• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [Staff] Return Items in Region Abuse

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
It's been a long time since I've dared to touch upon region abuse. With the recent hit on Rapture, every single chest destroyed and all items burned, I'm sick and tired of the uselessness of staff action on region abuse. Banning players that do the deed does NOT prevent players in the towns hit from quitting. It is not nearly satisfying, especially for if only for a week.

For example - last map, tons of people in my town Oblivion quit after it was ransacked by Diffuse and others. This map, some new arses cleaned out Rapture and many members quit and or went inactive (like Nightroado :( ).

I don't see the point in not returning items lost in region abuse. The people that stole them anyways would be banned, so it's not like there would be two "copies" or dupes of the items in the system. It's as simple as checking the logs to see what was stolen and replacing all lost items. Heck, rolling back the chests could even work.

My final, and probably most concerning point, is that region abuse is NOT hardcore. There is nothing "hardcore" about getting screwed by someone in your own town region and losing all of your stuff. Sure, you can say "Oh, just get LWCs because it's too much of a hassle to return things," but that discounts all of the goddamn effort people put into collecting items over prolonged periods of time.

Items need to be returned. I just don't see why not.

TrueCorruptor Eldrylars Jmandudeguy Jacobpanther EtKEnn MajorasMask

dragonzero39

Legacy Supporter 7
leftovers5, I am just curious on a scale of one to ten how bad the grief was. I offer my condolences and I am still an enemy to LO but if someone is ever griefing or breaking game behavior for their gain or satisfaction, I will come to help you. I hope you guys didn't lose too much.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
leftovers5, I am just curious on a scale of one to ten how bad the grief was. I offer my condolences and I am still an enemy to LO but if someone is ever griefing or breaking game behavior for their gain or satisfaction, I will come to help you. I hope you guys didn't lose too much.
All non-lwc chests were broken/destroyed and items burned, and the dragon was griefed pretty badly.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Here is how ''Copying'' works:

Player A (An alt account), steals all items from Player B. They move them to a seperate chest far away.

Player B (Who owns the alt), complains to the admin. The admin replaces all the items lost, and bans player A. Player B then goes to his secret chest and doubles his items.

I do not know how to prevent this, or to deal with it.

As for region abuse in general, something on this scale should definitly be worth a ban more than a week. At times like these I think it's stupid that we have a:
  • First warning: Player receives a warning.
  • Second warning: Player receives a 3-day suspension.
  • Third warning: Player receives a 1-week suspension.
  • Fourth warning: Player receives a 1-month suspension.
  • Fifth warning: Player receives a permanent ban.
What's the point in giving people, who do such things, second chances when they have caused so much damage to a server community (Rapture, D101, Lorien, Communist Collective.... the list goes on...).

LightningCape

Holy Shit!

Player A (An alt account), steals all items from Player B. They move them to a seperate chest far away.

Player B (Who owns the alt), complains to the admin. The admin replaces all the items lost, and bans player A. Player B then goes to his secret chest and doubles his items.

Actualy I think block check could be used for this. If people report stolen item and it's found that the same person is using all the chests in the town it would be fair to say that they've been steeling. This would only be possible if Mayors had this ability as people often get frustrated with the fact the admins/mods aren't able to help them with every single little problem, they're busy

Edit-
Poor
Nightroado =(

Royfaren

Legacy Supporter 6

I do not know how to prevent this, or to deal with it.

As for region abuse in general, something on this scale should definitly be worth a ban more than a week. At times like these I think it's stupid that we have a:
  • First warning: Player receives a warning.
  • Second warning: Player receives a 3-day suspension.
  • Third warning: Player receives a 1-week suspension.
  • Fourth warning: Player receives a 1-month suspension.
  • Fifth warning: Player receives a permanent ban.
What's the point in giving people, who do such things, second chances when they have caused so much damage to a server community (Rapture, D101, Lorien, Communist Collective.... the list goes on...).
Well, in a serious case like this, first how many people were involved?
Also, if the grief is so bad, the player shouldn't receive normal punishment.
About the copying, it's pretty easy to see an alt, isn't it?

iGavinnn

Legacy Supporter 8
I honestly do feel so bad about what happened. I feel like it could have been prevented but I am in no way blaming anyone except who did it.

Please do not take anything I am about to say as an attack.

Things that could be done to prevent this:

-Towns should be more careful who they allow in their region. (Make sub-zones possibly?)
-LWC whenever possible.

What could possibly happen if items are returned:

-If items were returned it is still possible for the items to show up, for example things could have been placed in chest that someone could stumble upon.

The amount of grief that was done would take a lot of log checking to find exactly what, who, when, and so many other varibles happened.

I agree the ban these people are recieving is no where near harsh enough. A different approach needs to be taken here.

