• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Since there will be a pve server soon... (Haven Regions Idea)

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
Is there any chance of taking another look at that region destruction / regeneration mod discussed last map and how it could apply to Haven town and personal regions? Reason I am asking is I know all the pve map rules ideas are not laid out in full, but personally I think it would be cool if people who really dont like pvp could build towns there and just do basically everything they desire on the pve map. BUT . . . if we do that, I think it would be pretty awesome to make Haven towns and personal regions fully destructible by anyone, with the caveat that damage / additions made by people not part of that region will repair / despawn after a short period (say 2-5 mins or so). This would really bring raiding and world pvp back into the server, while giving towns complete creative freedom to make whatever they want because its all equally raidable really.

There are three major issues with this idea:

1) Chest protection. Dirt on chest would no longer serve a function, so before this went into effect, towns would need to be given a very large number of town LWC purchase options to protect truly valuable things. I am thinking like 100 chests for hamlet, expanding up from there. This would also help with town theft by town members as the town owner can limit who has access to what chests. Town LWC should be much cheaper (maybe 50s a chest?) but can only be placed within town regions.

2) Animal and villager protection. It can be a real pain in the ass building up any kind of villager / animal farm production. I have heard requests in past to just make animals drop much larger quantities of materials when killed, though this wouldnt really help with sheep. Villagers . . . i have no idea how this could be made not a huge pain. Is it possible to have villagers added to a monster spawn table only for town regioned areas? so they would just randomly spawn in your town limits lol.

3) The change would be coming out after many towns have already spent significant time and effort building things on haven. I could see many people being upset with such a change, but then again I anticipate some people who dont really like pvp will be moving to the pve server regardless. Any big change to regions like this should definitely be based on broad community feedback, so if this idea is universally panned, probably not the best idea lol.

Ultimately, I dont even know what happened to the tnt / region regeneration mod that was being discussed a few months ago, but if its still in the works, the addition of the pve map would be a good time to re-assess its viability.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
1) If you can't *place* TNT in a regioned area, it will be very difficult to just knock the dirt off of a chest without destroying the chest also. With this plugin, if the chest gets destroyed, it will later respawn with all of its original contents. If you have the surgical precision to knock the dirt block off the top of a chest without destroying the chest, using a TNT cannon, then you deserve to loot the chest.

2) Make obsidian houses for animals/villagers. This really just plays into #3.

3) This gives people something to do :)

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
1) I like the idea of a TnT Cannon being able to blow holes in town's walls, structures, etc,,, provided it regrows automatically within a reasonable time frame - less than 5 minutes. As for Dakinara's suggestion about giving the town lots of town LWCs, you could avoid the whole problem there with making each town have a 'Bank'. This bank can only be a certain size (depending on the town size) and is immune to destruction. The owner(s) of the town get set as owners of the bank and can set permissions to it like a personal residence. That way each town has a small safe area for materials but the rest of the town is raidable. With skill, town members can fit a lot of chests into a small Bank vault and then there is the problem of enlarging it without raiders finding out :)

2) Animals are a pet peeve of mine (since I'm a farmer) but really if you're dumb enough to keep your animals near the edges of your town where a TnT cannon can expose them, then the raiders get to slaughter them. Now villagers are a different matter - they are different to acquire on the best of terms.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
Well you see . .. i was not only really talking about pvp cannons. I was curious if the mod could be made to where anyone can remove / place blocks in regions, but only people who are part of that town / region can make permanent changes - all others would regenerate / dissapear in 5 mins or so.

I guess i really didnt know if the mod being worked on was like a plugin specifically for tnt cannons, or if it was being built from the ground up and it might be possible to make regions regenerate from any changes. Id be more in favor of the second if its possible, but I dont know whats possible lol.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Well you see . .. i was not only really talking about pvp cannons. I was curious if the mod could be made to where anyone can remove / place blocks in regions, but only people who are part of that town / region can make permanent changes - all others would regenerate / dissapear in 5 mins or so.

I guess i really didnt know if the mod being worked on was like a plugin specifically for tnt cannons, or if it was being built from the ground up and it might be possible to make regions regenerate from any changes. Id be more in favor of the second if its possible, but I dont know whats possible lol.

That's an interesting idea... I do like the idea of needing TNT to do this, though. Just being able to get out an uberpick and tunnel right into a city doesn't seem hard enough.

