• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Ranger Suggestion Snare/Disengage

Zaspar

Legacy Supporter 2
agreed, i think spoutcraft also have optifine built in too.
I've heard that Spoutcraft uses an older version of Optifine, and I am starting to believe this performance-wise.

I got the dual core optifine, which is better for my comp than the vanilla optifine that comes with spout (dual core intel here). The performance is better than spout.

However - I must say that spout has some great features, and I like the terrain smoothing as well.

If we could get spoutcraft for this server, I envision good things. :)

On another note: I tried using the optifine zoom function, it didn't really help my aim personally. I don't use it anymore really, however it's good for reading nametags at a distance.

Sleaker

Retired Staff
however it's good for reading nametags at a distance.

That's exactly what I want to block :p

Also the server is starting to use more and more spoutcraft features, you'll all notice that your titles are displayed above your head, and vanish when sneaking.

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
Rangers are meant to engage targets from a distance, not to get up and personal with enemies. Giving rangers a skill that allows them to keep away from targets is not fair. That would be like giving melee classes the ability to keep ranged opponents closer (excluding dragoons, who are more practical to use against ranged opponents).

I rate classes like this:
Every class is rated on its armor, health, ranged, melee, and mobility.

Armor= bad +0, decent +1, excellent +2
Health= bad +0, decent +1, excellent +2

Ranged=bad/NA +0, good +1, excellent +2
Melee=bad +0, good +1, excellent +2

Mobility=Bad (I'm not sure if it is possible to have it worse than normal) +0, average +1, excellent +2

If a class has 4 or less, it is in need of some <3
If a class has 5-6 points it is average-good respectively
If a class has 7 or greater, it may need to be toned down

Rangers are Good;
Their armor is decent +1, their health is decent +1, their ranged capabilities are excellent +2, their melee capabilities are good +1(diamond axe and now wolves) and their mobility is average +1(no perks that aid and nothing that hinders) = 6 points on the stepur-PvP-scale

Dragoons are Great;
Their armor is excellent +2, their health is excellent +2, their ranged capabilities are NA +0, their melee capabilities are good +1, and their mobility is excellent +2 = 7 points on the stepur-PvP-scale

Adding a disengage skill would increase a rangers mobility, rangers are not in need of much seeing that they are already a well-off class.

This scale is also to be used generally. I am not going to factor in what happens when certain classes are in certain situations. If you do not want to be caught in a situation where you are face to face with an enemy, take precautionary steps to avoid just that. Shoot and run and shoot, stay hidden so people do not get the jump on you, use your wolf as bait to give you time to get away, etc.

Close-quarters combat is a ranger's weakness, you cannot make it so a class has no weaknesses or else you will end up with an OP class.

Zaspar

Legacy Supporter 2
That's exactly what I want to block :p

Also the server is starting to use more and more spoutcraft features, you'll all notice that your titles are displayed above your head, and vanish when sneaking.

I used spout for a short period of time and saw these, thought they were cool - however, sometimes I cannot see any nametag even if the person is not sneaking.

GraRona

Portal
Rangers are meant to engage targets from a distance, not to get up and personal with enemies. Giving rangers a skill that allows them to keep away from targets is not fair. That would be like giving melee classes the ability to keep ranged opponents closer (excluding dragoons, who are more practical to use against ranged opponents).

I rate classes like this:
Every class is rated on its armor, health, ranged, melee, and mobility.

Armor= bad +0, decent +1, excellent +2
Health= bad +0, decent +1, excellent +2

Ranged=bad/NA +0, good +1, excellent +2
Melee=bad +0, good +1, excellent +2

Mobility=Bad (I'm not sure if it is possible to have it worse than normal) +0, average +1, excellent +2

If a class has 4 or less, it is in need of some <3
If a class has 5-6 points it is average-good respectively
If a class has 7 or greater, it may need to be toned down

Rangers are Good;
Their armor is decent +1, their health is decent +1, their ranged capabilities are excellent +2, their melee capabilities are good +1(diamond axe and now wolves) and their mobility is average +1(no perks that aid and nothing that hinders) = 6 points on the stepur-PvP-scale

Dragoons are Great;
Their armor is excellent +2, their health is excellent +2, their ranged capabilities are NA +0, their melee capabilities are good +1, and their mobility is excellent +2 = 7 points on the stepur-PvP-scale

Adding a disengage skill would increase a rangers mobility, rangers are not in need of much seeing that they are already a well-off class.