In the end I feel like that staff should not restore the items. I am not blaming anyone but more precausions could have been taken. How long did you guys know these people before you allowed them in your town? How long were they on the server? Did they know anyone in your town prior to joining?

For future reference I think these questions should be considered before accepting someone. This should apply to all towns.

Again sorry for what happened I just do not see the staff changing their mind on this. I wish you the best of luck.

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
Honestly, region abuse should be a permanent ban instantly. Its not something you do accidentally and what you could be forgiven for. I didnt lose much of my items in the region abuse on Oblivion last map, but it was enough to make me realize that shit like that shouldnt happen. To all the people who just say "Buy LWCs so you dont lose your stuff", what is the fucking point in joining a town for protection (as everyone advertises), when you cant even trust your townmates enough to hope that you dont get robbed out of everything? Are you meant to spent thousands of coins (which you might not even have) just to have few chests protected from people who cant follow the rules, and then get banned for 1 week, after which they can possibly repeat the abuse.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
For those who say ''Get LWCs'', we have them. Sometimes they arn't enough.

Why not reintroduce mayor-LWCs.....?

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
For those who say ''Get LWCs'', we have them. Sometimes they arn't enough.

Why not reintroduce mayor-LWCs.....?

+1 for that. I was just about to suggest it when I read this post. :p

Anyways, it really sucks that this has happened yet again and I understand your frustration LO. :(

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Honestly, I'm not happy with the current town system - but at the same time, it shouldn't offer ultimate protection that devalues personal regions / chest protections.

I think a limited number of LWC's granted to the mayor / manager rank would be nice - maybe have them severely discounted cost.

Not sure how to logically add this to HeroTowns without assistance from LWC dev and Sleaker.

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
Region abuse should have 2 punishments - 1 week ban for stealing a couple things (new players not knowing better) and perma ban for what happened to Rapture.

As for whether or not to return the items that's hard to say. I understand why people would quit the game after losing everything they had - and lwcs are not the answer as unless you are a donor you get 3 chest lwcs (I believe) and I personally have 12+ chests in my house for my stuff and they are not lwc'd - can't afford it. There has to be some solution here. Going through the log to verify every individual item would take a lot of admin time and isn't the solution, but losing active players due to some one else being an asshole should be avoided at all costs. There has to be a middle ground.

Perhaps increase the number of lwc chests allowed AND lowering the price for lwcs within a city region. Or allow each town member free lwcs - enforced by the town council. Or even give each city x free lwcs for town storage - the larger the town the more lwc you get.

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
Perhaps increase the number of lwc chests allowed AND lowering the price for lwcs within a city region. Or allow each town member free lwcs - enforced by the town council. Or even give each city x free lwcs for town storage - the larger the town the more lwc you get.
How about making it so town Mayors get an amount of free LWCs usable inside their town's regions, and the amount would depend on what stage (Hamlet, Town, City, etc.) the town is on?

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
Sub-regions would prevent almost every instance of greifing that could happen. ;)
New town members get regions to the entrances, farms and their house. Architects/managers get regions to the build areas, mayor gets all regions.
Maybe allow a 10x10 personal residence for non donors at a cost of 3x the price of a donor?

archceaser

Legacy Supporter 7
Sub-regions would prevent almost every instance of greifing that could happen. ;)
New town members get regions to the entrances, farms and their house. Architects/managers get regions to the build areas, mayor gets all regions.
Maybe allow a 10x10 personal residence for non donors at a cost of 3x the price of a donor?
This is why i like how towny works.

Royfaren

Legacy Supporter 6
Region abuse should have 2 punishments - 1 week ban for stealing a couple things (new players not knowing better) and perma ban for what happened to Rapture.

As for whether or not to return the items that's hard to say. I understand why people would quit the game after losing everything they had - and lwcs are not the answer as unless you are a donor you get 3 chest lwcs (I believe) and I personally have 12+ chests in my house for my stuff and they are not lwc'd - can't afford it. There has to be some solution here. Going through the log to verify every individual item would take a lot of admin time and isn't the solution, but losing active players due to some one else being an asshole should be avoided at all costs. There has to be a middle ground.

The thing about having the two punishments is that it doesn't scare people off. You could have it where any region abuse is at least a 1 month ban if not permanent. The point of the punishments is to scare people off, and they should be inflicted, no matter how great the damage done.
As for subregions, if they're possible, they'd be the best solution. Eldrylars summed that up well.
Last, if those aren't possible, how about some kind of town vault where each member has slots? Is that possible? Perhaps an upgrade for a town?

dragonzero39

Legacy Supporter 7
Idea...
Allow all mayors a vault, similar to supporter vaults (Removed/Replaced with supporter regions.) , it must be made inside the towns regions, and varies in size. Small towns get a 10x10x5. Medium get a 10x10x10 and large get a 15x15x10. Mayors control who gets in and out.