breaking rules is recorded and filed inside their player folder. While we may not act on them initially they're taken into account in future decisions. However this becomes a flawed system when users do not report problems to us because while not every petition and rule break will result in a ban they are taken into account with all future issues and will more than likely come to bite the user in the ass later down the line.

Nightroado

Obsidian

I'm not sure how to reply to this. It's just the same kind of stuff I hear time and again. It's not like I sent messages to staff instead of making petitions. And it's not like I am the only one who get frustrated with public channel stuffs, there is an entire thread dedicated to just that. I understand why you do things the way you do, there was never a need to 'defend' it.

But regardless of the 'what' and the 'why,' I am still frustrated by the results and it still prevents me from playing due to those frustrations. This isn't all the reasons I do not play, but it is a part of them. Explaining things isn't going to alleviate the frustrations. Nor will it correct the idea that petitions are unreliable. I will still say I much rather things be adjusted so that the situations don't happen in the first place and save everyone around a lot of time and effort.

Still, I thank you for talking it out with me and doing your best to explain it. And I am glad to hear things aren't as bad as I have grown to assume. At this point, I don't see how our back and forth will yield any progress. It seems like little to no change will come of it and just discussing what will never be would be nothing more than mental masturbation.