This scale is also to be used generally. I am not going to factor in what happens when certain classes are in certain situations. If you do not want to be caught in a situation where you are face to face with an enemy, take precautionary steps to avoid just that. Shoot and run and shoot, stay hidden so people do not get the jump on you, use your wolf as bait to give you time to get away, etc.

Close-quarters combat is a ranger's weakness, you cannot make it so a class has no weaknesses or else you will end up with an OP class.

What c12 is trying to say is that their melee capabilities are not enough and rangers should get some sort of skill to aid them in close quarters. You say that rangers have good melee, which is wrong. Rangers must tame wolves now (no summoning so seeing a ranger with a wolf will be very rare). Also, I think you are still under the impression that rangers have an 8 dmg axe, which they do not after the nerf which put it to 5.

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
What c12 is trying to say is that their melee capabilities are not enough and rangers should get some sort of skill to aid them in close quarters. You say that rangers have good melee, which is wrong. Rangers must tame wolves now (no summoning so seeing a ranger with a wolf will be very rare). Also, I think you are still under the impression that rangers have an 8 dmg axe, which they do not after the nerf which put it to 5.
Well rangers aren't meant to be melee fighters, so a skill to aid them in close quarters would only cancel out their only weakness.

As I said above:

GraRona

Portal
Rangers have a wonderful ability to rip melee apart - arrow flurry. As well, I'm not sure if the people whining about rangers sucking at melee but raping from a distance realize that they are called "ranger" for a reason.

Not applicable anymore. Rangers got the skill arrow storm removed so I feel one of these skills would be a good addition to replace it.

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Remastered Tier 2 Supporter
A little off topic, but I want to throw out that 'Ranger' does not mean 'a ranged character'. A ranger is a warden/scout who spend a significant amount of time away from civilization.

From freedictionary.com:
1. A wanderer; a rover.
2. A member of an armed troop employed in patrolling a specific region.

Back on topic, I'd be more in support of the disengage skill than the root, as long, as the Ranger can't just keep bunny-hopping backwards (controlled by cooldown).

GraRona

Portal
A little off topic, but I want to throw out that 'Ranger' does not mean 'a ranged character'. A ranger is a warden/scout who spend a significant amount of time away from civilization.

From freedictionary.com:
1. A wanderer; a rover.
2. A member of an armed troop employed in patrolling a specific region.

Back on topic, I'd be more in support of the disengage skill than the root, as long, as the Ranger can't just keep bunny-hopping backwards (controlled by cooldown).

Agreed. In addition, disengage should have a decent mana cost, maybe even 50% if necessary to make sure that it is a last resort move and that a ranger can't use it that well in a combo of firearrow/icearrow.

agentjwall

Godly
The way I see it adding it could have three effects:

1.) Is completely OP -- Solution: Remove it.
2.) Is unbalanced to some extent -- Solution: Balance class as a whole to compensate
3.) Adds a new dynamic to the class without unbalancing it -- Solution: Party and have some cake!

From this I don't see why the "don't knock it 'till you try it" approach wouldn't work. After all, live testing gives us a much clearer idea of what it will be like unlike the endless hypothetical discussions on the forums...

Sleaker

Retired Staff
I used spout for a short period of time and saw these, thought they were cool - however, sometimes I cannot see any nametag even if the person is not sneaking.

yah @Kainzo needs to throw the fix in for this. but we're aware of the issue and I've patched it, just waiting for it to go live.

c12095

Holy Shit!
@Sleaker

Could an Armor Piercing Arrow be possible to code? Kinda like the fire arrow where its on your next arrow attack. It would just ignore the armor for an arrow or two.

whitemagehealu

Legacy Supporter 7
Rangers have the highest hp of any rogue spec, the best armor next to bard(who has the lowest hp), and the highest damaging weapon of any spec. In close quarters you have wolves and you can also just spam your arrows it's not like it needs to be fully charged to do max damage. I feel like they don't need anything else but I'm not one to make that decision. x)