What WOULD be cool is if you could bypass the town regions thing to specifically allow anyone to place TNT anywhere. This would remove the need for TNT cannons, and I think it would be more fun. You'd be able to be more surgical. This would make dirt-blocked chests less effective, and encourage the further use of LWCs and/or obsidian "safe" rooms. Maybe admins could make a rule that you can't just make your town a big obsidian block - that you can only have specific "vaults" that you are allowed to make obsidian boxes (e.g. one town vault for chests/materials storage, one town vault for farm animals, and one vault for villagers).

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
if this happens, town cost would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY lowered... people pay for regions as protection, not for someone to just walk in.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
well, there will be a pve server... you could build town on pve server to avoid any and all pvp if want total protection of town. The current town system is just very anti - pvp imo. If we are going to have a pve server, that allows transfer of characters and money back and forth, may as well make the haven map more dangerous to where there is really no truly "safe" place outside of spawn and graveyards / herogates. Then people could in some ways take over enemy towns, even if just temporary / without any built in plugin, etc, required.

Anyways, I think i am also kind of in agreement now that region areas should only be destructible by tnt rather than everything, but would really love if anyone could at least place tnt in regions to make the method more precise. Tnt Cannons feel like they will continue the current issue of a right and wrong way to build a town, which really cuts down on the possibilities for town building. also, tnt placement would need to become accessible to all classes / professions, rather than just miner (miner should get increased souls from mining, if possible, to offset).

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
if this happens, town cost would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY lowered... people pay for regions as protection, not for someone to just walk in.
This ^

A simpler solution would be simply to remove regions altogether. What's really the point of them if people can and will just get in? A that point, LWCs are the only things keeping you safe, and that only protects your possessions.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
This ^

A simpler solution would be simply to remove regions altogether. What's really the point of them if people can and will just get in? A that point, LWCs are the only things keeping you safe, and that only protects your possessions.
The point is that even if someone wants to grief your town, they can't. They can TNT it to hell, but it will just regen shortly thereafter. Without regions, each grief incident will have to be PE'd and go through that channel of resolution, which can take time and carries no guarantee of resolution.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Do you pay for protection of YOURSELF or of the beautiful structure you put all of your work into? If you're only paying to protect yourself, then we will soon have a warm, safe, fuzzy PVE server that you can flee to.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
The point is that even if someone wants to grief your town, they can't. They can TNT it to hell, but it will just regen shortly thereafter. Without regions, each grief incident will have to be PE'd and go through that channel of resolution, which can take time and carries no guarantee of resolution.

exactly, region regen would make raiding more practical / increase world pvp without allowing true griefing,

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
I agree that there should be siege warfare, with TnT cannons and such, but not players breaking blocks. paying the total of 7000 souls and 400 souls a week + materials for a hamlet seems like alot for a region that only exists to let people build without fear of griefing (which in haven is illegal anyway).

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
Do you pay for protection of YOURSELF or of the beautiful structure you put all of your work into? If you're only paying to protect yourself, then we will soon have a warm, safe, fuzzy PVE server that you can flee to.
You pay for both.

exactly, region regen would make raiding more practical / increase world pvp without allowing true griefing,
True griefing is not allowed. Yes, each PE would need to be handled, but that's what the PE system is for.

There is no sense in even having regions if they cannot protect your things and your person. It will devolve to LWCs for valuables (and then the other stuff that can't/doesn't fit into LWCs can just be stolen for the sake of stealing or just burned to relieve others of them), and the PVE world for personal safety. When players complain about being killed at low levels and being camped, everyone's answer is join a town, they are safer. Allowing anyone access to towns eliminates that entirely. If anything, you'd just be segregating people even more, as the PVE world becomes more and more appealing as protections are eliminated from Haven.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
but the plan is to more or less let people switch freely from pve to pvp, you just cant carry items over back and forth. So both worlds will have a purpose if Haven became really pvp centric.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
From what I've gathered, the point of this split is so that there's a world that has no PvP, not to have a world made for PvP.
Haven is meant to be higher risk, higher reward. (And possibly exclusive features, but not sure.)

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
well i am casting a vote for increasing the pvp on haven since there will be another option lol. Just one opinion but putting it out there.

Besides, the tnt region stuff was already in progress last map. Dunno if was dropped for technical or popularity reasons, but would be fun to try and bring back once pve launches

Last edited: