• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Rules - mini review

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Hi all. Time to review the Rules for the new map. I tidied them a little today - please look them over as they now stand.

Known issues

Things I'm aware of that need to be addressed:
  • Griefing rules
  • Township/residence build rules (not completed from the last review, my apologies)
  • Chat rules
  • Warnings.
Griefing Rules

The Rules currently refer to griefing in this way:
  • Mindlessly destroying the landscape is prohibited.
  • Leaving abusive messages in any form or messages that contravene the chat rules is prohibited.
@Kainzo is emphatic that griefing protection via the rules is not coming back in. If people want to protect their builds - and the landscape in the vicinity of their builds - they need to region-protect them with a town or residence perms. (And we need to publicize this to a greater extent, yes.)

Accordingly, it seems to me that the first point - "mindlessly destroying the landscape is prohibited" - cannot be used to take players to task for damaging the landscape around a town or residence.

In the wider context, there appears to be widespread respect for the landscape of the map and interest in keeping it looking fairly nice.

It's been suggested that "Massive destruction of a biome" be added or used instead of the first point.

Your comments on appropriate wording, please - taking into consideration the situations we encounter on the map and realistic options for staff responses.

Chat Rules / Enforcement

At the end of the day, chat rules and enforcement will always be implemented at the discretion of Kainzo and the senior staff. All staff involved in these matters - including Admins, Mods, Proctors and Guides - do need to know where they stand and that conversation still needs to be had.

With that as the context, do you have suggestions to offer about the chat rules and enforcement that can be taken into consideration?

Other Matters

What other aspects of the Rules do you see as needing to be discussed at this time?

Thanks for your input!

@TimForReal @Kenneth_Chow @joshtsai @MoeJunur @LordZelkova @Trazil @ShadowRavynn @Irishman81 @Xelarator1 @Dafefman @LarryDeCable @GodOfGales @FaZeAlpine @Dwarfers @Piptendo @Yavool

Last edited:

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
Hi all. Time to review the Rules for the new map. I tidied them a little today - please look them over as they now stand.

Known issues

Things I'm aware of that need to be addressed:
  • Griefing rules
  • Township/residence build rules (not completed from the last review, my apologies)
  • Chat rules
  • Warnings.
Griefing Rules

• Leaving abusive messages in any form or messages that contravene the chat rules is prohibited.
@Kainzo is emphatic that griefing protection via the rules is not coming back in. If people want to protect their builds - and the landscape in the vicinity of their builds - they need to region-protect them with a town or residence perms. (And we need to publicize this to a greater extent, yes.)

Accordingly, it seems to me that the first point - "mindlessly destroying the landscape is prohibited" - cannot be used to take players to task for damaging the landscape around a town or residence.

In the wider context, there appears to be widespread respect for the landscape of the map and interest in keeping it looking fairly nice.

It's been suggested that "Massive destruction of a biome" be added or used instead of the first point.

Your comments on appropriate wording, please - taking into consideration the situations we encounter on the map and realistic options for staff responses.

Chat Rules / Enforcement

At the end of the day, chat rules and enforcement will always be implemented at the discretion of Kainzo and the senior staff. All staff involved in these matters - including Admins, Mods, Proctors and Guides - do need to know where they stand and that conversation still needs to be had.

With that as the context, do you have suggestions to offer about the chat rules and enforcement that can be taken into consideration?

Other Matters

What other aspects of the Rules do you see as needing to be discussed at this time?

Thanks for your input!

@TimForReal @Kenneth_Chow @joshtsai @MoeJunur @LordZelkova @Trazil @ShadowRavynn @Irishman81 @Xelarator1 @Dafefman @LarryDeCable @GodOfGales @FaZeAlpine @Dwarfers @Piptendo
I feel like chat has gotten a lot worse recently. I've noticed a lot more spamming, harassment, and just blatant disregard for the rules. Don't get me wrong, I love a little shit talk and taunting now and again, but sometimes it can get a little out of hand. Just my opinion.

