• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Remove Infinite Sprint. Classes Should Affect Stamina.

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
Let's cut out the personal comments please.

I would say that anything that slows the game down would make it less fun to play. imagine running across the map and having to walk 90% of it

This may slow things down but it adds depth to combat. Herocraft players typically have three speeds: Sneak, Normal and Fast. There is no Sprint, as the definition of sprinting implies a short distance. All three last forever unless you're a warrior or rogue using skills; the casters and healers can kite forever.

With this change, sprinting is no longer "fast mode" but is a limited use ability for catching an opponent or getting out of a dicey situation. Like any ability you have to sprint at the right time or else it may cost you your life or your kill.

As Kainzo said we're kind of pampered with Hunger. In other servers, sprint is still limited. You have to eat to replenish it, and if you don't eat for long enough, you die. Here stamina regenerates and will never kill you. Obviously this server has enough things to kill you other than time itself, so that was fortunately removed. However, limited duration sprint shouldn't have been removed along with it.

I would caution this. You all know that caster specs are very well balanced at the moment. Putting a limit on melee's ability to use abilities as well as chase us down while we kite would give significant strength to casters. More or less you are taxing a resource we don't use while hindering a resource many melee specs use.

I'm sure many would disagree with how balanced casters are, but that's off topic. Not implementing something because it may cause a temporary imbalance is not a valid reason to avoid implementing this. If we avoided implementing anything that might affect balance we would never have new features.

I also suggested "taxing" casters and healers harder than warriors and rogues by giving warriors and rogues slightly better stamina regeneration rates. Yes this means in a straight up race, certain classes will always end up catching another, but again this adds a bit of depth to our class system.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
I think sprinting should drain stamina, though not sure how we can do this, Sleaker ?

But wouldn't that make the disparity of movement for classes that use stamina vs casters/healers even greater? Would there be a similar effect for mana, like a slow that is applied when you run out of mana?

Edit: what if the application of these resource rules that limit movement speed (like sprinting eating stam) depends on being combat tagged?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
But wouldn't that make the disparity of movement for classes that use stamina vs casters/healers even greater? Would there be a similar effect for mana, like a slow that is applied when you run out of mana?

Edit: what if the application of these resource rules that limit movement speed (like sprinting eating stam) depends on being combat tagged?
Well, we want the skills to shine here when it comes to mobility. I'd like to see either a reduction in speed for sprinting across the board or a stam-drain when its active.

This will place greater emphasis on actual movement increasing skills, such as sprint, quicken, one, etc. I'd like to bring out a new line of long-lasting movement skills with high reagent costs. Though we must take it one step at a time.

I think it's too catty, people are sprinting far too often in combat with no penalty except if they mistakenly drain themselves too low and they can't regain, especially with the introduction of invigorate and energize skills.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
I hate this idea, but if it's implemented can you at least make sprinting a toggle-able skill? That way we won't need to double hit W in order to sprint? A big issue in Herocraft today is the amount of people using Auto-Sprint. If we can cut that ability all together, it would level the playing field.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I hate this idea, but if it's implemented can you at least make sprinting a toggle-able skill? That way we won't need to double hit W in order to sprint? A big issue in Herocraft today is the amount of people using Auto-Sprint. If we can cut that ability all together, it would level the playing field.
You can get mods for a sprint button. Is what I used to used, effectively I just held shift when I wanted to sprint :p

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
But sprint key is illegal Danda e_o
Why all the mod does is allows you to rebind the keymapping for sprinting It follows the same mechanics as sprint stopping when you're standing still, walking backwards, run into a block etc. It's not a toggle sprint which allows you to sprint while stood still or while you're running backwards etc which are the reasons that's illegal.

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
Why all the mod does is allows you to rebind the keymapping for sprinting It follows the same mechanics as sprint stopping when you're standing still, walking backwards, run into a block etc. It's not a toggle sprint which allows you to sprint while stood still or while you're running backwards etc which are the reasons that's illegal.

What? So sprint key mod is legal?

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
If you're referring to Key Sprint or Better Sprinting no.
  • Key Sprint because it contains fly lol
  • Better Sprinting because it contains toggle sprint and toggle sneak.
Tbh the main reason I used the mod is because I lag so much sometimes I actually couldn't hit W fast enough to actually sprint lol (Still have the same problem trying to fly sometimes :p)

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
If you're referring to Key Sprint or Better Sprinting no.
  • Key Sprint because it contains fly lol
  • Better Sprinting because it contains toggle sprint and toggle sneak.

Key Sprint only flys if you have permission to do so I believe, but what mod did you use?

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Key Sprint only flys if you have permission to do so I believe, but what mod did you use?
A friend built me one :p
It's out of date now though.

BeasttRecon

Legacy Supporter 4
Ah.

awsumguy75321

Obsidian
We could have caster and maybe healer stamina drain faster while sprinting, because aren't warriors and rogues supposed to be very physically fit in order to actively participate in combat? All casters have to do is stay at a distance and shoot fireballs, which isn't very physically demanding.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Doesn't it make sense that a guy running around in full armor just as fast as someone without armor, runs out of stamina when he uses physical skills combined with it?

I don't see why a fully armored Dreadknight should run as fast, or even faster then a caster/healer.

Full iron plate armor can have half the total weight of the man wearing it. A person in armor gets exhausted quickly from fatigue and weight. This is simply logic.

awsumguy75321

Obsidian
Doesn't it make sense that a guy running around in full armor just as fast as someone without armor, runs out of stamina when he uses physical skills combined with it?

I don't see why a fully armored Dreadknight should run as fast, or even faster then a caster/healer.

Full iron plate armor can have half the total weight of the man wearing it. A person in armor gets exhausted quickly from fatigue and weight. This is simply logic.
True, we shouldn't have casters and maybe healers run out quite as fast, but warriors and rogues still have to be pretty fit for their line of combat, so they shouldn't be as fatigued as a caster when niether have armor on.

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
Want to tackle infinite sprinting? Look at the cds for Windwalk and One. Virtually limitless sprinting. You want to tax casters and healers who already can't catch up to Warriors and Rogues? Not to mention this would kill walking around the map. I don't think this is a good idea.

Dislike this comment if you wish, but I see this having major issues on the server.

w0nd3rb0y

Legacy Supporter 5
If you drain stam from sprinting then casters would rule the server. They wouldnt have to worry about skills being used because they use mana. If stam based classes had to eat every time theit stam was low it would be disastrous. imagine chasing a caster down and when you finally caught up you didnt have the stam to fight, while they are still capable of nuking you to high hell. this idea would be a bad one.

Goonswarm

Legacy Supporter 5
My other issue with this, is that there are so many "in progress" projects that have been started and announced, and then have seen no progress.

We are still missing the following:
-Spire Project Contest Implementation
-Rated PvP Titles
-Cauldrons
-Dragon Travel

Before massive amounts of time are spent on the new skills and their balance overhauls, it would be nice to see these things implemented, completed, or fixed.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
I think sprinting should drain stamina, though not sure how we can do this, Sleaker ?
I've been thinking for a while, but I think we should have a way of regaining stam quickly OR switch back to mana costs all across the board. I also like having sprint affect stamina. But why the stam change? Well at the moment mana classes get to keep mobility over stam classes while most times keeping up in damage or going above it. Stam managing is very hard and I have been noticing that this restricts my ability to kill certain classes (Mostly hybrids excluding ranger) Not to say this is a MAJOR problem, but if stam becomes affected by sprinting I think it will need a change.