• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Rules and other stuff for the Nether

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
Alright, here we go:

1) Mark and Recall
-Sleaker mentioned that recall will probably not work. While I agree that everyone should be forced to use either hellgate or to take the obstacle course, will it be disabled for both directions (in/out of Nether)?

2) Porting back out
Sleaker also mentioned that hellgate would also be the way to exit the Nether again, while Kain said a while ago that there might be a separate skill or even a specific exit gate for that- can we get this cleared up?

3) Personal regions and griefing
Since this is hell and we're a hardcore server, I don't see a reason to allow regions in the Nether.
However, this shouldn't mean that players are allowed to just completely wreck anything others build there.
Flattening clearly man-made structures or pouring lava all over them without any substantial personal gain should be forbidden.
(No, Kevin, if you mine 100 stacks of netherrack from a house, it's still griefing.)

Let me give you a few examples of what should be allowed and what should not be:

Allowed:
-Breaking and entering using a 1x2 tunnel.
Repair any gate signs/redstone circuits/automatic farms/whatever that you dig into.
Regular blocks that do not serve a higher purpose (blocks of a wall, minor holes in the ceiling etc) do not need to be replaced.
-Pillaring/Bridging into a stronghold
Pillars and makeshift bridges do not need to be removed.
-Temporarily placing lava sources in PVP
-Breaking minor parts of structures or placing few additional blocks in PVP without fixing

Forbidden:
Anything that still critically affects the victim after you are gone and anything that does not serve the immediate acquisition of rares or PVP experience, for example:
-filling an empty room with lava or covering an empty house with it without removing
-using ice to destroy lava oceans that are clearly part of a structures' landscape (You can farm obsidian all over the Nether, no need to do it right next to someones house)
-mining a structure completely (flattening) or ruining it by removing essential or extensive parts (for example the whole floor, ceiling, or walls) without due neccessity
-modifying statues or other distinct works of art (You can still take Glowstone and other rares)
Also anything that is obviously set up to cause grief and exploit loop-holes should be forbidden.

-------

Whatch'a think about that?

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
You are aware that right now there are no rules on griefing in the nether?

I think what was meant was, the rules from the main server as far as griefing are concerned should probably be carried over into the nether as well. Personally I'm great with everything you said, Weynard, though not the part about pillaring- just makes things look so ugly.

Diffuse

Legacy Supporter 4
Perhaps its just my way of viewing the nether, but to me the nether seems to be an extension of the regular world without towns and with different materials. From what I've read here it sounds to me like the nether is going to be a large pvp/war zone, which I've never thought it should be.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
I think the rules you suggest is great and fit good with my imagine of Nether.

Upb34t

Legacy Supporter 3
I completly agree with everything you wrote, except:
Regular blocks that do not serve a higher purpose (blocks of a wall, minor holes in the ceiling etc) do not need to be replaced.

Would that mean that if everyone destroys like 1 or 2 "blocks that do not serve a higher purpose" and there is no wall or ceiling left, it's not considered griefing?

I think in the nether should the same griefing rules apply as on the normal world.
  • If you want to get into a building: Destroy and replace
  • If you want to gather ressources: The Nether is big enough; go and explore
  • If you need to make a pillar that functions as a help to build/get into sth./etc., remove it below your feet: Don't deface another player's structure.
Placing/Breaking blocks during pvp seems reasonable though and should be allowed.

Note: It's Hardcore, but would you want your structure to be destroyed/defaced, because of mindless and primitive griefing?

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
Would that mean that if everyone destroys like 1 or 2 "blocks that do not serve a higher purpose" and there is no wall or ceiling left, it's not considered griefing?
"Also anything that is obviously set up to cause grief and exploit loop-holes should be forbidden."

I think in the nether should the same griefing rules apply as on the normal world.

Nooooo! The Nether is evil and if you decide to live there you will have to endure harsh conditions! How is it hardcore to apply the same set of rules to these fundamentally different concepts?

Don't get me wrong, mindless griefing is exactly what I'm trying to prevent, but just copy-pasting the rules over from the main shard? Don't tell me you want me to wash your pu*sy too?

I honestly don't think we should build structures within the nether. I see it as more of a place where you want to get your s*** and get out. You know?

How about you fuck*ng grow a pair and come try and live there?
I think what you have in mind is more suitable for The End.

See how I even censored my s*it this time?

Glastonburypie

Glowing Redstone
I wouldn't mind if we had a no-pvp zone in the middle (like zeal - spawn point, 10x10 plot housing for people, market) ie radius 150-300. Then the rest just non-regioned area as a battle ground.

Upb34t

Legacy Supporter 3
No, I most definitly want the Nether to be hardcore, but why would you want your buildings to get destroyed?
And basically, the only rule I would've added in addition to your rule set is:
You mustn't destroy block belonging to a structure without replacing.
If you have time to explore another players structure, you most certainly have the time to replace the block.

In my opinion, the hardcore factor of the Nether is that there is no regioning. You can rob anything you want, but I don't see the point in destroying structures of other players; why would you want to destroy something and not replace it, unless you want to grief?

c12095

Holy Shit!
I wouldn't mind if we had a no-pvp zone in the middle (like zeal - spawn point, 10x10 plot housing for people, market) ie radius 150-300. Then the rest just non-regioned area as a battle ground.

The Nether isn't organized its lava, cliffs, and Zombie Pigs, don't try to make it civil...

Glastonburypie

Glowing Redstone
@Upb34t I'm thinking more in terms of interesting landscape to fight on. More battlefield 3-ish where you start with landscape intact then it all goes to rubble.

@c12095 - I'm getting at people having a safe point so you don't get people camping the spawn locations and just killing you when you are zoning in. Also having a place to buy & sell armor close to a pvp intense zone. Otherwise I can see chest shops with armour/weapons popping up randomly.

Just my 2 cents - good initial thread btw :)

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
Maybe we should just reset the nether every few days and let it be, anything goes.

Isn't that what Warshard is for? It was mentioned that it might return.. besides, wouldn't constantly resetting hell mean infinite Glowstone for everyone?

(Not to mention a lot of people would be very sad if you did...)

GreekCrackShot

Legacy Supporter 7
rules from the last map are fine. It's hell, Not home. I we should just be able to grief what ever we feel like griefing in the Nether. Relieve whatever urges to grief that some players get lol.

Maybe we should just reset the nether every few days and let it be, anything goes.
I think this would just solve every question related to griefing, so why not?

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
Only problems I see with the reset Nether every few days is that there are some guilds that want to have a base in the Nether (Hell Riders and The Academy), and glowstone becoming not as valuable.

Thunderjolt

Legacy Supporter 4
@weynard I don't appreciate your attitude. I merely stated my opinion on what I think the Nether should be in the world of Herocraft. It has nothing to do with having to grow a pair.

@GreekCrackShot That's what I am talking about "It's HELL not home"

Seratt

Inquisitor Generalis
Founder
We've never even contemplated the idea of allowing bases in the nether. It's a place that should be feared. A place that relies are huge group support.

It's definitely not a place to build a house and make a bed to rest.

I posted months ago to sum it up. Think of rape and hurt assholes. That's what the nether should be.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
It's a place that should be feared. A place that relies are huge group support.
That's the point there are guilds of 20+ people wanting to settle in the nether.