My main thing is that we need to change the wording of "mindless grief" to something more specific.

Someone banned for this made the case that the grief wasn't mindless, but highly purposeful. The problem is that he was technically in the right, and that annoys me.

So we basically need to lay out everything that it encompasses. To let people understand the rule.

LarryDeCable

Max Legacy Supporter
Heres what I think

Greifing:
Here is my personal thought on griefing. If you grief and it makes the landscape look bad, it should be illegal. A townie griefing his town should be illegal. Here is the rule wording I propose

"Leaving abusive messages, destruction of a biome or griefing a town you are currently in is strictly prohibited. If you're worried your actions might fall under one of those, don't grief."

Chat rules:
The following should be illegal and result in a possibility of a mute.
Violating a rule that another player has just been warned about.

The following should be illegal and result in a warning then mute.
Spamming and then saying "WC"
Toxicity
Spamming in shout or local chat
Saying "First warning" and other phrases that would insinuate they are staff.

Warnings:
Warnings should be like so
Minor infractions i.e Caps, Being toxic, and other items should include 1-3 warnings depending on Staff's discretion
Major Infractions i.e Spam, Intentionally violating rules should result in 0-1 warnings depending on Staff's discretion

All incidents should be screenshotted and Senior staff can make all final calls if needed.

Last edited:

Kenneth_Chow

Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter
Heres what I think

Greifing:
Here is my personal thought on griefing. If you grief and it makes the landscape look bad, it should be illegal. A townie griefing his town should be illegal. Here is the rule wording I propose

"Leaving abusive messages, destruction of a biome or griefing a town you are currently in is strictly prohibited. If you're worried your actions might fall under one of those, don't grief."

Chat rules:
The following should be illegal and result in a possibility of a mute.
Violating a rule that another player has just been warned about.

The following should be illegal and result in a warning then mute.
Spamming and then saying "WC"
Toxicity
Spamming in shout or local chat

I disagree with the townie griefing part. As it should be dealt with by the mayor setting plots and regions properly.

Making spamming in shout/local I'm iffy about.

LarryDeCable

Max Legacy Supporter
I disagree with the townie griefing part. As it should be dealt with by the mayor setting plots and regions properly.

Making spamming in shout/local I'm iffy about.
Heres my issue with townies griefing their own town.
Most people don't understand plot systems, and without educating people manually they might not even know the feature exists

Now ignorance isn't the main issue, in my opinion it just makes Town's look ugly. It's a disrespect to all the members of a town if someone joins your town and up right griefs. It makes everyone unhappy.

Adding the rule would do the following A. Make townies happier and B. Retain players
If you're town is majorly griefed when you didn't properly region your place, well. You might just quit.

Large township owners know about plots and other settings, but a majority of small township owners don't.
Heres my recommendation.
You can make it a rule, or find a way to advertise hc.to/townguide
But for right now, this is rules to fix issues, not do dev work. I still stand by the recommendation to add that.

Piptendo

The Trade Prince
Staff member
Max Legacy Supporter
I feel it'd be much better to instead of restrict town grief, to just rework the permissions that town members can have. Are there ranks other than mayor that can build if the town is /town toggle memberbuild off? If that's the case, the disregard this, but so far it seems only mayor can place blocks. I feel at the minimum that SiCs and Helpers (or annexing in a town architect rank called "carpenter" or something) might be helpful to restrict town build and destruction.

I know this isn't a rule suggestion, but this would eliminate the need for the rule.

GodOfGales

Legacy Supporter 4
Griefing Rules

I believe we should remove the "Mindlessly" section of the landscape grief rule, as that leaves an opening for excuses.

Abusive messages is a variable to me. What's considered abusive? Here are some ideas I have to specify:
  • Racial Terms
  • Terms regarding sexual orientation/identity
  • Graphic and violent terms
  • Rude words to a specific player/ group
I understand the rule does point out it must coexist with the chat rules already in place, but I believe those are another issue on it's own when it comes to enforcement....

