• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Regions Guide

Neo_Exdeath

Destroyer Of Worlds
Legacy Supporter 3
[size=x-large][align=center]Regions[/align][/size]

[size=large]What if two regions overlap that are not parent/child?[/size]
DO NOT DO THIS: It will require you to be a member of all of the regions for you to edit.

[size=large]What is a region?[/size]
Regions is an area protection system built into world guard. It is very similar to cuboid so if you know how to use cuboid it shouldn’t be to hard to learn.

A region defines the following:

• A list of owners that can edit the properties and build in a region
  • A list of members that can build in the region
  • A parent region or the lack of one
  • Flags to disable/enable certain features (such as PvP)

The chest protection feature is broke atm, but this won't be a problem if you listened to the warning below.
It is still highly recommended to use LWC to lock chests and furnaces just in case this feature is broken because of an update.

You can check to see if an area is already part of a region by right clicking with a wooden sword

[size=large]How do I create a region?[/size]
To select a region, use a wooden hoe.
At this point, you have to options to select the area in which your region will be placed.
Option 1: Cuboid Select - Simply go on your merry way and select something as usual, the right and left click will each select points and make a box [Shown below in picture]. [If you are in Polygonal selection mode and with to go back, type
Code:
//sel cuboid

[align=center]
Cuboid.png
[/align]
Option 2: Polygonal Selection – A by far more useful way of selecting items. You can select an infinite amount of points to create any size region. To do this, simply type
Code:
//sel poly
You are not in polygonal selection mode, from here you use the left click to indicate a start point for your shape, and thereafter use the right click to place “pylons” [They are invisible] to form the area which you want to form.
Selecting blocks that are above and below the area you selected to make it easier:
To expand a region so that it goes from bedrock to the sky: After selecting the points you want, type
Code:
//expand vert
. It will then give you a total number of the blocks selected from sky to bedrock.
To expand a region up or down a certain amount of blocks: After selecting the points you want, type
Code:
//expand {Amount of Blocks} {Direction}
The amount of blocks is simply the number in that direction, the direction is the first letter of the direction you want to expand it. Directions include:
[Note – The server permissions only allow vertical expansions of directions, but I will list them all just to be more complete]
  • U [UP]
  • D [Down]
  • S [South]
  • N [North]
  • W [West]
  • E [East]
You can also outright shift regions by typing
Code:
//shift {Amount} {Direction}

After you have selected these points you would create the region by using:
Code:
/region define <id> [owner1] [owner2] [owner3] (etc.)
Note: id is the name you choose for the region.

An owner has full rights to edit the region and build in it. A member only has build rights.

[size=large]How do I edit an already defined region?[/size]

To add someone to a region after it is made:
Code:
/region addowner <id> <owner1> [owner1] [owner2] [owner3] (etc.)  
/region addmember <id> <member1> [member2] [member3] [member4] (etc.)

To remove someone from a region:
Code:
/region removeowner <id> <owner1> [owner1] [owner2] [owner3] (etc.)
/region removemember <id> <member1> [member2] [member3] [member4] (etc.)

Regions can also use a parent region to inherit from. To set a region as a child of another region:
Code:
/region setparent <id> <parent-id>

To remove a parent:
Code:
/region setparent <id>

To check the info on a region:
Code:
/region info <id>

To delete a region:
Code:
/region delete <id>
If the region has children, all the children will be removed.

[size=large]What are the toggle able flags on a region?[/size]

You can set various properties of a region by changing flags on it. The flags are:
[Note – Most of the flags are disabled, only the ones listed below explaining them are currently available]
  • Pass-through
  • Build
  • PvP
  • Mob-Damage
  • Creeper-Explosion
  • TNT
  • Lighter
  • Fire-spread
  • Lava-Fire
  • Chest-Access
  • Water-Flow
  • Lava-Flow
  • Use
  • Vehicle-Place
  • Greeting
  • Farewell
  • Notify-Greeting
  • Notify-Farewell
  • Deny-Spawn
  • Heal-Delay
  • Heal-Amount
  • Teleport
  • Teleport-Group
  • Spawn
  • Spawn-Group
  • Buyable
  • Price

To set this flags:
Code:
/region flag  <id>  <flag> <none|allow|deny>
None is used to inherit from the parent class or to follow map default.

[size=large]What do the toggles do?[/size]

Passthrough
Use allow to have this region treated as a region that doesn't check build permission (use this to make simple no-PVP, etc. zones).

