• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Shaman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
Its known that Kain wants to pump out some new classes and the first in line is Shaman. The only thing I know that is desired for sure, is physical totems. We should discuss what everyone feels is needed in this class as well as how we can make it unique.

Some things I would personally like to see is to have it more melee based (Axe for a weapon maybe?) With multiple totems that add boosts to hp, mana and stam regen.

@Kainzo if you wanna toss out some of the ideas you had, we can toss around some theory and eventually toy with it on test.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
I agree with the axe idea. In terms of totems, maybe spawn Pumpkins that emanate aura buffs and or debuffs.
Ex: HealAuraTotem gives +3 hp/s for those in the Shaman's party in a 40 block radius
FieryTotem deals 15 dmg/s for those in a 30 block radius
etc.

Licksterboy

Legacy Supporter 3
The thing that scares me is that it might become too much like bard. I feel like shaman should have a few skills that give a buff/heal consistently but drains mana, similar to bloodbond, rather than buffs that last for 10-15 seconds like bard. I also agree with the axe idea, shakes things up for the healer specs.

BulkPhase

Obsidian
An axe is a cool idea, I couldn't really see Shamans being fully ranged. Totems are going to more than likely have some sort of support aspect but as Lickster said, shouldn't feel as if it replaces another class. Any new type of class released obviously shouldn't replace another one and put it out of it's place, that being said it doesn't mean Shaman won't have similar supporting skills.

Theres a bit of a limitation on what type of "support" we can have in Herocraft. Buffs to mana/stam regen and damage buffs are already in place but of course there could be other things added, ex: A totem is placed on the ground and everyone near it takes a percentage more damage or less damage, making the other people have to bring the fight away from the totems.

A 5-10 block range on supporting totems makes people stay near the Shaman to receive their buffs, so if they branch away from their Shaman or the Shaman branches away from his totems, they get weaker.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
I was wondering if we could make totems add max HP over time (For example 10HP a second up to 50 then decays by 10 every second after it reaches max) So they can make their group gain temporary health. Maybe have the same for Stamina and Mana if its worth while. Another idea I had was Removing debuffs over time. It would make players have to identify when they are hurt and stick near the cleansing totem in order to move back to a safe place.

When I picture a Herocraft Shaman, I think of a player sitting back and controlling his allies with the placement of totems. If we make him melee (Which would be a great change of pace) he should get a knock back as well. Maybe a few close range burst abilities as well unless we give him heals non-dependent on his totems. The Shaman can stand his ground this way and maybe even become a duelist, but we should then stick to single target cc (Like the knockback) to ensure groups can still focus him down if he is a problem.

As for attributes, I am no good at math, but I feel they need mid base armor, but low HP. Maybe some where near the tankyness of old Samurai in theory. Excluding the defensives of course. Wisdom and int should still be a main focus on them, but I also think a strength build should be viable.

Just my thoughts on the class, take them for what you will.

Sirdemonic3

Legacy Supporter 3
So i want to get some rough ideas for kain/delf about shaman skills/numbers. Here are some ideas that i had myself, feel free to add your own!
1: chain lightning: kinda like plague in the affect that the damage goes from one person to another if in range, about 100 damage?
2: ice prison: throw a slow moving icebolt at a target, if it lands they are immobilized for x amount of seconds.
3: chain heal: same as chain lightning except its a bouncing heal, but it heals less if it bounces on someone it already healed?
4: slow totem: a totem u place within 10-20 blocks of you that will apply a small area of affect slow
5: resist magic totem: a totem u drop within 10-20 blocks of you that makes all people near by take less magic damage.
6: explosive totem: a totem that after u place counts down in chat till it explodes in a small aoe <5 blocks?>
7: mana regen totem: pretty easy to know what it does
8: mystic gale: a small target-able tornado that pulls people into it and slows them temporarily.
9: group water walking: lets people near you walk over water
10: spirit form: you move faster for a short while.

BulkPhase

Obsidian
Totem ideas are neat. Are totems planning on being physical entities or blocks placed down for visual purposes? Or will it just remain in chat? Ex: "Kahzo's Totem of Mana has faded."

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
Kain wants to make actual totems along side some other cool battle constructs. I'm pretty pumped to see this class and I will post some stuff here in a little bit.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
I've always seen shaman as a medium armored (probably chain with a few bits of iron) warrior-druid (less nature and more spiritual)

Last edited:

Egorh

Outcast
Legacy Supporter 7
I like most of those skill ideas but the main thing I am worried about is how OP is it going to be to have all of your totems down at once. I am thinking max out the amount of totems you have down at 2 or 3. You could to slow w/ damage, healing w/ mana regen, etc. But it really depends on how strong the buffs/debuffs are.

The main idea that I was really questioning was the Explosive Totem. In my opinion having a totem that pretty much does straight damage doesn't really fit a healer spec (Shaman is a healer spec right?!). Maybe have a totem that pulls people in (coupled with the slow totem it would be interesting), or if other people like explosive totem it could be a randomized knockback/knockup type of explosion (like tnt).

Sirdemonic3

Legacy Supporter 3
yeah the exploding thing is kinda derp, but they already have a pull in skill on the list to go with the slow totem

BulkPhase

Obsidian
They will definitely have to be capped otherwise the amount of support they'd give would be ridiculous. I'm thinking maybe a cap for one debuff at a time, one buff and one heal.

Egorh

Outcast
Legacy Supporter 7
And spirit walk-no matter how cool it sounds a solo speed buff doesn't really fit with someone who is suppose to be buffing the whole party (it is not a selfish class)

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
So i want to get some rough ideas for kain/delf about shaman skills/numbers. Here are some ideas that i had myself, feel free to add your own!
1: chain lightning: kinda like plague in the affect that the damage goes from one person to another if in range, about 100 damage?
2: ice prison: throw a slow moving icebolt at a target, if it lands they are immobilized for x amount of seconds.
3: chain heal: same as chain lightning except its a bouncing heal, but it heals less if it bounces on someone it already healed?
4: slow totem: a totem u place within 10-20 blocks of you that will apply a small area of affect slow
5: resist magic totem: a totem u drop within 10-20 blocks of you that makes all people near by take less magic damage.
6: explosive totem: a totem that after u place counts down in chat till it explodes in a small aoe <5 blocks?>
7: mana regen totem: pretty easy to know what it does
8: mystic gale: a small target-able tornado that pulls people into it and slows them temporarily.
9: group water walking: lets people near you walk over water
10: spirit form: you move faster for a short while.
Kainzo said he only wants one totem at a time last I heard (At one time I mean).

Chain lightning would be cool, my only concern is giving them too much AoE can be a problem, but would make them very unique in the healer/support role. I don't think they need a slow skill like ice prison or MysticGale though, if we give them Spirit Form, they would just be a kiting machine. Chain heal is great, love it and I think if not Shaman, a magic resist buff on any of the support classes would be a very interesting thing to play around with.

Some changes I would make myself, no slows except maybe the totem, so its avoidable. Give Spirit Form a defensive buff (Speeds them up, reduces magic/some form of magic or even physical damage) and add a healing totem. The reason behind this is: I don't think we need a support class pulling great AoE dps with slows and a speed up to boot, sounds like a Druid-Wizard-Beguiler cross breed haha. On the other hand, I think speed 2 on Spirit Form would be a bonus to having some damage reduction (So if you use it to run, its not super OP, but also can be used more offensively as well).

Also, I'm not too sure how possible water walking is. I feel like a class file change would have to happen unless we spawned ice beneath your feet which sounds like lag central D: Would really really love to see it happen though, team fights on water would be amazing lol

Sirdemonic3

Legacy Supporter 3
thats pretty cool vic, kain was saying he wanted shamans to use an axe and have a bit of dps so i figured a bit o speed could be good

Status
Not open for further replies.