• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Ranger Suggestion Snare/Disengage

c12095

Holy Shit!
If you've played a Ranger on the test server you know how hard it is to get away from someone in melee combat. You can get away if you manage to knock the person in a hole/water, or by some chance land a lucky ice arrow. But your pretty much out of luck otherwise. I suggest giving rangers one of the two skills mentioned below.

Snare
Mana Cost - 20%
Effect - Same slowing effect as Ice arrow, just in melee range.​
Distance - 2 or 3 blocks​
Disengage (Suggested by ShizzDawgg)
Mana Cost - 20 or 30%​
Effect - For all those wow players you should know, this will basically be a reverse jump of Dragoons, moving the ranger back out of combat allowing them another chance at hitting the target with their bow.​
Distance - Less than the power of Jump for dragoons but still enough to get them away from their attacker and a chance to shoot at them again.​

GraRona

Portal
If one of these skills will be added, I suggest removing the skill farsight as it can be accomplished with Optifine's zoom function.

GraRona

Portal
Not everyone uses optifine ;)

Even if not everyone uses optifine, farsight is not a good skill anyways. It doesn't adjust you're arrow curvature in anyway so you have to aim higher up than usual to land a hit. In addition, it is completely useless in any 1v1 as it slows you down while it is in effect.

icarumba

Legacy Supporter 4
I agree with either or both of the skills you mentioned. Rangers, while powerful from range, are practically useless if someone is up in their face. To give them a fair chance, disengage would be great to pull off an extra shot or two.

c12095

Holy Shit!
I agree with either or both of the skills you mentioned. Rangers, while powerful from range, are practically useless if someone is up in their face. To give them a fair chance, disengage would be great to pull off an extra shot or two.

Personally i'm leaning more to Disengage, it would add an extra amount of skill needed for the Ranger class, and for all those people who are unaware of their surroundings, a new challenge to master to become better at the class.

Cracksz

Stone
ranger is already quite powerful and has a wolf and a slow to stop people getting close giving it more mobility would be too overpowering cant you just use icearrow as your snare since its the same skill i dont see the problem D:

c12095

Holy Shit!
ranger is already quite powerful and has a wolf and a slow to stop people getting close giving it more mobility would be too overpowering cant you just use icearrow as your snare since its the same skill i dont see the problem D:

From reading post I can already tell that you have not played a ranger before. Go try one and see how hard it is to get an ice arrow off while getting smacked around with knockback in melee range and having them running circles around you while doing so, you only make a shot if your lucky.

Zaspar

Legacy Supporter 2
From reading post I can already tell that you have not played a ranger before. Go try one and see how hard it is to get an ice arrow off while getting smacked around with knockback in melee range and having them running circles around you while doing so, you only make a shot if your lucky.

I played a 55 ranger on the test server, and they're really good for surprise. I also witnessed Doogler being able to rapidly shoot many decently drawn back arrows at enemies.

An ice arrow would only be if you wanted to maintain a ranged advantage, and if you would strike first.

A "ranger" in RP terms is supposed to use a bow, and only go into close-quarters combat if absoulutely necessary.

malmenca

Diamond
I think a melee slow would be pretty reasonable. As for the disengage, I think it all depends on the rangers skill. If they are good, they are engaging fights from a distance. If they get caught up somewhere, they should be "penalized" for it by dying. Play smart and you wont need a disengage (sure its always helpful but yeah...) I've taken some arrow hits and the damage is brutal, knock someone with 3, 2 or even 1 hit and the axe plus armor will do some nice work on anyone.

GraRona

Portal
I played a 55 ranger on the test server, and they're really good for surprise. I also witnessed Doogler being able to rapidly shoot many decently drawn back arrows at enemies.

An ice arrow would only be if you wanted to maintain a ranged advantage, and if you would strike first.

A "ranger" in RP terms is supposed to use a bow, and only go into close-quarters combat if absoulutely necessary.

Heroes classes aren't completely made off of roleplay. They also are made for balance. If classes were made off of roleplay, casters would be able to do every single skill since they have magic and magic.... can do anything.

Zaspar

Legacy Supporter 2
Heroes classes aren't completely made off of roleplay. They also are made for balance. If classes were made off of roleplay, casters would be able to do every single skill since they have magic and magic.... can do anything.

Magic doing everything would be powergaming, which is basically having an almost godlike character in RP terms.

Thejoker1177

Legacy Supporter 3
Disengage would be great. It would be best if you only could jump back. So wherever you are facing, you hop back away while still facing your target.

MeganPerk

Legacy Supporter 6
Rangers have a wonderful ability to rip melee apart - arrow flurry. As well, I'm not sure if the people whining about rangers sucking at melee but raping from a distance realize that they are called "ranger" for a reason.

Sleaker

Retired Staff
If one of these skills will be added, I suggest removing the skill farsight as it can be accomplished with Optifine's zoom function.

this should be disabled/banned. You shouldn't be able to zoom in with your client, we have a skill that only a select class has access to. Circumventing this is also known as exploiting.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
this should be disabled/banned. You shouldn't be able to zoom in with your client, we have a skill that only a select class has access to. Circumventing this is also known as exploiting.
At the moment it's built into Optifine (which neo put on the approved mod list)