• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Removal of Fireball, Let's do it.

Aetosion

Obsidian
The time that casters and their specs have had without fireball has been an interesting experience. With the changes to drainsoul, necromancers have become the most viable combat class. They can drop continuous dots, and stay alive by virtue of drainsoul (which is alot better than fireblast is at the moment). Fireblast is an interesting filler spell, I suppose. It does about half the damage of fireball, almost 4 times less range, with the bonus of hitting auto the same as smite. I would suggest that the unspecs get fireball back, whenever it's fixed, because at the moment they're like healers without heals.

However, I think it would be best to keep fireball removed permanently from specs. Necromancers have had much success without it, trying new DoT patterns and different strategies without the fireball spam. Now an extra skill or two could be added to each caster spec, or current ones modified. Perhaps Wizards could get fireball back, matching with their burst damage archetype. Geos could do with some more elemental stuff, perhaps implement the melee changes I've heard chatter about. Beguilers could do with alot more CC power, with Piggify fixed they'll be pretty worthless.

There's no point in reimplementing fireball if the casters have evolved in strategy and combat mechanics without it, I think this is a step in the right direction. I feel that the lack of fireball could be capitalized upon to further emphasize the separation of the classes and each of their own unique playstyles etc.

Cool shit.

TheTMTrainer

Soulsand
I hope each class gets a more specialized skill... these are some random ideas.

• Casters - Unspec - Fireball
  • Wizards - Thunder Themed - ThunderBlast (Deals Lightning damage, longest range, directness of smite, and charges creepers?)
  • Beguiler - Confusion/Psychic Themed - Blast (Neutral Damage, longer range that fireblast, chance to AoE around target to slow/confuse for 1-2 seconds?)
  • Geomancer - Elemental Themed - Iceblast (Ice damage, longer range than fireblast, can slow?) and current Fireblast
  • Necromancers - Poison/Undead Themed - Poisonblast (Poison damage, DoT and can turn food to rottenflesh at a low chance?)

Aetosion

Obsidian
Meh, not into just retheming the same spell for each class. I think it would be alot better to make each classes' skills increasingly different from their counterparts.

Casters - Fireball
Wizard- Fire/Thunder burst spell
Geos- AoE something + Melee spell (shorter range, maybe 10)
Beguiler- A spell with damage + the effects of SkillConfuse
Necros- Drainsoul

That kind of thing, after removing fireblast.

karuu91

Glowing Redstone
+1 to this for sure, brilliant thoughts. Fairly certain most of the active casters on the server will agree to this post.

Zakeko

Coal
Geos need something other than fire and ice skills. They need more earth, water and air themed skills like a sort of AoE tornado with sends people flying into the air or an earthquake/fissure ability where the target is rooted and damaged for a few seconds.

karuu91

Glowing Redstone
I do agree with you Zakeko, geos are more than just fire/ice, would be really neat to see a variety. :)

Aetosion

Obsidian
Exactly, we need to step away from the old "Fireball" and "Fireblast", and develop new and unique skills for each caster spec. Instead of Fireball being the uniting factor just as weapons are with melee classes, why can't the uniting factor simply be "use of magic". Why would a Necromancer or Beguiler be shooting a fireball? No clue.

spartanman118

Legacy Supporter 3
I like all the ideas but I think that what ever gets put in or replaces each classes fireball should still be ranged.

karuu91

Glowing Redstone
The only melee I see fitting is for the Geomancer. Kainzo announced that Geos would be changed into a melee-caster type class if I remember correctly. Most of us think this sounds really neat, and can't wait. Simply tossing out some ideas. I would kill to see the Beguiler get some love. As stated before, possibly remove fireball, and give them a confusion-based nuke instead. This would really set the class apart in my opinion. We have no clue what changes are exactly coming to Beguiler, however Kainzo has hinted at them, and they sound super neat. Really feel this class will stand out afterwards. =D

Glent

Glowing Redstone
Meh, not into just retheming the same spell for each class. I think it would be alot better to make each classes' skills increasingly different from their counterparts.

Casters - Fireball
Wizard- Fire/Thunder burst spell
Geos- AoE something + Melee spell (shorter range, maybe 10)
Beguiler- A spell with damage + the effects of SkillConfuse
Necros- Drainsoul

That kind of thing, after removing fireblast.

Specifically for the beguiler one - Giving them the thief 55 spell at level 1 and also having damage would be stupid.

Aetosion

Obsidian
@Glent Thief isn't a CC class. Beguilers are.

Druids are going to get Bolt at 60, Wizards get that much earlier, it's no big deal

Glent

Glowing Redstone
Thief isn't a CC class. Beguilers are.

Right, but it's a 55 spell for them and it would just be a worse version of another class's level 1 ability. It's like giving druids megabolt at level 1 and making it stronger than wizard's megabolt.

KrunknMunky

Legacy Supporter 3
How about a lower level of confuse, affecting multiple people (AoE), with a small amount of damage? I think this would really make beguilers stand out! :D

Zakeko

Coal
I think that every caster spec should have their own unique alternative for fireball.
Like:
Caster: Fireball
Beguiler: PsyBomb
Necro: DrainSoul
Geo: Rock/Boulder Throw
Wizard: Fireball or Zap

karuu91

Glowing Redstone
The thing that we were aiming for the with the confusion nuke was a very minor duration on the confuse effect. Like 1-2 seconds ontop of the damage. Nothing near the duration of the 55 skill Confusion.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I for one would like to see Fireball return. Projectiles like Fireball are much more visible and physical than the point-and-click skills we have now. They're much more there. It doesn't have to be on every Caster spec, and I don't necessarily want it to be. But I do so enjoy lobbing projectiles at people, and they can drop down instead of just suddenly losing potency after x distance.

From one perspective, with the loss of Fireball Rogues out-range Casters.

I think that IF Geos continue their current fire/ice theme that they should retain Fireball, even if it's not their main focus. Maybe make it a higher-level skill with more power and enough of a mana cost that using it would be detrimental to close-range combat. If they ever get around to wind/earth/water/heart I'd be 0kay with it either way.

Wizards, I would prefer had a lightning skill with smallish AoE. That said, I think that they may move in a different direction.

Beguilers may want a single-target Smite-style skill with an effect.

Necromancers, who seem to be moving more into an undead theme than a Nether theme, could take it or leave it.