Build
DON'T TOUCH THIS FLAG. Everything will work normally without changing this flag. This flag overrides all region build checks, either to blanket allow or blanket deny. Deny always takes precedence over allow.

PvP
Allow or block PvP.

Mob-Damage
Allow or block mob damage on players.

Creeper-Explosion
Allow or block creeper damage to terrain and players.

TNT
Allow or block TNT.

Lighter
Allow or block flint and steel.

[size=large]What if two regions overlap that are not parent/child?[/size]
DO NOT DO THIS: It will require you to be a member of all of the regions for you to edit.
[size=large]Note: most of the info in this guide came from http://wiki.sk89q.com/wiki/WorldGuard/Regions#Commands[/size]

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
So for a region in the wildy, I designate the corners, define the region with me as the only owner and thats it? No one can build/destroy my stuff / access my chests anymore? Just create it and everything is set?

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I can't seem to use my wooden shovel to set points. No text displays, and after I set the points anyway and type the information, it tells me I need to set an area in WorldEdit. Any hints?

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
Dazureus said:
I can't seem to use my wooden shovel to set points. No text displays, and after I set the points anyway and type the information, it tells me I need to set an area in WorldEdit. Any hints?

Guide needs to be updated, neo =P

Like a day or two ago kainzo changed it from a wooden shovel to a wooden hoe. Follow the same directions but with a wooden hoe.

Neo_Exdeath

Destroyer Of Worlds
Legacy Supporter 3
wolfgang784 said:
Dazureus said:

Guide needs to be updated, neo =P

Like a day or two ago kainzo changed it from a wooden shovel to a wooden hoe. Follow the same directions but with a wooden hoe.

It was changed earlier today :p, but it is updated now

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
I get my dates confused, go away lol. I read things on here and completely forget if I read them this morning or last week.

Draskuul

Legacy Supporter 5
If I was to sort out connecting Hope's End and nearby cities into the main road systems in HC should I use regions to protect the road from vanadlism? Or is this something we should petition admins to do? Or do players even take care of creating these major roads, or do admins/architects do it?

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
Players take care of any roads they may or may not want leading to they're towns, and weather they are regioned by the admins or players it needs to be run by the admins first is a petition, because players can't region an area that big without an admin say-so.

AlexDaParrot

Legacy Supporter 5
BlackLabelBobbie said:
Are existing regions still fine?

Existing regions are still enabled, though some of the flags on them may have changed due to a change in the flag name. I would double check those flags. Also, regions of Towns will soon need to be done using the polygonal selection to provide a nice cozy fit to the town I remember Kainzo saying yesterday. [In less fluffy terms]

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
I have a quick question. With cuboid shaped regions I could simply make one larger region for the entire city and then i made another region that was below a certain y axis after making the bigger region for citizen mines. With polygons I don't know how to do this. I suppose its possible to make a second region with polygons underground and //expand 10mil Down and hope that works. Is there any easier way to do this? I don't want to restrict my citizens from mining beyond the current city rings. how does everyone else do this?

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
gabizou said:
I have a quick question. With cuboid shaped regions I could simply make one larger region for the entire city and then i made another region that was below a certain y axis after making the bigger region for citizen mines. With polygons I don't know how to do this. I suppose its possible to make a second region with polygons underground and //expand 10mil Down and hope that works. Is there any easier way to do this? I don't want to restrict my citizens from mining beyond the current city rings. how does everyone else do this?

I ended up fixing it. I figured out how to make a region underground say like if you want people to be able to use mines under a capital city, heres how i did it:
  1. //sel poly
  2. Mark off points in a polygon surrounding capital ring
  3. once finished do //expand vert
  4. do /region define (capitalregion) (owner1) (owner2) (etc.)
  5. //contract 150 D
  6. i don't actually know the number you need to contract to a certain y level as it is not measured in that sense. So i had to use a mineshaft to figure out what the height was
  7. Once done selecting the "mine" region underground, do /region define miningregion owner1 owner2 etc.
  8. then /region setparent miningregion capitalregion
  9. and after that, set the flags to what you want and you're done!

LeoGeeko

Legacy Supporter 6
I´ve read all tutorials and such but for some reason I cant secure an area for building. I´m a Tier 6 donnor and everytime I try to use the expand command, it gives me a message that I dont have permissions. Any Clues? Or Maybe I just cant do it. Hehehehe