• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Recalling, Regions, and Town Rules

Which should occur to add a bit more excitement to raiding?

• Recall (not runestone) should be allowed in a region.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Dirt blocks shouldn't protect chests.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Towns should have fair seige mechanics, be TNT'able, or open with walls.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • None, my box in the ground is my home.

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

Tjundis

ICE ICE ICE!
Herocraft is supposedly a hardcore rpg/pvp server, and as someone fond of raiding and pvp in general, I enjoyed playing in DG with a few of my town members, as raiding and being raided unexpectedly was fun. You could find a gap in an enemy town's defenses and raid it with your town. It never ended in ruining the enemy's town, as they would fight you off eventually, but it was fun and rewarding.

As of a couple weeks ago, a rule was implemented that disallowed the use of any kind of recall to enter a location in which you don't have build permissions. I think runestones should have this limitation, but not a single person's recall.

It's hard enough to get into a town, as they will build a roof (not sure if it's legal), or simply make an undercity where they can be safe no matter what.

I think everyone should have a safe place in town where they can go if they don't want to pvp, but they shouldn't be able to dwell in a huge area for days with absolutely guaranteed safety, it makes things boring, and it's not much fun when the only people online that are accessible for pvp are new players to the server that are out mining or levelling up.

PvP and raiding is something that causes alliances to form, causes rivals to be made, and keeps things fresh and interesting.

To liven things up a little bit, I feel one of these things should happen:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
1. People are granted the ability to mark and recall inside a regioned area. If you spent hours looking for a way into a town and found one, you should be able to do something more with it than get killed and watch them patch up the hole.

2. You shouldn't be able to substitute 1 dirt block in place of 500s to make an LWC. Chests should be accessible regardless of whether or not there's a block on top. You can access your personal LWCs in this fashion, why not regular chests?

3. Towns should be defensible and difficult to get into, but still assailable. (#3 explained below)

This could be done in several ways:

-A suggestion I heard before was if a group of people stands near the town and an opposing group is inside, they may lay seige, and after a certain period - which could be used by the defending group to prepare - the attacking group is allowed to break regioned blocks, that will not drop as an item and will instead regenerate after a while. The permissions would be granted for 30 minutes or so, and you could only lay seige to any one town only a few times per day, and only when there is a group inside that can defend themselves.

-A miner's tnt can blow up regioned blocks that will regenerate at an adequate pace over time, and is placable and lightable regardless of permissions.

-Towns must be above ground and open aside from walls. Any underground cities will need some sort of defensible entrance.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

TLDR:

Raiding used to be more fun, I think towns are way too secure now, I feel that one of 3 things in this poll should happen. If you disagree and choose none, please explain why.

You can select multiple responses if you would be ok with any one of the responses you chose being implemented.

Last edited:

teddytazer

Soulsand
My town last map Underworld was underground, but we had 4 roads leading in, and a giant hole in the center so anyone could just jump on in.
with region protection, lwc's, personal regions it already makes raiding nearly impossible. Walls for battle defense are understandable, but building entire undercities closed off to the world and giant roofs and such to encase ones town in a protective shell should be outlawed.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
fair siege mechanics would be by far my favorite option, and i agree something is needed. But sieging should not be a options for the purpose of griefing non-lwc chests - i think chests should all be off limits during a siege period. Instead, make sieging a system for "capturing" a town. Let every town design their own banner, and when an enemy town "captures" a town they get a replica of that towns banner they can hang somewhere in their region. Give all members of a town special titles for capturing so many banners, etc.

How a town could be captured i dunno, i know programming can be an issue. Maybe something like "5 enemy players or more remain within regioned area for 20 mins" or something, if such a thing is possible. My favorite mechanic would be placing a "seige block" that defenders would have 20 minutes to destroy, again no idea if possible.

titles could be raider centric, like "marauder", "conquerer", "raider", "pillager", etc. Would be fun if towns could recapture their banners by sieging enemy who took it, thereby removing enemy titles, and the titles would have to be something continuously fought for to maintain.

Last edited:

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
I was never a fan of disabling Runestones / Recall within regions. From what I understand, players have -always- been able to recall into enemy towns. It wasn't until the end of Bastion that this was even removed, and I did so very begrudgingly. I'd like to see it come back, but I've talked to Kainzo about it on multiple occasions, and he seems to be very adamant on this particular issue.

You are unlikely to see it work in the future.

Ace6697

Gold
Dunno why so many people are hating on this, it brings valid points that need to be addressed. Such as miners tnt, we are pretty much useless when it come to that skill.

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8
I was never a fan of disabling Runestones / Recall within regions. From what I understand, players have -always- been able to recall into enemy towns. It wasn't until the end of Bastion that this was even removed, and I did so very begrudgingly. I'd like to see it come back, but I've talked to Kainzo about it on multiple occasions, and he seems to be very adamant on this particular issue.

The thing about recalling into regions before runestones it was near impossible to get rid of someone as it was and extraordinarily tedious as a defender. It may have been fun as someone who raids, but it would drive me nuts and make it completely unfun to have to kill someone only for them to get back in and there was literally nothing you could do about it except fill your entire basement with lava and have to catch them when they came in. With the addition of runestones, there's no downside to marking or making a runestone in someone's undercity.

If I had someone camping me inside my town, and I couldn't do a thing about it and they repeatedly came back, I know most people would probably quit.

That's why it's important not to have it.

If there were some downside to marking inside another towns regions, and more importantly a town could have a way to know the location of all marks in their town that would make it at least tolerable if still extremely obnoxious to clear out someone of your town.

A possible way to make this work:
Runestones can't be made inside areas you don't have perms or used to places you don't have perms (or fully drained each time you recall in)

You can mark but it gets removed after recalling into it once. Where you recall is mailed or somehow stored/ a sign is put down or something so that the defending town can find where you had marked. I would also make this mark cost more than a single iron ingot. You would have to refresh the mark every time you used it, but they would at least be able to have some idea where you marked the first time.

You can still use runestones to get out, you just can't use them to get in.

Not that I'm a fan of marking in undercities, but this is a somewhat okay way to implement this in my mind.

Last edited:

Tjundis

ICE ICE ICE!

Well I guess that's that, but I think maybe something could happen with TNT. I believe at some point Kainzo wanted to allow tnt to break regioned blocks below the surface, which would make only undercities vulnerable, but that idea never came to fruition.

A combination of build rules that make towns vaguely raidable, while allowing TNT to break through undercity regions would certainly make things alot more interesting. I think towns should be able to have a safe place to prevent camping of low levels, however.

Edit: I don't have a problem with the disagreements/f-palms, but I would like to know why you disagree. :/

Last edited: