• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

ALERT Server Status (CHECK HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiGuy

TNT
I still don't understand why your host hasn't resolved this issue yet? Seems like you need to get a better hosting company that can actually deal with DOS attacks.

They are not that complicated to beat and stop.

SonOfAGunner

Ungodly
I still don't understand why your host hasn't resolved this issue yet? Seems like you need to get a better hosting company that can actually deal with DOS attacks.

Anti-DDOS stuffz costs a lot of money.
I'm sure everyone is trying their hardest to solve the issue, so complaining won't do much... *cough*

Northac

Obsidian
any more news on status? a couple of the voting sites say its online, but they could be wrong. That and there havent been any posts on the site for about 2 hours, which is a bit strange since the was one about every 1/2 hour at max during the "attack"

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Remastered Tier 2 Supporter
Our system is up, there are just a couple backend kinks that are being worked out.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Sounds exciting. Does this affect the test server? And when the main world comes back, will it be 1.3 or 1.2.5 still?

Also I noticed one of the voting sites says 'online' and the other says 'offline' ...?

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6

Actually past attacks like these againts major companies like Amazon, PayPal, or well know websites like wikileaks have disrupted or impeded service for weeks or even months.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We're being hit with close to 1Gbps ... that's 1 million packets a second. Visa was hit with 10Gbps a second and survived.

We're doing well but the infrastructure has to change a bit to accommodate for the new issues.

Northac

Obsidian
what he means @Aburido_burrito is that they are trying to send so much "data" that it would overload the system and cause it to crash (or be extremely laggy) and prevent us from useing it. However the setup we now have prevents them from doing that. As Kainzo said "Like a Boss"

BadHaddy

User Abuser
To give you an idea of the scale of the problem:

At its peak, the webserver was being hit with 980mbit/s at ~17 million packets per second. Every second, the server had to process ~17 million little packets of information, decide what to do with them, then actually do it. Even ignoring a packet takes resources, because the computer must decide that it should be ignored. This is the equivalent of 2600 cable modems uploading packets at maximum speed. Essentially, the server had to process 2600 times more network data than your PC would at full tilt. The webserver literally has special processors designed for just this job (Called ToCs) and all four of them in parallel were running at near maximum.

The webserver was fairly easy to protect from a technical standpoint, as HTTP is a well documented, open protocol that has been in place for decades. I needed only to install a piece of hardware and connect a nice fat pipe to it, do some configuration, and we are in business.

The gameserver is different. Minecraft's protocol is not open, its not documented to an open standard level, and rules had to be custom designed to protect the server. The protocol itself doesn't understand forwarding, so the DDoS Protection Service (JavaPipe.com) had to custom engineer everything. Incoming rules, ddos detection, packet analysis, mangling, and forwarding. They had to learn how to decode Minecraft data packets and analyze them, modify them, and shoot them out to us. They have done a freaking phenomenal job, and now the last bits of work are on us.

XxTxAxZxX

Legacy Supporter 7
so do we have any sort of eta? like not exact but like tonite sometime or another week to go?

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Remastered Tier 2 Supporter
Heh. If it's not one thing it's another. All I want is my Herocrack!

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
The box is up.. I kicked a power cycle remotely (A VERY bad thing to do if we have a lot of users on and data not saved)

We're working on fixing this up before our release.

Status
Not open for further replies.