Chat Rules / Enforcement

A long lasting discussion still stands between rather a Proctor has a real purpose or not. I believe we might as well decide to give them full permissions or fuse them with the guides.

Quoting Irish about this:
I feel like chat has gotten a lot worse recently. I've noticed a lot more spamming, harassment, and just blatant disregard for the rules. Don't get me wrong, I love a little shit talk and taunting now and again, but sometimes it can get a little out of hand. Just my opinion.
That's basically how I stand.

Also, it is hard to prove wrong in a mute appeal, but when people knowingly say something in a public channel that shouldn't be there, and then state "wc", when it clearly wasn't, should be grounds for a mute. Of course, after multiple offences.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I believe we should remove the "Mindlessly" section of the landscape grief rule, as that leaves an opening for excuses.

Abusive messages is a variable to me. What's considered abusive? Here are some ideas I have to specify:
  • Racial Terms
  • Terms regarding sexual orientation/identity
  • Graphic and violent terms
  • Rude words to a specific player/ group
I understand the rule does point out it must coexist with the chat rules already in place, but I believe those are another issue on it's own when it comes to enforcement....

A long lasting discussion still stands between rather a Proctor has a real purpose or not. I believe we might as well decide to give them full permissions or fuse them with the guides.

Quoting Irish about this:

That's basically how I stand.

Also, it is hard to prove wrong in a mute appeal, but when people knowingly say something in a public channel that shouldn't be there, and then state "wc", when it clearly wasn't, should be grounds for a mute. Of course, after multiple offences.
Gales has pretty much said anything I was gonna lol

EmilyRoseV

Legacy Supporter 6
My main thing is that we need to change the wording of "mindless grief" to something more specific.

Someone banned for this made the case that the grief wasn't mindless, but highly purposeful. The problem is that he was technically in the right, and that annoys me.

So we basically need to lay out everything that it encompasses. To let people understand the rule.

The same thing here happened to me 1 year ago. And i couldnt get my 2 years title now. Because a Guide told me that raiding is raping the enemy's base so back then i thought you get rewards for breaking the enemy's base and got Banned.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
The entire section on chats needs to be revamped in my opinion. I've heard from mods and others that m.emes are allowed now but on the wiki it still says they are not. There's also way more disrespect going on in channels and unpunished misuse of specialty channels like RE and T.

Also the rules mention naming towns offensive things is not allowed but makes no mention of items. So things like posting in a chat with %item% with an insulting name like this picture below is totally legal, but I believe is in poor taste:

shitty.PNG

Before I went on hiatus two years back staff would hand out mutes in chat all the time - even if they were only for a few days a piece but chat was a LOT better back then. We need to bring back muting people in general.

Last edited:

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
The entire section on chats needs to be revamped in my opinion. I've heard from mods and others that m.emes are allowed now but on the wiki it still says they are not. There's also way more disrespect going on in channels and unpunished misuse of specialty channels like RE and T.

Also the rules mention naming towns offensive things is not allowed but makes no mention of items. So things like posting in a chat with %item% with an insulting name like this picture below are totally legal, but I believe is in poor taste:

View attachment 11453

Before I went on hiatus two years back staff would hand out mutes in chat all the time - even if they were only for a few days a piece but chat was a LOT better back then. We need to bring back muting people in general.
I believe the rules about Items were remove since Engrave was also removed.
Merchant can still rename chests though can't it?

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
This may not be the place, however a brief glance through the forums yielded no answers. Is it still against server rules to party invite a player for the sole purpose or a group teleport and gank of said player?

Kenneth_Chow

Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter
This may not be the place, however a brief glance through the forums yielded no answers. Is it still against server rules to party invite a player for the sole purpose or a group teleport and gank of said player?

It is only illegal if the group teleport was confirmed in trade.

Hc.to/rules